Pals of the Saddle - Ernest Borgnine

There are 13 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,319 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ernest Borgnine was born Ermes Effron Borgnino on January 24, 1917, in Hamden, Connecticut. His parents were Charles who had emigrated from Ottiglio (AL), Italy and Anna who had emigrated from Carpi (MO), Italy. As an only child, Ernest enjoyed most sports, especially boxing, but took no real interest in acting. At 18, after graduating from high school in New Haven, and undecided about his future career, he joined the navy, where he stayed for ten years until leaving in 1945. After a few factory jobs, his mother suggested that his forceful personality could make him suitable for a career in acting, and Borgnine promptly enrolled at the Randall School of Drama in Hartford.

After completing the course he joined Robert Porterfield's famous Barter Theatre in Abingdon, Virginia, staying there for four years, undertaking odd jobs and playing every type of role imaginable. His big break came in 1949, when he made his acting debut on Broadway playing a male nurse in "Harvey". In 1951 Borgnine moved to Los Angeles to pursue a movie career, and made his film debut as Bill Street in The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951). His career took off in 1953 when he was cast in the role of Sgt. "Fatso" Judson in From Here to Eternity (1953). This memorable performance led to numerous supporting roles as "heavies" in a steady string of dramas and westerns. He played against type in 1955 by securing the lead role of Marty Piletti, a shy and sensitive butcher, in Marty (1955). He won an Academy Award for Best Actor for his performance, despite strong competition from Spencer Tracy, Frank Sinatra, James Dean and James Cagney. Throughout the 1950s and early 1960s Borgnine performed memorably in such films as The Catered Affair (1956) and Emperor of the North (1973). Between 1962 and 1966 he played LCDR Quinton McHale in the popular TV series "McHale's Navy" (1962). In early 1984 he returned to television as Dominic Santini in the action series "Airwolf" (1984), and in 1995 he was cast in the comedy "The Single Guy" (1995) as doorman Manny Cordoba. He also appeared in several made-for-TV movies. Ernest Borgnine has often stated that acting is his greatest passion, and he's still working today. His amazing 51-year career includes appearances in over 100 feature films and three television series, as well as voiceovers in animated films such as All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (1996) and Small Soldiers (1998). He is married to Tova Traesnaes, who heads her own cosmetics company. They live in Beverly Hills, where Borgnine assists his wife between film projects. When not acting, he actively supports numerous charities and speaks tirelessly at benefits throughout the country. He has been awarded several honorary doctorates from colleges across the US as well as numerous Lifetime Achievement Awards. In 1996 he purchased a bus and traveled across the U.S. to see the country and meet his many fans. On December 17, 1999, he presented the University of North Alabama with a collection of scripts from his film and television career, as he is good friends with alumni and actor George Lindsey.

Spouse

Tova Borgnine(24 February 1973 - present)
    Donna Rancourt(30 June 1965 - 1 January 1972) (divorced) 3 children
    Ethel Merman(27 June 1964 - 28 July 1964) (divorced)
    Katy Jurado(31 December 1959 - 3 June 1963) (divorced)
    Rhoda Kemins(2 September 1949 - 29 August 1958) (divorced) 1 child

Trade Mark

Gruff, but gentle voice.
    Gap between his two front teeth.

