Message Board Top 25 Movies

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,919 times. The latest Post () was by B5Erik.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• The Second Annual
    John Wayne Message Board
    Top 25 Movies

Here we are with the vote in and counted up. There is a big surprise this year and I might say an upset. After counting the vote twice, here is the final results from this year's vote, with 21 of you voting in this great event.

1. The Quiet Man (4) 435
    2. The Searchers (5) 410
    3. True Grit (2) 336
    4. Rio Bravo (1) 312
    5. The Shootist (1) 293
    6. McLintock! 265
    7. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon (1) 255
    8. Red River (1) 247
    9. Stagecoach (1) 232
    9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 232
    11. Sands of Iwo Jima (1) 217
    12. The Sons of Katie Elder 210
    13. El Dorado 206
    14. Big Jake (1) 196
    15. Hondo 192
    16. Rio Grande 181
    17. They Were Expendable (2) 168
    18. Fort Apache 166
    19. The Alamo (1) 165
    20. Rooster Cogburn and the Lady 159
    21. Chisum 140
    22. Three Godfathers 137
    23. The Horse Soldiers 118
    23. Hatari! 118
    25. The Comancheros 93

Out of the Top 25 Movies –
    Westerns 21
    20th Century Military 2

*Please note that the number in the parenthesis are first place votes. The numbers after the movie is the points calculated from your rankings. Ties are the results of the total points from the 21 members who voted for the movie and having the same results in the points.

Many thanks to those who participated in the top 25 poll. Robbie, Mdwaw, Chisum, Bandit, Sands_Of-IwoJima, Stumpy, JWFan, nathan_brittles, billy the kid, Jen, Chester, Hondo, LibertyV, Arthur, smokey, SXViper, General Sterling Price, Chance, UncleGunns, Itdo, Jacob McCandles and Nathan Brittles.

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This is the rest of the votes counted in this years vote. With a total of 76 John Wayne movies counted. This is the ranking of the rest of the field.

26. North to Alaska 90
    26. The Cowboys 90
    28. The Green Berets 89
    29. Angel and the Badman 86
    30. Donavan’s Reef 82
    31. Tall in the Saddle 66
    32. Operation Pacific 50
    33. The Fighting Seabees 47
    34. Trouble Along the Way 45
    35. Wake of the Red Witch 43
    35. McQ 43
    37. The War Wagon 41
    38. The Longest Day 39
    39. Brannigan 36
    40. The Undefeated 33
    41. The Fighting Kentuckian 32
    42. Reap the Wild Wind 31
    43. Dark Command 27
    44. The Sea Chase (1) 25
    44. Cahill US Marshall 25
    44. A Lady Takes a Chance 25
    47. In Harms Way 22
    47. The High and the Mighty 22
    49. West of the Divide 21
    50. The Wings of Eagles 20
    50. Claim Jumpers 20
    52. Pittsburgh 18
    52. In Old California 18
    54. The Long Voyage Home 17
    55. Circus World 16
    55. Allegheny Uprising/The First Rebel 16
    57. The Big Trail 15
    58. The Flying Tigers 14
    59. Blood Alley 13
    60. How the West Was Won 12
    61. Lady Takes a Chance 11
    62. The Spoilers 10
    63. Rio Lobo 9
    64. Three Faces West 7
    64. Hellfighters 7
    64. The Conqueror 7
    67. Without Reservations 4
    67. Flying Leathernecks 4
    69. The Flying Tigers 3
    70. Winds from the Wasteland 2
    70. The Lawless Frontier 2
    72. The Greatest Story Ever Told 1
    72. Flame of Barbary Coast 1
    72. Born To the West 1
    72. Blue Steel 1
    72. Back to Bataan 1

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• This is a list of the Top 25 Duke movies out on DVD in Region 1. I'll get the listing for the other regions and list them soon.

1. The Quiet Man
    2. The Searchers
    3. True Grit
    4. Rio Bravo
    5. The Shootist
    6. McLintock! - Bad Copy
    7. She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
    8. Red River
    9. Stagecoach
    9. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    11. Sands of Iwo Jima
    12. The Sons of Katie Elder
    13. El Dorado
    14. Big Jake
    16. Rio Grande
    17. They Were Expendable
    19. The Alamo - Cut Version
    20. Rooster Cogburn and the Lady
    21. Chisum
    23. The Horse Soldiers
    23. Hatari!
    25. The Comancheros

- John Wayne quote

• SXViper,

Try DVD Price Search.

