Duke's Missing And Rare Movies

There are 297 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 208,879 times. The latest Post () was by Bravo.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi Keith

THANK YOU!

And nice to see how this list is shrinking.

Now who wants to mount a campaign to get the few on this list in UCLA etc released to us fans?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Strong Boy
    Women Of All Nations.

I have researched these films,
    and cannot find any documented evidence
    or reference to Duke being in or involved with the above movies.
    I have removed these two from our Filmography,
    until any further and positive information, comes to light!

Tim Lilley in The Big Trail.
    said

Of all the 'possible' title linked to to John Wayne
    WOAN seems the most unlikeliest candiate,
    even with the availability of the existing copies to view

I can't spot anything in the mannerisms
    and vocalizations......
    to make me confident I am watching John Wayne

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 6 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• Hi, I am glad the info I gave about Bygone videos helped you. I do not, as you may have realised, that I get online in the website much, I get in every couple of months or so, but I do get a bit busy, as I write stories and spend a lot of time, trying to get an agent and get published. I also keep my yahoo site, johnwaynefans going, as I was left in charge after the sudden death of the original owner, Clay Perkins, in 2007. I recently went to the John Wayne film society in Nottingham, U.K earlier this month, as they are hoping to get the conventions back on and running, as the organiser has now recovered from cancer. For any of you who don't know or have not heard of this society, it is run by brothers Dave and Patrick Cutts and the socity has been officially recognised by the Wayne Enterprise. One member who attended had some badges he gave out and to my surprise they were badges for this group and I wear it proudly with my other John Wayne badges. If anybody is interested in the John Wayne film society, details can be obtained from www.filmcutts.com So although I do not get into this site much, I am proud to be apart of it. Thanks, Clive.

• Hi, I am glad the info I gave about Bygone videos helped you. I do not, as you may have realised, that I get online in the website much, I get in every couple of months or so, but I do get a bit busy, as I write stories and spend a lot of time, trying to get an agent and get published. I also keep my yahoo site, johnwaynefans going, as I was left in charge after the sudden death of the original owner, Clay Perkins, in 2007. I recently went to the John Wayne film society in Nottingham, U.K earlier this month, as they are hoping to get the conventions back on and running, as the organiser has now recovered from cancer. For any of you who don't know or have not heard of this society, it is run by brothers Dave and Patrick Cutts and the socity has been officially recognised by the Wayne Enterprise. One member who attended had some badges he gave out and to my surprise they were badges for this group and I wear it proudly with my other John Wayne badges. If anybody is interested in the John Wayne film society, details can be obtained from www.filmcutts.com So although I do not get into this site much, I am proud to be apart of it. Thanks, Clive.

Great to hear from you Clive.
    Unfortunately the JWFS has never supported our great forum,
    and for some unkown reason, will never mention us.
    I have personally withdrawn my support for the society,
    and subsequently demoted the dedicated thread I had for them.
    I feel sure, that their cause would have been better served
    maintaining a friendship with us,
    rather than the one, they think they have,
    with the 'Official' forum.
    A forum I might add, that just recently
    was rubbishing one of the JWFS's endorsed products!!

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have now completed my reviews of all of
    the early 'rare' movies, that are listed in our

Duke's Filmography
    This now means every movie listed there
    has now been profiled and reviewed

Should any further information come to light
    regarding any other early movies, I will amend accordingly.
    Such as Strong Boy,(I am currently awaiting some information)
    and Women Of All Nations (No sufficent proof yet)

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hello Keith

Re: Strong Boy (1929)

“Wayne was an extra and worked as a prop man.” Landesman, Fred. The John Wayne Filmography. McFarland & Company, Inc., 2007. ISBN 0786432527

Fords other two films of 1929, Salute and the Black Watch are both associated with JW so it would seem more than likely that what landesman wrote above is correct.