Trivia

• He spent 10 years in the Navy prior to acting.
    • There is an instrumental techno track called "Theme From 'Ernest Borgnine'" by the artist Squarepusher on the album 'Feed Me Weird Things' (1996, Rephlex Records UK).
    • Involved in an air crash in 1996.
    • Had both knees replaced. [1999]
    • Was the very first "center square" on "The Hollywood Squares" (1965) (during its premiere week in October 1966).
    • He auditioned for the lead role in Marty (1955) while shooting Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) in Lone Pine, Calif.
    • Has periodically performed as the "Grand Clown" for The Great Circus Parade in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, since the 1970s.
    • Inducted into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1996.
    • His parents were Charles Borgnine and Anna Boselli (old family countess), who had emigrated from Carpi (near Modena) Italy.
    • Is an active Freemason and is presently the Honorary Chairman of the Scottish Rite RiteCare Program, which sponsors 175 Scottish Rite Childhood Language Disorders Clinics, Centers, and Programs nationwide.
    • Is a Master Mason and has been elevated to the 33rd Degree in Scottish Rite.
    • Has the distinction of appearing in more of the 100 Most Enjoyably Awful Movies of All Time as listed in Razzie Award-founder John Wilson's book "The Official Razzie Movie Guide" than any other actor -- A total of four: The Adventurers (1969), The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968)The Oscar (1966), and The Poseidon Adventure (1972).
    • He was made an honorary U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer by Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy (MCPON) Terry Scott on October 15, 2004. He served in the U.S. Navy for ten years from 1935-1945 and left the service as a Gunner's Mate 1st Class.
    • While on location in Mexico filming Vera Cruz (1954), he and fellow cast member Charles Bronson found themselves with some extra time on their hands and decided to go to the nearest town to get some cigarettes. Still in full costume -- including bandoliers and pistols -- they mounted their horses and headed out. Along the way they were spotted by a truckful of Mexican "federales" -- federal police -- who mistook them for bandits and held them at gunpoint until their identities could be verified.
    • Speaks fluent Italian.
    • Referenced in 'Weird Al' Yankovic's song "Your Horoscope for Today."
    • His car licence plate is BORG9.
    • Former member of the Citizen's Stamp Advisory Committee (CSAC).
    • Twice-wed Borgnine married thrice-wed Broadway diva Ethel Merman in 1964. Their marriage was dissolved after 32 days. They had announced their impending nuptials at the legendary New York night spot P.J. Clarke's, but Borgnine, who was riding high as the star of "McHale's Navy" (1962) at the time, said the marriage began unraveling on their honeymoon, when he received more fan attention than she did. The competitive Merman was left seething. "By the time we got home, it was hell on earth," Borgnine recalled in a 2001 interview. "And after 32 days I said to her, 'Madam, bye.'" Borgnine went on to marry a third time, but Merman remained single after her divorce. In her 1978 biography, she devoted a chapter of her autobiography to the marriage: It consisted of one blank page.
    • Father of Sharon Borgnine (born August 5th 1965), Cris Borgnine (born August 9th 1969) and Diana Rancourt-Borgnine (born December 29th 1970) with Donna Rancourt. Daughter Nancee Borgnine (aka Gina Kemins-Borgnine) (born August 18th 1952) with Rhoda Kemins.
    • Made a special Academy Awards appearance in 1998, at the The 70th Annual Academy Awards (1998) (TV), and in 2005 at the The 75th Annual Academy Awards (2003) (TV) and participated in the Oscar Winners Tribute sequence along with other Academy Award winners.
    • On March 3, 2006, he was given a standing ovation when introduced at the National Italian American Foundation's salute to the Academy Awards, which was celebrating 78 years of Italian-American Oscar winners and nominees. Former Motion Picture Producers Association of America chief Jack Valenti co-chaired the dinner, and Italian-Americans in attendance included Connie Stevens, Dom DeLuise, Robert Loggia and Al Martino as well as Italian actor Franco Nero.
    • On February 5 2007, he received California's highest civilian honor, the California Commendation Medal. It was presented to him on the set of A Grandpa for Christmas (2007) (TV) by Major General William H. Wade II, Adjutant General and Commander of the California National Guard for a lifetime of exceptionally meritorious service as well as recognizing Borgnine's "heartfelt advocacy on behalf of military personnel and veterans on many fronts, including the California National Guard".
    • In 2007, Borgnine became the first Oscar winner for Best Actor to be still alive on his 90th birthday.
    • Is the only actor to star in all four 'Dirty Dozen' films.
    • Best known by the public for his starring role as the title character in "McHale's Navy" (1962).
    • Lives in the same Beverly Hills, CA home that he bought in 1965.
    • His former "McHale's Navy" (1962) co-star, Tim Conway, was reunited with him in having a recurring role on "SpongeBob SquarePants" (1999), on separate episodes of each show.
    • His star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is at 6324 Hollywood Blvd.
    • His second ex-wife Katy Jurado, died in 2002. He referred to her as "beautiful, but a tiger.".
    • According to his autobiography, "Ernie", he only has three children: Nancee Borgnine, from his first wife, Rhoda Kemins, and Sharon Borgnine and Cris Borgnine from his wife, Donna Rancourt.
    • Remained good friends with Tim Conway during and after "McHale's Navy" (1962).
    • His fifth wife, Tova Borgnine, is almost 25 years his junior.
    • For 30 years, between 1972 and 2002, he marched in Milwaukee's annual Great Circus Parade as the "Grand Clown.".
    • His mother, Anna Borgnine, died in 1949, after a long battle against tuberculosis, just days before his first wedding.
    • Was/is good friends with: Eddie Albert, Michael Landon, Telly Savalas, George Kennedy, Angie Dickinson, Don Rickles, Frank Sinatra, Montgomery Clift and George Lindsey.
    • Is an active Republican.
    • Before he was a successful actor, he worked in a variety of factory jobs in a warehouse.
    • Will be honored with the Screen Actors Guild's Lifetime Achievement Award on January 2011.
    • Father-in-law of Kim Borgnine.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Edited 2 times, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• Here are some personal quotes from Borgnine:

