True Grit (2010)

There are 484 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 264,075 times. The latest Post () was by Moonshine_Sally.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I saw the remake last night & while both films took certain liberties with the novel, I feel that the Coen's version is nowhere near as close to the novel as the original film.

• As others have said, I just hope the remake inspires a renewal of the Western genre. That, IMO, would be the best thing it could accomplish.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• As others have said, I just hope the remake inspires a renewal of the Western genre. That, IMO, would be the best thing it could accomplish.

Depends on what type you are hoping for. I don't think that "Westerns-for-all-ages" will ever rise again, but we might get so called "Adult" Westerns. And frankly I am sick and tired of having profanity, vulgarity and sex shoved in my face whenever I go see a movie.

• frankly I am sick and tired of having profanity, vulgarity and sex shoved in my face whenever I go see a movie.

Your sentiments are the same as mine. I remember being shocked as all get-out when the Duke uttered his now-infamous response to Lucky Ned during their showdown. He'd turn over in his grave if he could see and hear what comes out of movie (and TV) studios nowadays.

As we know, Hollywood turned out thousands of films without sex, profanity and senseless violence before the Lost Generation (Sixties) came along and many of them were wonderful movies.

• My son went to see the film last night and was very impressed. Maybe there's hope after all.

Tbone

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please."

• As we know, Hollywood turned out thousands of films without sex, profanity and senseless violence before the Lost Generation (Sixties) came along and many of them were wonderful movies.

Yes, and I love those pre-1960 movies. My favorite decade would have to be the 40's though.

I'll wait for the dvd I don't like to go to theaters anymore. Expensive, rude people, dirty places, etc.

I only go the movies 2 or 3 times a year because rude people. The first-run theater here is nice and clean, but the second run theater is frightening. Also I don't feel that I get my moneys worth anymore.

• Stumpy! First off i,am glad you like the movie. As we differ on what actor we liked in the part.( or who won who's spurs). I think everyone will agree that Strother Martin rules.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• I completely concur ref. Strother Martin. '69 was a good year for him between "True Grit", "The Wild Bunch", & "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid." He was quite an actor. Last week, I showed the original "True Grit" to a friend who had never seen it before. She cracked up at Strother Martin's complete exasperation in the horse trading scenes.

• For the fun of it, when we went to see True Grit on Christmas Day, I wore my cowboy hat (which required me to sit on the back row of the section where we sat). My friend, who was in a different section, told me I was causing a bit of a sensation from other movie goers in her section ("Wow, look at that guy in the cowboy hat!" and "He looks like John Wayne!").

That made our little trip to the theater even more pleasurable! :wink_smile:

We don't go to the theater very often, either, probably just a couple of times a year. The last film we saw before TG was Toy Story 3, which we saw as a family on Father's Day. We usually go during matinee times (cheaper tickets), the people are generally not too rude, and it seems our theater does a pretty good job of keeping the place clean.

We definitely appreciate hearing everybody's thoughts on the film, it's interesting to see the variety of opinions. We suspect not all forums are so open-minded :wink_smile:.

Chester :newyear:

• Anybody want to lay any money on this film winning Oscars? I'll bet it wins at least two and very possibly more. I still think Bridges should win the Best Actor Oscar.

• Saw it today and there were two fellows with stetsons in the audience. I liked it quite a bit but had seen the original so many times that I had to make an effort not to say the lines before the guys on the screen.
    I don't think that the Quincy and Moon scene was gorier that the Wayne version, it's just that the gunshots were much louder and the scene was filmed closer up.
    The big revelation to me was Barry Pepper. It's like he was cloned from Robert Duvall.
    Here's hoping to a renewed interest in westerns.

We deal in lead, friend.

• They've pretty much given the Best Actor to Colin Firth. I think it's got a shot for Roger Deakins' Cinematography and Hailee Steinfeld.

BTW, the new series of American Masters starts next week on PBS with a profile of Jeff Bridges.

Edited once, last by may2 ().

• Haven't been here in ages but I just wanted to chime in to say that I really liked the remake. Saw it the day after Christmas with a packed crowd. Whatever one's opinion about the movie- it's nice to see a Western at the top of the box office. A standout scene for me was Dakin Matthews as the horse trader- a wonderful, underrated actor.

Happy New Year!

• Here's the link to an article today in the New York Times' about True Grit's Oscar chances.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01…p=3&sq=true%20grit&st=cse
    Ironic that both Colin Firth and Jeff Bridges will probably both be nominated for best actor again this year, though I think that this time Firth will win.

I haven't seen "The King's Speech" but find it hard to believe that the Firth guy could have turned in a performance that's better than Bridges. Of course, given a choice between a Western and something about royalty, the "sophisticated elites" in Hollyweird will pick the film about royalty every time.