John Waynes Co Workers

There are 6 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,550 times. The latest Post () was by arthurarnell.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• [ATTACH]13] [ATTACH]12] [ATTACH]11]

[ATTACH]10] [ATTACH]9]

Hi I collect photographs of actors and actresses who appeared with John Wayne.
    I managed to get these yesterday.

Regards

Arthur

• Those are lovely, Arthur - thanks for sharing them with us.

I've always thought Jennifer Jones to be a very great beauty. What movie was she in with Duke? The only western I remember her in was Duel in the Sun.

• Hi Jen

She was in New Frontier 1939 playing Celia probably billed as Phyllis Isley this was before she met David O Selznick who changed her entire image and name.

Name changes are difficult at times and embarrassing if you miss them

George Pletz doesn't sound a major star but as George Mongomery it becomes different.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Aha - that explains it. I wondered how she got the name of Jennifer as it wasn't a very popular name in her day. Supposedly it was Love Story with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal that gave us all the 1970s era Jennifers.

Still don't know how Jason became so popular during that same era, though.

You are a font of information.

• Hi Jen

I,m not sure about the 1970s but the name Jason will be going into Smokey's territory with Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue in the mid eigthies programe Neighbours that began in Australia about then, and when it came over here everyone started calling their kids Jason and Kylie.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hey Jen,

Did "Love Story" influenced your name. I thought it was in the 60's, but when I looked it up, I saw that you were right, it came out in 1970.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Jen and Hondo

After David O Selsnic had modelled Jennifer Jones to whatever 'perfection' he was satisfied with as her Svengali he had to choose the perfect film and in 1948 he cast her as co-star with Joseph Cotton in 'A Portrait of Jennie a strange eeiree picture about an artist who is spurred on by a beautiful girl.

The film went on to win the 1949 Academy Award and was hailed for its brilliant lighting. The cinematographer was Joseph H August assisted by Lee Garmes. Both cinematographers were used to film John Wayne Pictures.

This was Joseph Augusts last picture, either during the making of it or shortly after completing it he was taken ill and died. I think it was during and that why Lee Garms became involved.

I haven't seen the picture but they say it has a weird ending and it is truly striking being filmed almost entirely in black and white by a master of his craft.

Besides winning the Academy Award it did well for the director William Dietrle who won a prize at the venice Film Festival.

But another popular reason why the name Jennifer may come to the fore.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low