Personal Quotes

• Spencer Tracy was the first actor I've seen who could just look down into the dirt and command a scene. He played a set-up with Robert Ryan that way. He's looking down at the road and then he looks at Ryan at just the precise, right minute. I tell you, Rob could've stood on his head and zipped open his fly and the scene would've still been Mr Tracy's.
    • The trick is not to become somebody else. You become somebody else when you're in front of a camera or when you're on stage. There are some people who carry it all the time. That, to me, is not acting. What you've gotta do is find out what the writer wrote about and put it into your mind. This is acting. Not going out and researching what the writer has already written. This is crazy!
    • Everything I do has a moral to it. Yes, I've been in films that have had shootings. I made The Wild Bunch (1969), which was the beginning of the splattering of blood and everything else. But there was a moral behind it. The moral was that, by golly, bad guys got it. That was it. Yeah.
    • Ever since they opened the floodgates with Clark Gable saying, 'Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn,' somebody's ears pricked up and said, 'Oh boy, here we go!'. Writers used to make such wonderful pictures without all that swearing, all that cursing. And now it seems that you can't say three words without cursing. And I don't think that's right.
    • "I didn't see it and I don't care to see it ... If John Wayne were alive, he'd be rolling over in his grave." - On Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    • [On his $5,000 salary for playing the eponymous lead in Marty (1955), which won him a Best Actor Oscar] "...I would have done it for nothing."
    • Robert Ryan was a craftsman from start to finish. He was an actor first, a star second.
    • Where can we find the great actors we had yesteryear, guys like Spencer Tracy and Gary Cooper and Edward G. Robinson? You know, I was talking to Lee Marvin the other day and we agreed that we were the last of a breed. We're the last who had the opportunity of working with these fine actors. I feel very humble. It makes me feel that I've got to try that bit harder.
    • I like my women a little big. Natural. Now, they shave this and wax that. It's not right. I love natural women. Big women. This trend in women has to go. Bulomia, anorexia. That's just wrong. You know what will cure that? My special sticky buns. One lick of my sticky buns and your appetite will come right back.
    • [On Womens Rights]: The tried it the wrong way. You can't expect anyone to take you seriously if you burn your undies and tell me I'm a pig. That's why it failed. Too many ugly broads telling me that they don't want to sleep with me. Who wanted you anyway?
    • I hate hippies and dopeheads. Just hate them. I'm glad we sent the men off to war. They came back with a sense of responsibility and respect. We should have grabbed the women, given them a bath, put a chastity belt on them, and put them in secretary school.
    • [on his marriage to Ethel Merman]: Biggest mistake of my life. I thought I was marrying Rosemary Clooney.
    • [On drugs]: No, I've never done anything. At least, not to my knowledge. I once took a bunch of goofballs by accident. They looked like candy. They were in a little bowl at a party. I grabbed a hand full and went to town. That was some New Years Eve. I didn't have a coherent thought till February.
    • [reflecting on Paul Newman's passing:] What can you possibly say about such a wonderful, dedicated man? He was a great guy. I feel he is much better off, God bless him, I feel so sorry for his wife, Joanne, who is just the most lovely person, too. But, hey, he left his mark, God bless him, and you can't say no more than that, by golly. He left not only that, but he left a wonderful thing that he'd been doing for everyone - I mean, donating all his money from different things that he's done to help children.

Salary

Marty (1955)$5,000From Here to Eternity (1953)$700 a week

Where Are They Now

(2008) Release of his memoirs, "Ernie: An Autobiography".

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Filmography of Ernest Borgnine