0n 20 July 2007 you yourself posted this message Keith LOL "These, HAM HAMILTONS COMEDIES, STRONG BOY, THE LONE STAR RANGER These are mentioned by Tim Lilley in The Big Trail. Maybe, maybe, not an actor in them, but still worth of inclusion " http://www.dukewayne.com/search.php?searchid=188900

Re: Women of all nations (1931)

“The rare Fox production was originally 95 mins. but was cut to 72 mins. before release, eliminating small roles by both Humphrey Bogart and John Wayne (still visible in the background)! It was recently restored (still at 72 mins) by UCLA.” (Michael J. Weldon). http://www.psychotronic.com/si…iles/reviews/30s_sk-z.pdf

Interestingly if you run a google search for a bogart filmography they nearly all list Women of all nations!

Keith I would be most interested to hear what exactly Tim Lilley said in the big trail about strong boy.

As I have a copy of the restored version of women of all nations when I get some time I will try to spot JW in the background

However as you know, My own filmography differs from the official one here on this board in that I consider an "association" by JW as making a film worthy of inclusion on my filmography and of course a place in my collection. By association I mean as Actor, Producer, Director, Crew, himself etc and I also include short films in my list and collection.

Now this is MY preference and thank the Lord we all different. I am not opening another can of worms and suggesting for one minute that the Filmography on this board be changed. As I said each to thier own.

But, I see no valid reasons yet why these 2 should come off the list?

Be who you are & say what you feel Because those who mind dont matter & those who matter dont mind

• Hi All

As a follow up to my last post:

I could argue that a few more should come off the rare and unavailable list posted on this board.

I personally am only looking for the following fifteen films AS I HAVE A COPY OF ALL OF THE REST ON THE FILMOGRAPHY ON THIS BOARD

AND

I have copies of those you have chosen not to include in your filmography such as shorts, where JW was Producer etc

So, as far as I am concerned and anyone else who wants to send me a PM these FIFTEEN (15) are the truly "RARE & UNAVAILABLE" Films that John Wayne is associated with.

1. 1929 Forward Pass, the (First National)
    2. 1929 Speakeasy (Fox)
    3. 1929 Strong Boy (Fox)
    4. 1929 Words and Music (Fox)
    5. 1930 Cheer up and Smile (Fox)
    6. 1931 Deceiver, the (Columbia)
    7. 1931 Girls Demand Excitement (Fox)
    8. 1931 Three Girls Lost (Fox)
    9. 1932 Hollywood Handicap, the (Universal)
    10. 1932 Running Hollywood (Universal)
    11. 1932 That’s my Boy (Columbia)
    12. 1932 Voice of Hollywood no 13, The (Tiffany)
    13. 1933 Sweetheart of Sigma Chi aka Girl of my Dreams UK title (Monogram)
    14. 1936 Oregon Trail, the (Republic)
    15. 1937 Adventure’s End (Universal)

Re items 5, 7 and 8 there is a copy or print or incomplete print in UCLA film & TV archives. www.cinema.ucla.edu

Re items 3, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13 the status of these films is unknown. Whilst rumours abound of possible prints in private collection these have yet to be offically verified.

Those on the list I have marked in red (items 1, 2, 4, 14 and 15) are Considered LOST. (a feature film or short film that is no longer known to exist in studio archives, private collections or the archive of, for instance, the Library of Congress, where all American films are deposited for copyright reasons.)

Edited 2 times, last by Elly ().

• 0n 20 July 2007 you yourself posted this message Keith LOL "These, HAM HAMILTONS COMEDIES, STRONG BOY, THE LONE STAR RANGER These are mentioned by Tim Lilley in The Big Trail. Maybe, maybe, not an actor in them, but still worth of inclusion " http://www.dukewayne.com/search.php?searchid=188900

Keith I would be most interested to hear what exactly Tim Lilley said in the big trail about strong boy.

Thanks Elly for reminding me what I said LOL,
    and I am awaiting a copy of Tim's review of Strong Boy

It's also important to know that Fred Landesman's reviews were
    the one's that Tim Lilley originally compiled for The Big Trail,
    and the biggest 'moan' about Fred's book,
    is that there was nothing new!

My notes about WOAN are from The Big Trail
    so we need to view the movie and confirm Duke's appearance.

We have to also realise, that whilst Duke was a prop boy,
    we could assume that he may have been involved in every production,
    that was released by the Fox Film Corporation at that time,
    and then the FIlmography could be even bigger!!!

We therefore must be realistic and try and pinpoint Duke,
    to actually being involved

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Edited 2 times, last by ethanedwards ().

