Family War Medals or Acknowledgements

There are 42 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,933 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Grandpa in WWII. He was in charge of coordinating publicity shots and films to encourage support for the Army in Hollywood, CA

Anybody know what insignia means? Looks as if he was still a CPT. here left over from WWI. We was a Colonel when in Hollywood.

He mentioned quite a few times, SGT. York........just can't remember the details. Trying to find out if he and York were in the same units anywhere.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

Edited once, last by Hawkswill: Was WWI ().

• Grandpa in WWI. Captain overseas. Still looking to see if I can find if he was in the same area as SGT. York as I remember his talking about him more than once. KEITH

• You must be mighty proud, having several members of the family serve this great country, Keith. I can certainly see the family resemblance. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• As both Hawkswills and Carl's threads are
    both about family honours,
    I have now merged them together.
    Any other members are also
    free to post any honours received by their kin.
    We are proud of them all

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• As both Hawkswills and Carl's threads are
    both about family honours,
    I have now merged them together.
    Any other members are also
    free to post any honours received by their kin.
    We are proud of them all

Thanks EK.......KEITH Still have my cousin, the General's to post here.

• Ill try to get motivated and get more stuff on CD then send to Keith for posting in photo bucket for me--after I bribe her with somehting. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh and thank you Keith for merging threads. Helps bunches and I agree-folks-post the stuff you have.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• LOL, thanks Carl. Mom never really had a lack of boyfriends from High School on until she met Dad. KP She did carry the standard Colt.45 semiauto though as she was responsible for payroll for her Waves.

She is very pretty and ill bet she had to be constantly on guard to keep the "Sea Wolves" away ;-))

• Ill try to get motivated and get more stuff on CD then send to Keith for posting in photo bucket for me--after I bribe her with somehting. :lol::lol::lol:

Oh and thank you Keith for merging threads. Helps bunches and I agree-folks-post the stuff you have.

You don't have to bribe me with anything Carl, you silly. I still have two sketches I need to send you. Wouldn't have to anyway, KIDDO! KEITH

• You must be mighty proud, having several members of the family serve this great country, Keith. I can certainly see the family resemblance. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Mark

Thanks Mark, Still trying to get my cousin Cecil to send me his stuff. He graduated Cadet Colonel of The Citadel, was Tac Officer at West point, was in the Korean and Viet Nam Wars, and retired as a General. Also, he won the fist General Douglas MacArthur award ever given. He was a bit of a rogue though. He got shot down in his Hueys with his troops behind enemy lines in Nam instead of "flying his desk" as he was supposed to be doing. I imagine, if he hadn't been aide to so many higher ranking Generals in earlier years, he would have been court martialed for that, LOL! Luckily he and crews were extracted before enemies got hold of them. Since he was privy to classified info, might have been a pretty bad scene if they hadn't. Hate to say it, but Cecil should have been left with his men......he flourished on that. Being one of the upper echelon was just not his style. Now that he is out though, he doesn't mind the general's retirement benefits at all. KEITH

• You don't have to bribe me with anything Carl, you silly. I still have two sketches I need to send you. Wouldn't have to anyway, KIDDO! KEITH

For the first post: If you still had her .45? I would see if I could buy it from you? That pistol is my all time favorite ever--even over Walthers and Lugers ;-))

On the 2nd post:

Soon as I cna afford to? ill mail it off to you. Its heavy and when I bought it over 12 years ago in Heidelberg, Germany--they then went for $135.00 and I dont know what its worth now but worth probably twice that. Anyway, it needs a new and betetr home to reside in.

• Oh and, im still trying to get Fred to tell me about his service in Nam--just been too busy lately to thunk on it. Im curious to know the years he got all his wounds--where and how. He still carries some shrapnel in his body which causes great pain. Just ate lunch with him today.

Mark

FORGOT Mark, did you see the 4 planes on the page before? They were Dad's "medals" since he couldn't get into the service......he was born deaf. But, as soon as he graduated from Clemson with an architect's degree, he was hired at Curtis Wright to help develop planes for WWII. The four shown are ones that he had some part of developing.........hope his parts weren't the ones that caused them trouble, LOL. My Grandpa, the Colonel, was very proud of him for finding a way to contribute to the war effort. KEITH

• For the first post: If you still had her .45? I would see if I could buy it from you? That pistol is my all time favorite ever--even over Walthers and Lugers ;-))

On the 2nd post:

Soon as I cna afford to? ill mail it off to you. Its heavy and when I bought it over 12 years ago in Heidelberg, Germany--they then went for $135.00 and I dont know what its worth now but worth probably twice that. Anyway, it needs a new and betetr home to reside in.