1. Night Club (2011) (post-production) .... Albert
    2. Enemy Mind (2010) (post-production) .... Command
    3. Snatched (2010) (post-production) .... Big Frank Baum
    4. Red (2010/I) (completed) .... Henry
    5. The Lion of Judah (2011) .... Slink
    6. The Genesis Code (2010) .... Carl Taylor
    7. "SpongeBob SquarePants" .... Mermaid Man / ... (11 episodes, 1999-2010)
      ... aka "SpongeBob" - USA (short title)
      - Back to the Past/The Bad Guy Club for Villains (2010) TV episode (voice) .... Mermaid Man
      - Shuffleboarding/Slide Whistle Stooges (2009) TV episode (voice) .... Mermaidman
      - Dear Vikings/Ditchin (2008) TV episode (voice) .... Mermaidman
      - Blackened Sponge/Mermaid Man vs. Sponge (2007) TV episode .... Mermaid Man
      - The Original Fry Cook/Night Light (2007) TV episode (voice) .... Mermaid Man
      (6 more)
    8. Wishing Well (2009) (TV) .... Big Jim
    9. Another Harvest Moon (2009) .... Frank
    10. "ER" .... Paul Manning (2 episodes, 2009)
      - And in the End... (2009) TV episode .... Paul Manning
      - Old Times (2009) TV episode .... Paul Manning
    11. The Prologue to Houdini Magic's Expert at the Card Table (2008) .... Narrator
    12. Frozen Stupid (2008) .... Frank Norgard
    13. I Am Somebody: No Chance in Hell (2008) .... Judge Holliday
      ... aka "Chinaman's Chance" - USA (original title)
    14. Aces 'N' Eights (2008) (TV) .... Thurmond Prescott
    15. Strange Wilderness (2008) .... Milas
    16. A Grandpa for Christmas (2007) (TV) .... Bert O'Riley
    17. Oliviero Rising (2007) .... Bill
    18. La cura del gorilla (2006) .... Jerry Warden
    19. Rail Kings (2005) (V) .... Steamtrain
    20. 3 Below (2005) (V) .... Grandpa
    21. That One Summer (2005) (V) .... Otis Garner
    22. The Trail to Hope Rose (2004) (TV) .... Eugene
    23. Renegade (2004) .... Rolling Star
      ... aka "Blueberry" - France (original title)
    24. Barn Red (2004) .... Michael Bolini
    25. The Blue Light (2004) (TV) .... Faerie King
    26. The Long Ride Home (2003) .... Lucas Moat
    27. "The District" .... Uncle Mike Murphy (1 episode, 2003)
      - Last Waltz (2003) TV episode .... Uncle Mike Murphy
    28. September 11 (2002) .... (segment "USA")
      ... aka "11'09''01 - September 11" - UK (original title)
      ... aka "Eleven Minutes, Nine Seconds, One Image: September 11" - International (English title)
    29. "Family Law" .... Frank Collero (1 episode, 2002)
      - Alienation of Affection (2002) TV episode .... Frank Collero
    30. "7th Heaven" .... Joe (1 episode, 2002)
      ... aka "7th Heaven: Beginnings" - USA (rerun title)
      - The Known Soldier (2002) TV episode .... Joe
    31. "Touched by an Angel" .... Max (1 episode, 2002)
      - The Blue Angel (2002) TV episode .... Max
    32. Whiplash (2002) .... Judge DuPont
    33. SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge (2001) (VG) (voice) .... Mermaid Man
    34. Hoover (2000) .... J. Edgar Hoover
    35. "Walker, Texas Ranger" .... Eddie Ryan (1 episode, 2000)
      - The Avenging Angel (2000) TV episode .... Eddie Ryan
    36. "Chicken Soup for the Soul" .... Lawrence Yaeger (1 episode, 2000)
      - Footprints on My Heart/Legacy/Elopement (2000) TV episode .... Lawrence Yaeger
    37. Castle Rock (2000) .... Nate
    38. The Lost Treasure of Sawtooth Island (2000) .... Ben Quinn
    39. The Kiss of Debt (2000) .... Godfather Mariano
    40. Abilene (1999) .... Hotis Brown
    41. "Early Edition" .... Antonio Birelli (1 episode, 1999)
      - The Last Untouchable (1999) TV episode .... Antonio Birelli
    42. The Last Great Ride (1999) .... Franklin Lyle
    43. An All Dogs Christmas Carol (1998) (V) (voice) .... Carface
    44. Mel (1998) .... Grandpa
    45. 12 Bucks (1998) .... Lucky
    46. BASEketball (1998) .... Ted Denslow
    47. Small Soldiers (1998) (voice) .... Kip Killagin
    48. "JAG" .... Artemus Sullivan (1 episode, 1998)
      - Yesterday's Heroes (1998) TV episode .... Artemus Sullivan
    49. "All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series" .... Carface (6 episodes, 1996-1998)
      - The Big Fetch (1998) TV episode (voice) .... Carface
      - Charlie's Cat-Astrophe (1997) TV episode (voice) .... Carface
      - La Doggie Vita (1997) TV episode (voice) .... Carface
      - Dog Eat Dog (1997) TV episode (voice) .... Carface
      - Field Trip (1996) TV episode (voice) .... Carface
      (1 more)
    50. Gattaca (1997) .... Caesar
    51. McHale's Navy (1997) .... Cobra
    52. "The Single Guy" .... Doorman / ... (23 episodes, 1995-1997)
      - Vegas Finale (1997) TV episode .... Doorman Manny
      - Moving (1996) TV episode .... Doorman
      - Pop (1996) TV episode .... Doorman
      - Kids (1996) TV episode .... Doorman
      - Lovenest (1996) TV episode .... Doorman
      (18 more)
    53. "Pinky and the Brain" .... Father (1 episode, 1996)
      - The Third Mouse/The Visit (1996) TV episode (voice) .... Father
    54. All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 (1996) (voice) .... Carface
    55. Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders (1996) .... Grandfather
    56. Tierärztin Christine II: Die Versuchung (1995) (TV) .... Dr. Gustav Gruber
    57. Captiva Island (1995) .... Arty
    58. "The Commish" .... Frank Nardino (2 episodes, 1993-1994)
