Welcome, New Members!

There are 1,696 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 643,902 times. The latest Post () was by FanoftheDuke67.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Fairly new to site but long time Wayne fan. Met the Duke when I worked at BWI airport in 66. Live in central Florida with my wife, daughter and my horse Yatahee.

• Fairly new to site but long time Wayne fan. Met the Duke when I worked at BWI airport in 66. Live in central Florida with my wife, daughter and my horse Yatahee.

Welcome to the site srequestrian67! Glad you took the time to join & post, hope to see you around here often.

• Welcome aboard, srequestrian67. Glad you found us. Why don't you tell us a little more about your brush with Duke. We never tire of stories like that.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Hi Greenhollow,

WELCOME to The Original JWMB.
    Please take a look around,
    we're a friendly bunch of folks,
    and there is a wealth of information to see,
    regarding the great man.

Your top banner, on your profile, needs adjusting, it's rather large!
    Have you done this, or has it just occured?

You may find this link useful:-

Link to Duke's Movies and Co-Stars

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi gang,

I'm 31 and from upstate New York. I'm a movie buff, with a large DVD collection that covers all genres and eras, yet sadly only recently have I allowed myself to discover the wonderful world of Mr. Wayne. I saw 'The Searchers' first, figuring since it made the AFI list it must be pretty good. Also, I'm a sucker for VistaVision and technicolor. I rolled the dice and bought the DVD sight unseen. Sure enough, I fell in love with it. I quickly went out and bought 'Rio Bravo' and The Cowboys' too ($9 a shot at Walmart, you can't beat that). Really enjoyed' Rio Bravo', and 'The Cowboys' was simply amazing. I truly loved that film. Bruce Dern really deilvered.

Anyway, I'm still pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to Mr. Wayne, so I wanted to join the board to learn more about him and find out which films to see and which to avoid as I dive head first into his body of work. I've put an order in at Amazon to get Paramounts Western Collection set next. In the meantime, I'm eyeballing that new Fox Western Collection I saw in the store, and might very well pick that up next.

I'm mostly here to learn and probably won't have much to contribute, although I promise to share my intial impressions of each film as I tackle them. I'm going to focus primarily on the westerns for starters. If there's a movie you think I simply MUST see next before any others please advise me. That Paramount set that's going to be shipped to me is packed with titles that I know are big among fans (Hondo, Liberty Valance, The Shootist, etc), so I'm very anxious to get my hands on it and dig in.

Thanks for having me in your community.

• Zodiac,

We'd like to join Keith in welcoming you to the Original John Wayne Message Board, one of the friendliest message boards you are to encounter anywhere. You will also find an incredible amount of information, both about John Wayne and his films, but also many other topics as well. I hope you will take the time to check out the different threads dedicated to each film of John Wayne (at least mostly the ones you will be able to obtain and watch).

We're certainly glad you have discovered John Wayne! You mention having a rather extensive DVD collection. Does it include older movies? We have learned there is a wealth of entertainment, almost all of it family friendly, in the older films. The more you watch, the more you will start to recognize different actors and actresses and come to know them by name. It's been a fun journey.

Again, WELCOME, and we look forward to hearing your impressions of the different films. You will also find a myriad of other topics and discussions in which to join, and we hope you will! NO pressure, though - we just want you to enjoy your time here, whether as an active poster, or an "active" lurker :teeth_smile:.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• Chester,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I have all sorts of films in my DVD collection, from silent era things like Charlie Chaplin films, Metropolis, and Nosferatu to modern films, like the recent "There Will Be Blood", which was such a mind-numbingly great film. I am a big fan of the films of Orson Welles and Alfred Hitchcock, so they have a special place on my shelf. I have to mention the films of W.C. Fields as well. Of course, I also love Clint Eastwood, and have just about all of his films on DVD. My tastes are pretty all over the place. I like silly comedies like "The Cannonball Run" and "Anchorman" just as much as more serious things, like "M" or "Raging Bull".

• Zodiac -
    WELCOME to the JWMB. You've come to the right place to find out info on Duke and, no matter if you are new to his talents, you'll fit right in. You'll find all of us here to be a friendly group who will be glad to answer any questions you might have. Most of the time someone will be able to answer them.
    In the meantime, come onboard and enjoy!
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Welcome Zodiac I know you said Westerns were important but I suggest The Quiet Man and Donovans Reef as two JW titles for consideration.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hello and welcome aboard, Zodiac and billymackwilliams. It's always a pleasure having more people join in and have some fun. Looking foward to getting to know you both. Jump right in, don't be shy.

Zodiac, the set you are waiting on is a great set. You will love all the films. You must also look to get Red River. A classic if there ever was one.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• Yes, 'Red River' is high on my list of things to see, but the current DVD looks rather lackluster. I might have to hold out for the inevitable special edition. MGM does a terrible job with their catalog of films. They could learn a thing or two from Warner Brothers.

I've cancelled my order of the Paramount Western collection. No, I haven't gone yella, I have upgraded to Paramount's Century Collection, which I found available from Amazon's "Warehouse" Deals store for $51, which is only $4 more than I was going to pay for the other set. All those films for fifty bucks is a steal.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be plenty busy once the set arrives. A lot to digest!

• Hi All,

I found this site while searching for images of John and Robert Mitchum, to whom I am related by marriage. John Mitchum, you should know, penned most of the poetry on the spoken-word album (spoken by the Duke) America, Why I Love Her. Robert, of course, was in El Dorado with Wayne, as was John, but it was during the filming of Chisum that co-star Forrest Tucker recommended to Wayne that he record John's poetry.

While I was still dating my wife-to-be and shortly after the release of the album, I went along for a ride to Wayne's house. I was a skinny, long-haired "hippie" at the time (I'm not skinny anymore). He introduced himself in a sincere manner: "Hi, I'm John Wayne!" and offered me his enormous hand. It occured to me to say something flip, because, after all, who in the world didin't know who he was? He seemed like a nice enough guy.

Please visit our site in honor of John Mitchum.