The Difference Between Colt And Ruger Vaquero

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,574 times. The latest Post () was by Red Coyote.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• HI GANG I SENT A FRIEND A PICTURE OF THE JOHN RIG FROM THE POST
    John Wayne Memorabilia Auction, WORTH A LOOK NICE.HE IS A HOLSTER MAKER AND HE COMMENTED ON THE COLT 45.HE SAID IT LOOKED MORE LIKE A RUGER VAQUERO,BUT HJE SAID THEY DIDN'T COME OUT TILL THE DUKE DIED IN 1979.
    THE QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE I'VE LOOKED A BOTH STYLE GUNS AND TO MY UNTRAINED EYE I CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE IS THERE ANY ONE WHO CAN SHEAD LIGHT ON THIS I WOULD BE THANKFULL.
    THANKS
    CHANCE :stunned:

"COME SEE A FAT OLD MAN SOMETIME"

• I can't either, but I've asked their office in Geneva to tell me where those pieces originally come from. Maybe it's too early to say: Buyer, Beware.
    But: Buyer Beware.

• Unless you handle them yourself, you're not going to be able to tell much of a differance. Unless you get a close-up of the handles of the pistols. On a Ruger, you will see the flaming eagle emblem with a red background. On the Colt, you have the rearing horse emblem.

The Vequreo is a recent manufacture. It hasn't been in production ten years yet. Cosmetically, they are a copy of the Colt Model 1873 Single Action Army (aka the Peacemaker) Internally, they are all Ruger. They are easier to work on, and in my opinion, more accurate than the Colt. They are also priced at about a grand less than the Colt.

If someone is trying to pass off a set of Vaqueros as some of Duke's guns, they're looking for a sucker. They would have to be original Colts to have belonged to Wayne.

• :headbonk: Hello there did you get this already?
    Here is the info that i had on the colt from the J W auction..
    The Colt Serial #309795 the gun has been largely alltered with Bisley and Signal action parts with and enlarged trigger guard. JW supposley had these done for himself.If any one can follow up this Serial# 309795 maybe we can find the answer's.. I'd like to know.. Sorry no new news on the Holster..This info was given to me by James Ferrel at the auction house...
    c-ya chuckie chezze

• If it is a Colt Bisly, then it came out of the Colt Custom Shop. You should be able to contact the company and track that particular gun from the factory. They should be able to give you a vendor who would have sold the pistol, and verify the purchaser. If it was sent back to the factory to be custom altered, they will be able to confirm that as well. I know for a fact that Winchester does this for a fee, and if I remember correctly, Colt does as well. I don't know what they would charge, but give the company a call, I'm sure they have an 800 customer service number that can give you more information. Good luck.

the Bisley is a single action as well. You have to cock it yourself to fire it. It is just a differant modle than the SAA Peacemaker. The enlarged trigger guard may well be a custom fit for JW's hands. The Bislely style itself is more of a target pistol than the SAA, as it fits the hand differantly. They are also considered more accurate than the SAA by a lot of people.

• :headbonk: Colt 45 Info,
    Talked to Mr.Ferrell at the auction house here is what he said!

There is no Model# on this type of revolver. It is referred to as a standard references as a Colt Signal Action Revolver. It was made in 1909,gun's made after 1898 are consider modern acorrding to american law. Therefore the Gun had to be Register with (The Federal Firearms License Holders). So that John wayne could take the gun out of the country when needed. The Colt 45 is regestered under Serial number #309795 which anyone can get copies of this paper work from the United States Federal Firearms License Board.
    It is regesterd to the Duke and the cost for a copy of the paperwork is about $200 to $400... But if you buy the gun at the auction , the auction house will help you and the cost will only be $200. You will also recieve the Apprasil done in 1976 free with the gun done for insurance. And photos taken sametime at the apprasil signed by JW..
    So think that is about it cant get no more info, so it would seem that this Colt 45 is personaly JW.. According to the Feds.. They seem to have all the paperwork and also to check with Colt Custom Shop will also cost about $200 i checked..
    Hope this helps a little CHUCKIE CHEZZE

• Sounds like it can't be any more legit than that. Sounds like a second generation SAA. At the time that JW probably picked it up, they were a pretty cheap buy. Easy to have worked on both by the Colt Custom Shop and by good smiths around the country. They ain't that cheap, or easy to come by these days. I wouldn't even want to try to price on just as a collector's peice, let alone on that is verifiably JW's.