      - A Christmas Story (1994) TV episode .... Frank Nardino
      - Rising Sun (1993) TV episode .... Frank Nardino
    59. Spirit of the Season (1994) (V) .... Grandfather
    60. Outlaws: The Legend of O.B. Taggart (1994)
    61. Tierärztin Christine (1993) (TV) .... Dr. Gustav Gruber
    62. Der blaue Diamant (1993) (TV) .... Hans Kroger
    63. "Home Improvement" .... Eddie Phillips (1 episode, 1992)
      - Birds of a Feather Flock to Taylor (1992) TV episode .... Eddie Phillips
    64. Mountain of Diamonds (1991) (TV) .... Ernie
    65. Appearances (1990) (TV) .... Emil Danzig
    66. Tides of War (1990) .... Doctor
    67. L'ultima partita (1990) .... Coach
    68. Laser Mission (1989) .... Prof. Braun
    69. "Jake and the Fatman" .... Col. Tom Cody (1 episode, 1989)
      - My Shining Hour (1989) TV episode .... Col. Tom Cody
    70. Jake Spanner, Private Eye (1989) (TV) .... Sal
    71. Real Men Don't Eat Gummi Bears (1989) .... Bischof
      ... aka "Gummibärchen küßt man nicht" - West Germany (original title)
    72. "Ocean" (1989) TV mini-series .... Pedro El Triste
      ... aka "Oceano" - Venezuela (original title)
    73. Spike of Bensonhurst (1988) .... Baldo Cacetti
      ... aka "Throw Back!" - USA (video title)
      ... aka "Mafia Kid" - Belgium (English title) (video title)
    74. The Dirty Dozen: The Fatal Mission (1988) (TV) .... Gen. Sam Worden
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen 4" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen IV" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "The Dirty Dozen 4" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "The Dirty Dozen IV" - International (English title) (informal title)
    75. Bersaglio sull'autostrada (1988) .... Captain Morrison
    76. Any Man's Death (1988) .... Herr Gantz
    77. The Big Turnaround (1988)
    78. "L'isola del tesoro" (1987) TV mini-series .... Billy Bones
      ... aka "Treasure Island in Outer Space" - Europe (English title)
    79. Dirty Dozen: The Deadly Mission (1987) (TV) .... General Sam Worden
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen 3" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen III" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "The Dirty Dozen: The Deadly Mission" - USA (DVD box title)
    80. "Murder, She Wrote" .... Cosmo Ponzini (1 episode, 1987)
      - Death Takes a Dive (1987) TV episode .... Cosmo Ponzini
    81. Qualcuno pagherà? (1987) .... Victor
      ... aka "Uppercut Man" - USA (video title)
    82. Skeleton Coast (1987) .... Col. Smith
    83. "Highway to Heaven" .... Guido Liggo (1 episode, 1986)
      - Another Kind of War, Another Kind of Peace (1986) TV episode .... Guido Liggo
    84. "Airwolf" .... Dominic / ... (56 episodes, 1984-1986)
      ... aka "Lobo del aire" - USA (Spanish title)
      - Birds of Paradise (1986) TV episode .... Dominic
      - Tracks (1986) TV episode .... Dominic
      - The Girl Who Fell from the Sky (1986) TV episode .... Dominic Santini
      - Break-In at Santa Paula (1986) TV episode .... Dominic
      - Hawke's Run (1986) TV episode .... Dominic Santini
      (51 more)
    85. Alice in Wonderland (1985) (TV) .... Lion
      ... aka "Alice Through the Looking Glass" - USA (video title (second part title))
    86. The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission (1985) (TV) .... Gen. Worden
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen 2" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen II" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen: Next Mission" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "The Dirty Dozen 2" - International (English title) (informal title)
      ... aka "The Dirty Dozen II" - International (English title) (informal title)
    87. The Manhunt (1984) .... Ben Robeson
      ... aka "Cane arrabbiato" - Italy (original title)
      ... aka "Mad Dog" - Europe (English title) (video title)
      ... aka "Man Hunt" - USA (TV title)
    88. Love Leads the Way: A True Story (1984) (TV) .... Sen. Brighton
    89. Code Name: Wild Geese (1984) .... Fletcher
      ... aka "Geheimcode: Wildgänse" - Italy (original title)
    90. "The Last Days of Pompeii" (1984) TV mini-series .... Marcus (unknown episodes)
    91. Airwolf (1984) (TV) .... Dominic
    92. "Masquerade" .... Jerry (1 episode, 1983)
      - Pilot (1983) TV episode .... Jerry
    93. Carpool (1983) (TV) .... Mickey Doyle
    94. Young Warriors (1983) .... Lt. Bob Carrigan
      ... aka "The Graduates of Malibu High" - USA (alternative title)
    95. Blood Feud (1983) (TV) .... J. Edgar Hoover
    96. "Matt Houston" .... Buster Ryan (1 episode, 1983)
      - Here's Another Fine Mess (1983) TV episode .... Buster Ryan
    97. "Magnum, P.I." .... 'Mr. White Death' / ... (1 episode, 1982)
      - Mr. White Death (1982) TV episode .... Earl Gianelli/'Mr. White Death'
    98. "The Love Boat" .... Dominic Rosselli (2 episodes, 1982)
      - Venetian Love Song/The Arrangement/Arrividerci, Gopher/The Gigolo: Part 1 (1982) TV episode .... Dominic Rosselli
      - Venetian Love Song/The Arrangement/Arrividerci, Gopher/The Gigolo: Part 2 (1982) TV episode .... Dominic Rosselli
    99. Deadly Blessing (1981) .... Isaiah Schmidt
    100. High Risk (1981) .... Clint
    101. Escape from New York (1981) .... Cabbie