Well, Carl, my friend.....you have me confused. What post are you talking about mailing me something that once cost $135? You nuts? LOL. Please let me know what you mean. Would LOVE to still have my Mom's and Grandpa's Colt .45s. But, sadly, they were stolen by a friend of my Bothers who was in the service and went AWOL....he was doing Cocaine at the time. He came to visit us, (he was a long time friend of the family, and we thought he was on furlough). Next day, we awoke, Kenny was gone, and there were men stationed outside of every window and door to our house. Mom was furious and told the FBI agent who knocked on our door that she was. She said it was a minor infraction and he had no reason to use that kind of force on a family such as ours. She also corrected him on his posture, LOL, but...that was my Mom! They tried to help us get back our guns when we realized they were missing. The one agent personally sent reps around to all the pawn shops and known shady gun dealers. We never even got close to them. Sad thing for the whole family as my Grandpa actually USED his in fighting in WWII. LOL, Mom really won that young agent over. He kept in contact with us for a few years.

So, what are you talking about Carl? Remember [email protected], PLEASE. HAGO Young Man, KEITH

• Well, Carl, my friend.....you have me confused. What post are you talking about mailing me something that once cost $135? You nuts? LOL. Please let me know what you mean. Would LOVE to still have my Mom's and Grandpa's Colt .45s. But, sadly, they were stolen by a friend of my Bothers who was in the service and went AWOL....he was doing Cocaine at the time. He came to visit us, (he was a long time friend of the family, and we thought he was on furlough). Next day, we awoke, Kenny was gone, and there were men stationed outside of every window and door to our house. Mom was furious and told the FBI agent who knocked on our door that she was. She said it was a minor infraction and he had no reason to use that kind of force on a family such as ours. She also corrected him on his posture, LOL, but...that was my Mom! They tried to help us get back our guns when we realized they were missing. The one agent personally sent reps around to all the pawn shops and known shady gun dealers. We never even got close to them. Sad thing for the whole family as my Grandpa actually USED his in fighting in WWII. LOL, Mom really won that young agent over. He kept in contact with us for a few years.

So, what are you talking about Carl? Remember [email protected], PLEASE. HAGO Young Man, KEITH

Yup--when I bought this piece--it cost me $135.00 and was just outside the Heidelberg Castle walls where I bought it. I just no longer have a use for it and figgered you would enjoy it more. Ill try mailing it after the year as ive spent too much for Christmas and have a possible lawsuit I have to worry about-unless the guy comes clean and pays me the money he has owed to me and never tried paying me--for over 13 months now going on 14 months. The cheap way out of this for him--is to pay me wht he owes--or give me his AK-47 Rifle. This is the new make the Russians are making and though still nice--just not great piece.

Thanks to my brother in Austin-who had a severe case of the stupids--his friend richard fennel--stole my Grandfatherrs six gun which was a 38-40-or something like that? out of my brother car--(and my brother should never have had that pistol in it) and was a pistol he took off the dead body of one of pancho villas bandits he just killed. Anyway, we cant prove richard stole it but everyone knows he did.

Im still peeved about my rare Novemebr 41--BYF made-Walther P-38 that the police seemed ot have never found yet--but I KNOW a cop had my pistol in his collection nd I was told that by his now retired partner. Grrrrr....

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• I know that there are a great many members who have served their country. They also have relatives who have. This thread is for those who have received unusual acknowledgements or even regular medals, parade review ceremonies, etc. Pictures are most welcome if you have them.

Show off your medals or those of your relatives. Be proud, as we are of you.

Please post those of yours and your families. Keith

As we understood, we thought this thread was initiated to celebrate
    achievements by members family and friends!

Carl you appear to have a lot of relations,
    are these photos of some of them??

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 4 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• As we understood, we thought this thread was initiated to celebrate
    achievements by members family and friends!

Carl you appear to have a lot of relations,
    are these photos of some of them??

Well, Ethan, do you suppose we should just change the thread name to War Medals, Acknowledgements, and Pictures? Carl sure has some great stuff here, and no one else seems to be posting theirs or their relatives although I am sure there must be a lot out there. KEITH

• Well, Ethan, do you suppose we should just change the thread name to War Medals, Acknowledgements, and Pictures? Carl sure has some great stuff here, and no one else seems to be posting theirs or their relatives although I am sure there must be a lot out there. KEITH

Perhaps we can we have a members feed back on this
    as I know, members were interested in family and friends stuff
    However from comments I have received
    I am not so sure about a general thread being of interest.
    Perhaps any members can post their comments here.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England