Just Plain Joes: RIP Service Men & Women

There are 80 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 38,417 times. The latest Post () was by may2.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Another who was a close friend of mine Remy Schrijnen: He is shown here at his gun on the Leningrad Front in late 42.

Here he is as a PW in a Belgian prison:

Here he is after being awarded his Knights Cross:

And finally--as he was when I met him in person at his home in Hagen:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• He retired as a full Admiral in the West German Navy--the: Bundesmarine--U Boat Ace Erich Topp: I own a set of the 57 made awards but they were made for the top scoring fighter pilot of all time--Major Erich Alfred HArtmann who had 352 kills with 4 being American Mustang Pilots--unfortunately.

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Back to the Allied for a sec:

Though I did not know any of the men in this photo--it is the one and only WWII British Press Photos I have and shows a Desert Rats Mortar Team in North Africa. Im posting it for the memory of Smokey's Father--who passed away a couple years ago and one I did call too briefly-a friend.

• Please, everyone - say a prayer of gratitude for all the dear souls, military and civilian, who made the supreme sacrifice on this date 71 years ago - the date which has, and will live - in infamy.

I'm humbled by this date, the actions of our personnel, and the reactions of this great nation and our allies.

God Bless all of them, both living and those in eternal rest.

• Please, everyone - say a prayer of gratitude for all the dear souls, military and civilian, who made the supreme sacrifice on this date 71 years ago - the date which has, and will live - in infamy.

I'm humbled by this date, the actions of our personnel, and the reactions of this great nation and our allies.

AMEN to all of that.

Rest in Peace Gents.

Pearl Harbor casualties are:

2,117 Killed in Action.

876 Wounded in Action.

960 Missing in Action.

I agree God Bless them all

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I've visited the Arizona Memorial a couple of times
    and those who have not,I can tell you, it's a moving experience

One of these years ill be making a visit. Ive heard about the oil still seeping to the surface like the Ship s crying for her deceased crew. This is one visit I HAVE to make.

• Thank you Kevin, also I learned that the last Pearl Harbor survivor who lived in Corpus Christi--passed away a year or so ago. I went to a Vets Memorial service one year at Sherrill Park (which is named after a Sailor from CC, TX who was killed at Pearl) and then--we had 5-6 who were there-who were PH survivors--and a few who were still alive--but too sick to attend.

• Growing up, I went to church with a kid (who passed away tragically at 19) whose grandfather (same church) was a PH survivor.

He was a full-flooded Cherokee, and met his full-blooded Polynesian wife in CA (she moved to the mainland to work at a defense plant), and their kids (all in their 60's now) had a very unique look.

Im only 1/4th Cherokee and dont have the classic features but--my Dad and his older brother and Sister did--but his younger sister didnt. They all cept the younger Sis--had slightly higher cheek bones and more hawkish noses and the red skin. As for me, im blond haired and blue-eyed and look like a classic Norwegian ;-))

• I gotcha, buddy.

My ancestry is VERY eclectic. One thing to remember is that "Scots Irish" refers to people from a region of Ireland that were neither Irish NOR Catholic.

One of our British friends (Keith) can correct me if I'm wrong, but the correct term (geograhically) is "Ulster Scots" and when I list descriptions, you'll see the distinction!

Dad's side: Scotish, Irish, French Huguenot, English, and Norwiegen. There are rumors of Cherokee heritage, but I'm still without proof.

Mom's side: Welsh, English, Irish, Scotish, Cherokee Indian, and Ulster Scots.

Both mom and dad's family have extensive German roots.

Back on topic: my mother's father was Byrd Wilkins Duncan Sr, a veteran of the U.S. Army during WWI - or "The Great War."

He was in the cavalry at Ft. Dix, NJ, and we have several pics of him on horseback. He was perfect for the mounted forces - 5' 7", and thin.

The war ended before he saw any action, but we was going to be part of "The All-American" Division.

• Danke.

Dads side was a weird mix: Cherokee Injun, Irish, Swedish and I forget what else?
    Moms side: Norwegian, English (I think?) Scottish and something else?

Would love to see the Cav images of him if possible?

• Love it, Keith!

Carl, I'll post them, but as I just found out today that my disability has been approved, the next couple of months are going to be quite eventful!

Looking forward to seeing them ;-)) And congrats on being awarded what you have earned ;-))