      ... aka "John Carpenter's Escape from New York" - USA (complete title)
      ... aka "New York 1997" - Japan (English title)
    102. Super Fuzz (1980) .... Sgt. Willy Dunlop
      ... aka "Poliziotto superpiù" - USA (original title)
    103. When Time Ran Out... (1980) .... Det. Sgt. Tom Conti
      ... aka "Earth's Final Fury" - USA (TV title)
      ... aka "The Day the World Ended" - Philippines (English title)
    104. The Black Hole (1979) .... Harry Booth
    105. "Hallmark Hall of Fame" .... Stanislaus Katczinsky (1 episode, 1979)
      - All Quiet on the Western Front (1979) TV episode .... Stanislaus Katczinsky
    106. The Double McGuffin (1979) .... Firat
    107. Ravagers (1979) .... Rann
    108. Convoy (1978) .... Sheriff Lyle 'Cottonmouth' Wallace
    109. Cops and Robin (1978) (TV) .... Joe Cleaver
    110. The Ghost of Flight 401 (1978) (TV) .... Dom Cimoli
    111. Crossed Swords (1977) .... John Canty
    112. The Greatest (1977) .... Angelo Dundee
    113. Fire! (1977) (TV) .... Sam Brisbane
    114. "Future Cop" .... Joe Cleaver / ... (6 episodes, 1976-1977)
      - The Kansas City Kid (1977) TV episode .... Joe Cleaver
      - Carlisle Girl (1977) TV episode .... Joe Cleaver
      - Girl on the Ledge (1977) TV episode .... Joe Cleaver
      - The Mad Mad Bomber: Part 1 (1977) TV episode .... Joe Cleaver
      - Fighting O'Haven (1977) TV episode .... Joe Cleaver
      (1 more)
    115. "Jesus of Nazareth" .... The Centurion (2 episodes, 1977)
      - Part 2 (1977) TV episode .... The Centurion
      - Part 1 (1977) TV episode .... The Centurion
    116. Shoot (1976) .... Lou
    117. Holiday Hookers (1976) (TV) .... Max
      ... aka "Natale in casa d'appuntamento" - Italy (original title)
    118. Hustle (1975) .... Santuro
    119. The Devil's Rain (1975) .... Jonathan Corbis
    120. "Little House on the Prairie" .... Jonathan (2 episodes, 1974)
      ... aka "L.H.O.T.P." - International (English title) (informal short title)
      ... aka "Little House: A New Beginning" - USA (last season title)
      - The Lord Is My Shepherd: Part 1 (1974) TV episode (credit only) .... Jonathan
      - The Lord Is My Shepherd: Part 2 (1974) TV episode .... Jonathan
    121. Sunday in the Country (1974) .... Adam Smith
      ... aka "Blood for Blood" - USA (video title)
      ... aka "Vengeance Is Mine" - USA (alternative title)
    122. Law and Disorder (1974) .... Cy
    123. Twice in a Lifetime (1974) (TV) .... Vince Boselli
    124. Legend in Granite (1973) (TV) .... Vince Lombardi
    125. The Neptune Factor (1973) .... Chief Diver Don MacKay
      ... aka "The Neptune Disaster" - USA (TV title)
    126. Emperor of the North (1973) .... Shack
      ... aka "Emperor of the North Pole" - USA (original title)
    127. The Poseidon Adventure (1972) .... Det. Lt. Mike Rogo
    128. The Revengers (1972) .... Hoop
    129. Un uomo dalla pelle dura (1972) .... Captain Perkins
      ... aka "Ripped Off/Ripped-Off" - USA (poster title)
    130. The Trackers (1971) (TV) .... Sam Paxton
    131. Hannie Caulder (1971) .... Emmett Clemens
    132. Bunny O'Hare (1971) .... Bill Green (Greenwald)
    133. Willard (1971) .... Al Martin
    134. Sam Hill: Who Killed Mr. Foster? (1971) (TV) .... Deputy Sam Hill
    135. Rain for a Dusty Summer (1971) .... The General
      ... aka "Guns of the Revolution" - USA (video title)
    136. Suppose They Gave a War and Nobody Came? (1970) .... Sheriff Harve
      ... aka "War Games" - USA (TV title)
    137. A Bullet for Sandoval (1969) .... Don Pedro Sandoval
      ... aka "Los desperados" - Spain (original title)
      ... aka "Those Desperate Men Who Smell of Dirt and Death" - USA
    138. The Adventurers (1969) .... Fat Cat
    139. The Wild Bunch (1969) .... Dutch Engstrom
    140. The Split (1968) .... Bert Clinger
    141. Ice Station Zebra (1968) .... Boris Vaslov
    142. The Legend of Lylah Clare (1968) .... Barney Sheean
    143. "Get Smart" .... TV viewer (1 episode, 1968)
      - The Little Black Book: Part 2 (1968) TV episode (uncredited) .... TV viewer
    144. The Dirty Dozen (1967) .... General Worden
      ... aka "Dirty Dozen" - International (English title) (informal title)
    145. Chuka (1967) .... Sgt. Otto Hahnsbach
    146. "Run for Your Life" .... Harry Martin (1 episode, 1966)
      - Time and a Half on Christmas Eve (1966) TV episode .... Harry Martin
    147. "Bob Hope Presents the Chrysler Theatre" .... Melvin Freebie (1 episode, 1966)
      - The Blue-Eyed Horse (1966) TV episode .... Melvin Freebie
    148. "McHale's Navy" .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale (138 episodes, 1962-1966)
      - Wally for Congress (1966) TV episode .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
      - Binghamton at 20 Paces (1966) TV episode .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
      - An Ensign's Best Friend (1966) TV episode .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
      - The McHale Grand Prix (1966) TV episode .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
      - Who Was That German I Saw You With? (1966) TV episode .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
      (133 more)
    149. The Oscar (1966) .... Barney Yale
    150. The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) .... Trucker Cobb