This will give you the best price at the on-line sites, and all the movies you ever want to see, including John Wayne movies.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• I'm brand new to this board, and it looks like I'm a month and a half too late for the voting. That's OK, I'm not upset about it... The hell I'm not!

Then again, I haven't seen 25 John Wayne films - yet.

For years I tried to get all of Humphrey Bogarts movies, and with the exception of his early works (many of which are now lost) I've got almost all of them on tape, laserdisc, or DVD.

I always liked John Wayne, but I never saw anything as a teenager or young adult that really caught my attention (I liked the parts of The Green Berets that I saw, and I liked the parts of The War Wagon that I saw, but I never really saw an entire John Wayne movie until I was 30).

Now I'm on board - John Wayne really was something special, and there's a damn good reason that he became such a beloved figure. Now I feel like I really missed out - but, on the other hand, I'm REALLY enjoying discovering all of these movies on DVD!

So let me list my favorites so far....

1. The Shootist
    2. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    3. The Searchers
    4. Rio Bravo
    5. El Dorado
    6. The Alamo
    7. Sands Of Iwo Jima
    8. The Fighting Seabees
    9. The War Wagon
    10. The Longest Day
    11. The Spoilers
    12. The Cowboys
    13. Rio Lobo (This one's just OK, a "by the numbers" John Wayne Western)

That's all that I've seen. I've got a lot to catch up on, don't I? I need to win the lottery so I can buy all the rest of the John Wayne movies currently available on DVD! Either that or get a second mortgage on my house!

Anyway, I'm glad that I found this board.

(Next on my "to watch" list is True Grit - I got that in a 3 pack with El Dorado and Rio Lobo and I saved it for last.)

• B5Erik,

I want to welcome you to the greatest message board for John Wayne. I appreciate your votes, and can see that you need to get caaught up with your Duke dose of movies. I'd like to suggest that you look at the list and see the ones on this board likes and get the movie. I am impressed with what you have seen so far. And what you like the best. You don't have to buy, buy, buy. Just get one and enjoy it. Most of Duke's "A" movies are on VHS. You can get a great number of those on DVD. I hope when you see some of those movies, you'll post and tell us what you think of the movie.

I suggest that you get a copy of The Quiet Man, either on DVD or VHS. And watch your copy of True Grit. Those are two great ones.

Great to have you on board.

Cheers, Hondo B)

- John Wayne quote

• B5Erik,

I would like to add my WELCOME to you, to the John Wayne Message Board :D ! It's a grand place to be for fans of the Duke :lol: !

If you have a choice between DVD and VHS, especially for movies like The Quiet Man, I would highly recommend the DVD. The special features for that particular film are a wonderful addition, and well worth the money ;) .

When I looked at the top 20 films from last year, I hadn't seen quite a few, but was able to over the past year, having added to my collection through used VHS from eBay and Amazon, and DVDs from Deep Discount DVD, a great online site that Hondo turned us on to. Very competitive prices, and free shipping (at least the last time I looked :rolleyes: ).

I have also been able to see some of the Duke's films thanks to the local video store, believe it or not.

Welcome again, and we hope to see you around again, often!

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Thanks for the kind welcome messages. I'm a DVD addict, and since there are so many John Wayne movies on DVD it just kind of feeds that addiction - in this case it's a good addiction! :D

It's funny, I saw most of The Quiet Man on TV in my late teens, and I thought it was pretty good, but nothing I'd want to buy. I haven't seen it since. I was a little surprised to see it on top of the list over movies like The Searchers and The Shootist. I'm going to have to re-examine that one - some of my co-workers also had very good things to say about The Quiet Man!

True Grit is next on my "to watch" list, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, yeah - I already knew about Deep Discount DVD - that is a great source for DVDs! Low prices, free shipping - you can't go wrong! (OK, their free shipping is slow, but at their prices who cares?)

I hope to have about 30 or so John Wayne DVDs in my collection by the end of the year.

I hope to be a fairly regular contributor to this board, looks like a great bunch of John Wayne's fans!