Actors who have played Cowboys AND Indians

There are 38 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 19,859 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Since joining this forum, and my recent road trip though the Southwest, I have been watching more Westerns than is generally acceptable, so my wife says, and have noticed a few actors who have played both 'cowboys' and Native Americans.

The two actors that spring instantly to mind are Burt Lancaster: The Apache, The Scalphunters, the Kentuckian etc, etc. and Jeff Chandler: Broken Arrow, Battle at Apache Pass, War Arrow, Drango...

I thought this was the place to ask the question: "What other actors have played both Cowboys and Indians?"

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else :)

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

Edited once, last by Dooley ().

• Thanks Gorch,
    Charles Bronson and Anthony Quinn were big ones that came to me too.
    One of the funnier ones is Rock Hudson in taza, son of cochise.
    Could you list the films the people you've listed appeared in as native Americans too?

• Jack Palance - "Arrowhead"
    Woody Strode - "Shalako"
    William Smith - lots of TV such as "Daniel Boone", etc.
    Henry Silva - "Sergeants 3"

• Hank Worden played "Poor Devil" in "The Big Sky"
    Anthony Quinn played lots of native parts early in his career, his most famous being "Crazy Horse" in "They Died with Their Boots On"
    Heston played "War Bonnet" in "The Savage", but now that I think about it, he may have been a white kid raised by an Indian tribe.
    Newman had the same situation in "Hombre". In my defense, I recall both Chuck and Paul in full tribal costumes, but you may not want to include them.
    Bronson played a bunch of natives too early in his career, my favorites are"Drum Beat" in the role of "Captain Jack" and in "Apache" as "Hondo".

We deal in lead, friend.

• This thread got me thinking about Australian actor Michael Pate who played more natives than he did cowboys. He was Vittorio in "Hondo", Puma in "McClintock", Sitting Bull in "The Great Sioux Massacre" and Sierra Chariba in "Major Dundee".
    The only cowboy role I can recall him in (in movies, anyway) was Capt. Benteen in "Seventh Cavalry".

We deal in lead, friend.

• That's a good one! Similar to another foreign actor Henry Brandon who played more chiefs than I can remember but also Jesse James in Hell's crossroads.

• I cant think of the actors name but--he played Indians in movies as well as General Sheridan in Duke's: Rio Grande. This guy has also played INDIA Injuns as well as Italians and such.

Another actor who played both and in the same movie was: William Shatner. He was "Twins" one white--one Injun in the lousiest """"western"""" I ever saw--I THINK it was called: White Comanche.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I cant think of the actors name but--he played Indians in movies as well as General Sheridan in Duke's: Rio Grande. This guy has also played INDIA Injuns as well as Italians and such.

Another actor who played both and in the same movie was: William Shatner. He was "Twins" one white--one Injun in the lousiest """"western"""" I ever saw--I THINK it was called: White Comanche.

That just has to be seen!
    Over hamming Shatner playing twins, genius! :))):

• [QUOTE=Dooley;113521I cant think of the actors name but--he played Indians in movies as well as General Sheridan in Duke's: Rio Grande. This guy has also played INDIA Injuns as well as Italians and such.

[/QUOTE]

I think J.Carrol Naish is the actor you're thinking of.

• Great thread, initiated whilst I've been away.
    Most of the one's I thought have, have already been mentioned.

Don't forget Yakima Canutt, played both
    in those early movies

Can you imagine Duke as an Indian?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Keith I still have trouble seeing him as Genghis Khan.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• That just has to be seen!
    Over hamming Shatner playing twins, genius! :))):

The only reason I tried watching it was to see Captain (Indian) Kirk. I could barely stomach about 20 minutes of it but lasted just long enough to see him as an Injun. :lol::lol::lol:

If I recall? I think there was a John Wayne movie on at the time on AMC--because I switched it and watched another Western.

• I think J.Carrol Naish is the actor you're thinking of.

For the life of me, I NEVER Can remember that guys name. Another whose name I can never recall was in loads of Humphrey Bogart movies, the little actor from Hungary? the one with the bulge eyes.