    151. "Wagon Train" .... Willy Moran / ... (5 episodes, 1957-1965)
      - The Indian Girl Story (1965) TV episode .... Indian
      - The Earl Packer Story (1961) TV episode .... Earl Packer
      - The Estaban Zamora Story (1959) TV episode .... Estaban Zamora
      - Around the Horn (1958) TV episode .... Willy Moran
      - The Willy Moran Story (1957) TV episode .... Willy Moran
    152. McHale's Navy (1964) .... Lt. Commander Quinton McHale
    153. "G.E. True Theater" .... Major David Orlovsky / ... (2 episodes, 1961-1962)
      ... aka "General Electric Theater" - USA (original title)
      ... aka "G.E. Theater" - USA (informal short title)
      - The Bar Mitzvah of Major Orlovsky (1962) TV episode .... Major David Orlovsky
      - The Legend That Walks Like a Man (1961) TV episode .... Matty Moran
    154. "Alcoa Premiere" .... MacHale (1 episode, 1962)
      - Seven Against the Sea (1962) TV episode .... MacHale
    155. Barabbas (1961) .... Lucius
      ... aka "Barabba" - Italy (original title)
    156. I briganti italiani (1961) .... Sante Carbone
      ... aka "The Italian Brigands" - USA (TV title)
    157. The Last Judgment (1961) .... Pickpocket
      ... aka "Il giudizio universale" - Italy (original title)
    158. Il re di Poggioreale (1961) .... Peppino Navarra
      ... aka "Black City" - International (English title) (dubbed version)
    159. "The Blue Angels" (1 episode, 1961)
      - The Blue Leaders (1961) TV episode
    160. Go Naked in the World (1961) .... Pete Stratton
    161. "Laramie" .... Boone Caudie / ... (2 episodes, 1959-1960)
      - Ride the Wild Wind (1960) TV episode .... Boone Caudie
      - Circle of Fire (1959) TV episode .... Major Prescott
    162. "Zane Grey Theater" .... Big Jim Morrison / ... (2 episodes, 1957-1960)
      ... aka "Dick Powell's Zane Grey Theater" - USA (complete title)
      ... aka "The Westerners" - USA (rerun title)
      - A Gun for Willie (1960) TV episode .... Willie
      - Black Creek Encounter (1957) TV episode .... Big Jim Morrison
    163. Pay or Die (1960) .... Police Lt. Joseph Petrosino
    164. Man on a String (1960) .... Boris Mitrov
    165. The Rabbit Trap (1959) .... Eddie Colt
    166. Season of Passion (1959) .... Roo
      ... aka "Summer of the Seventeenth Doll" - Australia (original title)
    167. Torpedo Run (1958) .... Lt. Archer 'Archie' Sloan
    168. The Badlanders (1958) .... John 'Mac' McBain
    169. The Vikings (1958) .... Ragnar
    170. "Schlitz Playhouse" .... Hully Brown (1 episode, 1958)
      ... aka "Schlitz Playhouse of Stars" - USA (original title)
      ... aka "Herald Playhouse" - USA (syndication title)
      ... aka "The Playhouse" - USA (syndication title)
      - Two Lives Have I (1958) TV episode .... Hully Brown
    171. "Navy Log" .... Host (1 episode, 1957)
      - Human Bomb (1957) TV episode .... Host
    172. "The Danny Thomas Show" .... Cop (1 episode, 1957)
      ... aka "Make Room for Daddy" - USA (original title)
      - The Flashback Show (1957) TV episode .... Cop
    173. "The O. Henry Playhouse" (1 episode, 1957)
      - The Reformation of Calliope (1957) TV episode
    174. Three Brave Men (1956) .... Bernard F. 'Bernie' Goldsmith
    175. The Best Things in Life Are Free (1956) .... Lew Brown
    176. The Catered Affair (1956) .... Tom Hurley
    177. Jubal (1956) .... Shep Horgan
    178. The Square Jungle (1955) .... Bernie Browne
    179. The Last Command (1955) .... Mike Radin
      ... aka "San Antonio de Bexar" - USA (alternative title)
    180. Violent Saturday (1955) .... Stadt, Amish Farmer
    181. Run for Cover (1955) .... Morgan
      ... aka "Colorado" - USA (reissue title)
    182. Marty (1955) .... Marty
    183. "Fireside Theatre" (1 episode, 1955)
      - The Poachers (1955) TV episode
    184. Bad Day at Black Rock (1955) .... Coley Trimble
    185. Vera Cruz (1954) .... Donnegan
    186. The Bounty Hunter (1954) .... Bill Rachin
    187. "Waterfront" .... Jack Bannion (2 episodes, 1954)
      - Cap'n Long John (1954) TV episode .... Jack Bannion
      - Sunken Treasure (1954) TV episode .... Jack Bannion
    188. Demetrius and the Gladiators (1954) .... Strabo
    189. Johnny Guitar (1954) .... Bart Lonergan
    190. "The Ford Television Theatre" .... Gus White (1 episode, 1954)
      ... aka "Ford Theatre" - USA (short title)
      - Night Visitor (1954) TV episode .... Gus White
    191. "The Lone Wolf" .... Lt. Joe Saks (1 episode)
      ... aka "Streets of Danger" - USA (syndication title)
      - The Avalanche Story (a.k.a. The Reno Story) (????) TV episode .... Lt. Joe Saks
    192. From Here to Eternity (1953) .... Sgt. 'Fatso' Judson
    193. The Stranger Wore a Gun (1953) .... Bull Slager
    194. "Short Short Dramas" (1 episode, 1953)
      - Operation Sunshine (1953) TV episode
    195. "Goodyear Playhouse" (1 episode, 1951)
      ... aka "Goodyear Television Playhouse" - USA (original title)
      - The Copper (1951) TV episode
    196. The Mob (1951) .... Joe Castro
    197. "Captain Video and His Video Rangers" .... Nargola (2 episodes, 1951)
      ... aka "Captain Video" - USA (alternative title)
      - The Space Hawk (1951) TV episode .... Nargola
      - The Power of Leonis (1951) TV episode .... Nargola
    198. The Whistle at Eaton Falls (1951) .... Bill Street
    199. China Corsair (1951) .... Hu Chang

