Duke's Movie Soundtracks- Past Discussion (Archive)

There are 135 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 31,770 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Arthur,
    about Tiomkin repeating himself: I know you once said you felt it was a sign of him beginning to get lazy. I don't know. Of course, these composer never knew that one day scholars would compare every single work. At that time, film music only seldom was sold on records at all. Anyway, in the case of Tiomkin, it rather strikes me like a handwriting which I recognize instantly, like a signature. It reminds me of the Chagall exhibition I had the chance to see in Vienna. That artist, it seemed to me, always painted the same picture in variations - always trying to get right the painting he always envisioned. The same is true for Dali - his melting watch isn't just in a single painting - he came back to it again and again. So if I'm listening to Tiomkin and recognize a tune from Blowing Wild in Rio Bravo (which is really a throw-away-moment, just a background piece for the Saloon) I don't think it's lazy, I think it's an artist revisting a former work and re-doing it.

• All the great composers have a musical fingerprint, sometimes obvious, sometimes not so obvious. Of film music composers, Tiomkin was almost always recognizable, even if you did not know beforehand who had written the music. So too, Elmer Bernstein had a pretty obvious style. Jerry Goldsmith was more the chameleon, but once you knew he had written the music, it was identifiable to him. The best composers were able to rework material in many ways so that the variations were innumerable.

Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by itdo@Mar 18 2005, 10:43 AM
    I believe the one soundtrack released on CD is the Book Version. I haven't been able to find the different one. Anybody knows?

I just purchased this soundtrack, and can't wait to get it. I've heard sound bites from it, and it appears to be a first-rate reporduction. I'll let you know more, after I get it...

• My gosh!! I just went over to imdb.com to check out John Williams and found he has been cranking out movie music since the middle 50s. Some of his film scores from the 60s include "The Rare Breed" with Jimmy Stewart and Maureen O'Hara (our favorite feminine co-star for JW), "How To Steal A Million" with Peter O'Toole and Audrey Hepburn and "Penelope" with Natalie Wood. So he already had years of film scoring experience when he did "The Cowboys" and, of course later, the "Star Wars" sagas and beyond.

"Not hardly!!!"

• My favorite is from "The Cowboys". When they bring in the horse herd to that music it always gives me chills. I also like all of the music from "The Green Berets".

• I'm a film music nut, so I have plenty of Duke movie favorites when it comes to the music scores:

El Dorado- I like the 1960s-sound of the plucked bass guitar while Duke, Mitchum and Cann are patrolling the streets at night. Sounds very "Batman."

The Comancheros- Great main theme which sounds like "Sons of Katie Elder", which sounds like "The Magnificent Seven", which sounds like...

The Shootist- More Bernstein. Sounds poignant and sad, just like Bernstein's "To Kill a Mockingbird"...Love it.

The War Wagon- Probably the catchiest theme song of any Duke movie. Tiomkin was a master melodist.

The Alamo- I still don't like the film, but love the score. Tiomkin strikes again!

The Searchers- Max Steiner. The guy who invented modern film scoring, or at least was one of it's first giants.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Luckily most of the music in Dukes films has been great.
    THE SEARCHERS, RED RIVER, THE COMMANCHEROS, THE QUIET MAN RIO LOBO.
    THE SHOOTIST.THE WAR WAGON etc
    When you look at the illustrious writers that were employed, it's no wonder!
    Most of them, remain, the greatest movie music writers, of all time.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi

Breaking one of the rules over the use of the definitive works link but......

I have just watched Fort Apache on BBC 2 and as I can't remember where the original Fort Apache thread was I cottoned on to this one. It struck me that the music is quite good and quite varied and includes Around her neck she wore a yelllow ribbon. There is obviously a CD on Rio Grande. I wonder if the sound track of Fort Apache is in being. Does anyone know?

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Howdy All,
    I was just curious as to which composer of John Wayne film scores do you like the most. I would have to say that my favorites are Elmer Bernstein and Max Steiner. My favorite Bernstein scores are Cahill, and the Comancheros. And my favorite Steiner score is The Searchers. Just thought I'd throw this out.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Originally posted by Colorado Bob@Aug 21 2005, 08:20 PM
    Howdy All,
    I was just curious as to which composer of John Wayne film scores do you like the most. I would have to say that my favorites are Elmer Bernstein and Max Steiner. My favorite Bernstein scores are Cahill, and the Comancheros. And my favorite Steiner score is The Searchers. Just thought I'd throw this out.
    Colorado Bob

[snapback]20686[/snapback]

My favorite is Bernstein and of his compositions, I like "The Sons of Katie Elder" best.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi,
    Mine are Elmer Bernstein for,

THE COMMANCHEROS
    THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER
    CAST A GIANT SHADOW
    TRUE GRIT
    BIG JAKE
    CAHILL:U.S.MARSHALL
    McQ
    THE SHOOTIST

and Dimitri Tiomkin for,

RED RIVER
    THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY
    RIO BRAVO
    THE ALAMO
    CIRCUS WORLD
    THE WAR WAGON

Let us also not forget, Victor Young,
    for amongst his others,
    THE QUIET MAN

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I would have to say that without a doubt the theme to the High and the Mighty is the one. Talk about a song that easily recognizable even today many years after the original. The High and the Mighty and John Wayne are synonymous.

The only time you bow down to someone is when you bend over to help them up!

• I would have to say Dimitri Tiomkin really fits the bill for a Wayne film. Not that the others that made music were not spectacular, but like Chisum said, you can recognize THATM even after all this time and that goes the same for the many other films he did the music for.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi All -
    My choice would be, first and foremost, Dimitri Tiomkin. "The High and the Mighty" with its memorable theme, "The War Wagon" with its title ballad sung by Ed Ames (he of tomahawk notoriety on Johnny Carson's "Tonight Show") and "The Alamo" for exciting music to heighten action and a several ballads to boot, which, if not on the first rung of memorability, still are tuneful.
    Elmer Bernstein would be my second choice. He did a number of Duke's films, all very noteworthy.
    As I mentioned in another post a few weeks ago, I wish Jerry Goldsmith had the opportunity to do more JW movies than "In Harm's Way" and "Rio Lobo." He was the consummate craftsman and innovator with music.

"Not hardly!!!"

• What the heck is wrong with me? I had forgotten all about Dimitri Tiomkin! I must be gettin' old or something!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hi,
    Whilst on the subject of composers, perhaps it's worth mentioning,
    two or three lesser known ones, for example:-

Richard Hageman, for
    STAGECOACH
    THE LONG VOYAGE HOME
    ANGEL AND THE BADMAN
    FORT APACHE
    3 GODFATHERS
    SHE WORE A YELLOW RIBBON

Emil Newman for,
    BIG JIM McLAIN
    ISLAND IN THE SKY
    HONDO

and I previously mentioned Victor Young, for THE QUIET MAN
    but he was also responsible for,
    THE DARK COMMAND
    THREE FACES WEST
    REAP THE WILD WIND
    FLYING TIGERS
    SANDS OF IWO JIMA
    RIO GRANDE
    THE CONQUEROR

Oh and by the way, he wrote a little song, young and old might know,

WHEN I FALL IN LOVE

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I didn't know Richard Hagman and Victor Young did the music for so many of Duke's films.
    Colorado Bob