You all will want to hear about this loss as of 4AM this day.

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,367 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• If you all watched the Vietnam War Movie: (We Were Soldiers) that starred Mel Gibson and Sam Elliott? then you will know whom I am talking about.

The Soldier who Sam Elliott played: Command Sergeant-Major Plumley--lost his battle with Cancer at 4am this morning. :-((

Rest in Peace Sarge :(

I hope you can give my regards to Sarge Bill for me?

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• I forgot to mention, he was a three war vet. He fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

PS, if ever any Sergeant was worthy of being inducted into the Sergeant Audie Murphy Club, THIS SERGEANT, would have been THE perfect inductee.

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Old Soldiers never die, never die, never die,
    Old Soldiers never die, they just fade away.

Rest in Peace Sergeant Major. Your tour of duty is done and a gallant one it was.

I dont know if this is the proper term for him but--he was a Soldiers soldier.

• I think that's a great term for him. Anyone with five gold stars on his jump wings and two on his CIB is a Soldiers' Soldier.

From what I understand? he made every jump in WWII, Korea and in Nam--that his unit made.

• Forgot to mention--also from what I understand--those extra stars on his Combat Infantryman's Badge--were extra awardings of the badge. Most vets who have it that I am friends with--tell me that is their most coveted of badges.

• Forgot to mention--also from what I understand--those extra stars on his Combat Infantryman's Badge--were extra awardings of the badge. Most vets who have it that I am friends with--tell me that is their most coveted of badges.

The CIB is awarded to infantrymen/special operations in the grade of Colonel and below who have served in their specialty in combat and actually under fire. The CSM would have recieved his first one for WWII, the first star (second award)for Korea and the second star (third award) for Vietnam. There are only 324 known three time recipients since the award was first approved by the Army in 1941. Most Infantrymen would tell you it is their most prized award as it is given only to Infantrymen who were in a shootb and shoot back situation.

• The CIB is awarded to infantrymen/special operations in the grade of Colonel and below who have served in their specialty in combat and actually under fire. The CSM would have recieved his first one for WWII, the first star (second award)for Korea and the second star (third award) for Vietnam. There are only 324 known three time recipients since the award was first approved by the Army in 1941. Most Infantrymen would tell you it is their most prized award as it is given only to Infantrymen who were in a shootb and shoot back situation.

That's what I kinda figured each awarding of the CIB was for--each war served and fought in. Thanks for confirming it. Im more used to thinking and dealing with German awards and terminology and such that im like a first-grader when it comes to American Militaria. ;-))

I wonder if there is a list of names for those known 3-time awardees of the CIB? If you know of one? please let me know--I also collect names too ;-))