- John Wayne quote

• Ernest Borgnine Screen Actors Guild Lifetime Achievement Award and Toronto Fan Expo
    By Anne Brodie Aug 23, 2010, 16:46 GMT

Ernest Borgnine is still on the road at age 93. The Oscar winning actor (Marty) has covered the gamut of roles in a career spanning half a century from heavy drama to light comedy in all kinds of genres and styles.

The Screen Actors Guild will honour him with a Lifetime Achievement Award in January citing “"Whether portraying brutish villains, sympathetic everymen, complex leaders, or hapless heroes, Ernest Borgnine has brought a boundless energy which, at 93, is still a hallmark of his remarkably busy life and career.
    It is with that same joyous spirit that we salute his impressive body of work and his steadfast generosity." But fans will catch him in during a personal appearance in Toronto August 27 – 29 at http://www.fanexpocanada.com.

Monsters and Critics spoke with the affable “Ernie” from his home in Hollywood.

Monsters and Critics - Congratulations on the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award. What have you enjoyed doing most in Hollywood?
    Ernest Borgnine - I’ll tell you something. Most of the people I used to know are gone, unfortunately, and those I was talking to a fellow the other day on his birthday and we’d been on The Wild Bunch together. It was like Old Home Week!
    M&C - You’re 93 and still working which is a testament to your value in Hollywood and with the fans – you have lots on the horizon!
    EB - I’m bustin’ with pride very honoured in the sense that they’ve chosen me. It feels like winning an Academy Award all over again, it’s a great honour and it’s wonderful and I’m very humbled, believe me.
    M&C - You’re starring in the film adaptation of the graphic novel Red. What do you play?
    EB - My entire part is in the trailer. I don’t have much of a part, but they’ve told me that the film is quite good, very, very good and I’m looking forward to seeing it.
    M&C - One of my favourite films is The Dirty Dozen, any memories of that?
    EB - That Lee Marvin was a great guy, something cool about him. One day we were rehearsing in London and we had five minutes to go out into the sunshine what little there was. We were leaning against a brick wall. He had just come back from Alaska and we needed the heat. A fella came by and said “Gee two Oscar winners; I wonder what they have to talk about?” Without missing a beat, Marvin said “You’ll never know” and went right on speaking to me.
    M&C - Your body of work is about as varied as it gets – I guess you didn’t want to tie yourself down to a specific “type” of role.
    EB - That’s it, its wonderful to be able to do everything from soup to nuts and when I did McHale’s Navy little did I realise I was getting so much into comedy. I was a stalwart and everyone was spinning around me and so I became a great straight guy.
    M&C - Celebrity has changed so much since you began making movies. How do you compare today’s stars?
    EB - I don’t know that many celebrities. I know Clooney from Italy and that’s about all. I’m not acquainted with many. I know Bruce Willis having with him, and he’s a sweetheart and I love him.
    M&C - Were you a contract player?
    E B - No. I did take a contract with Burt Lancaster and his production company, I said to myself, “Wow, seven years of steady work coming up!” but I didn’t realise they were using me to promote themselves and their pictures. I was doing tidbits here and there and I couldn’t get work anywhere else because I was under contract to him. I went to him and said “I want to do the pictures you offered me” and they said “Really?” And so they offered me one script and I turned it down and they put me on suspension. It cost me a half a million dollars to get out of that suspension, I never went under contact again.
    M&C - Do you watch Turner Classic Movies a lot?
    EB - Night and day! I watch it all the time because I am still learning to act!! It was great watching Greer Garson yesterday and Katharine Hepburn today. I went to Spencer Tracy’s house just after he sent me a congratulatory note when I won the Oscar for Marty, I’d beaten him out. He opened the door, and he’s just gotten back from Cuba where he made The Old Man and the Sea and looked at me and said “Son of a gun, I sent you a note, you didn’t answer me!” And Katharine in the next room yelled “Why should he answer to you?”
    M&C – You’ve been married a few times but you and Tovah have been married since 1973. What makes a marriage last?
    EB - I sent a cartoon to her recently that said “Gee, your marriage has lasted for years – why are you so happy together?” and it said “We live in separate houses!” Tova has a wonderful picture postcard home in Pennsylvania so she can be near the QVC studios and for 14 years she was at the Sheraton Hotel and somebody said ‘”You’re going to be out here so long, why don’t you buy a house?” It’s right on the golf course, and she’s there and I’m here! It’s great!

- John Wayne quote

Edited once, last by Hondo Duke Lane ().

• I think this man is one of the best. He may not be the superstar like John Wayne, Humphrey Borgart, Cary Grant, but Ernest Borgnine is an actor who can hold his own. He did have an Oscar from his preformance in Marty, and some TV hits with McHale's Navy and Airwolf, but he is the kind of man who gives of himself and really loves this land.

Some of the movies I really enjoyed him in were Flight of the Phoenix, Jesus of Nazareth, Bad Day at Black Rock, and From Here to Eternity.

The ones that touched my heart was when he was a guest on Little House in the Prairie, and who can forget Cabbie on Escape from New York. Of course he was General Worden in The Dirty Dozen and Dutch Engstorm in The Wild Bunch. I also liked him in The Poseidon Adventure as Det. Mike Rogo.

What are some of your favorite movies of Ernest Borgnine. By the way, he is still making movies today and has one pending to be made next year. He will be 94 next January and still active. He deserves to be a pals of the saddle. Wish he made some movies with Duke.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• one of the last great actors of our golden era.a living legend.he was right what he said about brokeback mountain and i dont intend to watch it either.but few of my favourite borgnine films are jubal,the last command,the wild bunch,the badlanders,bad day at black rock,from here to eternity,violent saturday,run for cover,marty,johnny guitar,vikings,dirty dozen.

• I concurr with all the sentiments above. He was alway as much of a household name as Duke was, Richard Widmrk, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, James Stewart, Charlton Heston, James Coburn and Yul Brynner all were.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Talking about Ernie Borgnine, yesterday, AMC showed Emperor Of The North with him and Lee Marvin and Keith Carradine. All about the hobos riding the rails during the 30's. Always liked that movie, Borgnine was outstanding as Shack, the sadistic conductor who would kill to keep any hobo from riding his train. Great fight scene near the end between him and Marvin.

• I watched that one also yesterday. Ernest sure does look mean when he wants to. No way would I try to ride his train.

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "