True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 264,098 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I haven't seen it yet but intend to. It's probably been 15 years since I've viewed a movie in a theater but I want to see this movie if for no other reason to compare it to Duke's Oscar winner. I accept without question everyone's judgement that it's a good Western and since that's by far my favorite genre, I'll be going to see it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Ill trust y'alls opinions on the movie but will still wait a bit for furrther comments. The only thing I have going against this movie for now is-matt damon-whom I only liked in: Saving Private Ryan and Bourne Identity.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ill trust y'alls opinions on the movie but will still wait a bit for furrther comments. The only thing I have going against this movie for now is-matt damon-whom I only liked in: Saving Private Ryan and Bourne Identity.

ringo, Matt did nothign to hurt the character of Le Bouf. Being a Texan you may take offense to how he is kidded in the movie but Glen Campbell was picked on in the film as well.

Go see it, I don't think you will be disappointed. I had alot of reservations before I went and I ended up liking it.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hey,my mame is Jim and i am from Boston,I have been a big John Wayne fan all my life.The thing that made me look for a John Wayne fan page is the remake of True Grit,I have seen the new movie and i liked it,not as much as the 1st one,It just seem's that the Cohen brothers and Matt Damon have gone out of there way to dis the Duke and his movie when i have seen them on interview's the last few week's,has any one else felt this way? Great site Jim

• Welcome Jim-I'm looking forward to the new TG, and I too noticed the Coehn's and Damon seeming to want to distance themselves from Duke's original. I guess it's only natural, but I'd be curious to see what type impact the new version has on Duke's. Hopefully more people not familiar with Duke, will seek out his version and get hooked.

Again, glad to have you here-check out the MANY threads here for some great reading and join in anywhere ya like!

• Hey,my mame is Jim and i am from Boston,I have been a big John Wayne fan all my life.The thing that made me look for a John Wayne fan page is the remake of True Grit,I have seen the new movie and i liked it,not as much as the 1st one,It just seem's that the Cohen brothers and Matt Damon have gone out of there way to dis the Duke and his movie when i have seen them on interview's the last few week's,has any one else felt this way? Great site Jim

Hi Jim

WELCOME to The JWMB-
    The Original John Wayne Message Board
    where fans come to have fun!

Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

You may find these links useful:-

John Wayne:- A Newbies Guide to Duke

Link to Duke's Movies, Co-Stars- Pals Of The Saddle and Movie Locations

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• To Big Jim, et al:

During an interview on Hoda & Kathie Lee, Barry Pepper played the "ignorance is bliss" game when asked about the movie.

He stated that the new film would be more true to the book (how original), yet claimed he had not seem the original...

He's doing PR plugs for the film, and spewing what he's told to. Sounds a whole lot like the Coen Brothers original dodge about the whole thing, right?

He did give JW a little bit of props for the OTG, but since he "hadn't seen the original," couldn't really make comparisons...

I'll say again that the remake (& that's EXACTLY what it is, but that's nothing new in Hollywood) will cause more folks who aren't familiar w/JW to take time to watch his films.

Win/win.

• I won't watch the remake...
    It is almost impossible to find actors and actress's that have the Integrity, Honesty and value systems that these time proven actor's/Actress's have had. It finally became clear to me why I like the John Wayne movies. Because I like John Wayne and his person and his passion for justice and conservative principles. Can you imagine trying to find actors and actress's to remake Jimmy Stewart's, 'It's a wonderful Like" ? They just don't exist like they did in the time of the "Greatest Generation"

• I have seen the new one and both movies use the same lines in alot of the movie. There just a few scenes that differ and then the ending is different. Other then that, too me, both movie's follow the same storyline almost to a tee. So if the Coen brother's are more true to the book(I have not read the Portis novel) then the original was not too far away from the book either. I stated above and will say it again, I like the new version but I didn't like the ending of the new one compared to the new one, I liked the happier ending of Duke's.

I think when they are doing interviews the actors are distancing themselves from the JW version because they don't want this version to be compared to the original.

It does make me mad that most of them if not all of them say they have never watched the original, give me a break, how do you not watch the original, at all?????

-John Wayne

• Too much from the critics on this one. Neither version follows the book entirely. The Coen brothers have added the new ending which is how it was written in the book. But again, both used the book and their own script changes. The new one has some scenes that are boring and do not seem necessary. Bridges is good, as is the rest of the cast. It would have taken me awhile to figure out that Matt Damon was LaBeouf. He is very good. I saw this in the afternoon. Went home and watched Wayne's version on TCM. The Coen brothers again used much of the same dialog that was used in the original. It was fun to hear the same dialog delivered by different actors. Duke's "fill your hands you S.O.B." was much more emphatic. Bridges was a little underspoken. Final thoughts. The Coen version: a good old time western and a good cast. After all is said and done the Duke's version is still my favorite.

• After all is said and done the Duke's version is still my favorite.

Mine too. I saw the Coen remake last evening and while I like it, do not think it, as a Western, surpasses Duke's version. I will say this - the new "True Grit" is now my favorite Coen movie.

Except for Jeff Bridges' performance, I do not think any of the new characters outshine the original characters. I still like Kim Darby's Mattie more than the new girl; Robert Duvall more than Pepper (in fact, I've always thought Duvall should have also won an Oscar for his role as Lucky Ned); the old Chaney more than the new; and while I'll admit Matt Damon made a good LaBoeuf, I don't think he was that much better than Glenn Campbell.

As for Bridges, he gave a superlative performance as our grizzled old U.S. Marshal. While this may sound like blasphemy to a lot of our members, I thought Jeff's version of Rooster was every bit as good as Duke's, and possibly a bit better. He was letter-perfect in the role and certainly deserves an Oscar for Best Actor, just like our Main Man. (Wouldn't that be something if both of them won Best Actor awards for the same role?) Because Duke's performance in the original was, in effect, a sort of droll bantering of his own screen image, I don't think the two performances can be honestly compared. Jeff, after all, doesn't have such a screen image at which to poke fun - he was, therefore, doing his own acting and he did it magnificently.

As for the story itself, I liked the original better, especially the ending.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• I saw the Coen remake last evening and while I like it, do not think it, as a Western, surpasses Duke's version. I will say this - the new "True Grit" is now my favorite Coen movie.
    As for the story itself, I liked the original better, especially the ending.

I haven't been here for a while, so I am catching up on my reading. I checked this topic out first since it is a current event. After reading all the posts I have come to the conclusion that Stumpy may possibly be my long lost brother. Your observations echo my own, exactly. When I started to comment on a post, I would find there was no need because you had already stated my thoughts. Since I haven't seen the new TG I will have to wait and see if my opinion of the movie is the same as yours. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my way of thinking. Thanks Stumpy!

• I haven't been here for a while, so I am catching up on my reading. I checked this topic out first since it is a current event. After reading all the posts I have come to the conclusion that Stumpy may possibly be my long lost brother. Your observations echo my own, exactly. When I started to comment on a post, I would find there was no need because you had already stated my thoughts. Since I haven't seen the new TG I will have to wait and see if my opinion of the movie is the same as yours. It's nice to know I'm not alone in my way of thinking. Thanks Stumpy!

Oh God....not 2 Stumpy's!! J/K!!! :wink_smile:

I have that happen once in awhile too with people on the board, I might have more posts if that didn't happen. But it is nice to be on a forum that think the same as me though.

-John Wayne