• We have to also realise, that whilst Duke was a prop boy, we could assume that he may have been involved in every production, that was released by the Fox Film Corporation at that time,
    and then the FIlmography could be even bigger!!!

We therefore must be realistic and try and pinpoint Duke, to actually being involved

Keith

I have taken my sources from books, library catalogues etc. where the association with John Wayne is clearly stated and only included these on my filmography.

Whilst I have included Tim Lilley as a valuable source, I have not used him as the "be all and end all" authority on John Wayne and his work. I have tried to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other.

With both of these films it does actually state JW was MORE than a prop boy so I think your second point is no longer valid?

In any event I shall keep these on my own list.

Edited 4 times, last by Elly: Spelling ().

• Thanks Elly for reminding me what I said LOL,
    and I am awaiting a copy of Tim's review of Strong Boy

It's also important to know that Fred Landesman's reviews were
    the one's that Tim Lilley originally compiled for The Big Trail . . .

Earlier this year, I was able to obtain all but one edition of The Big Trail, although I don't yet have an index. If you have an index and can tell me which issue has information on Strong Boy, I can tell you what Tim Lilley has to say about it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Earlier this year, I was able to obtain all but one edition of The Big Trail, although I don't yet have an index. If you have an index and can tell me which issue has information on Strong Boy, I can tell you what Tim Lilley has to say about it.

Mrs. C :angel1:

Sue,

Arthur also has a copy of it, I am also awaiting his reply,
    but if you find one first, let me know

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• My notes about WOAN are from The Big Trail
    so we need to view the movie and confirm Duke's appearance.

Hi Keith

Well I have spent hours today looking at my poor quality copy of Women of all nations and I am still none the wiser! (but this from the woman who cannot see JW in Bardelys either)

I have done 2 things to help resolve this

1. I have ordered 2 more copies of Women of all nations which I am assured are good quality and will view them when they arrive

2. I have emailed UCLA film & television department to see if they can confirm what Michael J Weldon wrote in his review.

I will keep you posted on what I find out.

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• Elly,

I can't confirm, but I think that Universal Studios said that there was some copy of Adventure's End (1937) in their hands. We had a discussion, but I can't fully recall the full information. If my memory is correct, someone on this message board contact Universal, and they confirmed that they have the negatives to that movie. I think it was itdo who told me that, but again, I don't recall exactly who that was. And I have not been able to find the post about that. I'll do some searching on that.

They did not release it on VHS, DVD, Laser Disc, Beta, or Bluray.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi Hondo and Thanks! If you don't manage to find the post I can always write to universal and ask them again.

In fact as I like to have the most "official" sources I can, not sure why I did not think to do that myself re all of the ones on the rare & missing list.

there are only 15 and I can always ask if they have plans to release any of them.

But I will wait until later today its almost 7am here and I have not been to bed yet so need to get some sleep.

• Hi Everyone

Friendship train 1947 Warner bros 12 minutes

I now have a copy of this and as usual have viewed it but cannot spot JW in it. However, I have it on good authority he was there AND another member also has a copy and if anyone can spot him he will!

So I will post a screen capture of this when i know what to capture!

In the meantime you might be interested in the history of the friendship train.

http://thefriendshiptrain1947.org/

It made me weep to watch the film, not sure why but I cried buckets. I do recall thinking it would never happen today, but maybe I am wrong about that?

Edited once, last by Elly: spelling ().

• I finally watched Four Sons, with an eye for possibly seeing John Wayne in one of the streets scenes or as an 'officer' as listed in the IMDb.

Below is a link to a simple animation of something that caught my eye, an edited sequence of what looks to be John Wayne in a street scene.

Now, I'm not saying this is him. Such visual detective work is rather subjective in this particular case. I can only provide the evidence and a hunch that it might be Wayne. Chances are good, however, that it is not.

For those who view the sequence, please post your gut feeling and tell us your opinion. For me, when I see the police officer smile, I see John Wayne. But that's just me.

http://www.vanc.igs.net/~roughley/four_sons.html

• hi RR

Re four sons animated clip Looking at that with my poor eyes I would say it is JW.

However I too have a copy of this film on DVD and will dig it out and watch these scenes in a bigger screen then get back to you.

Edited once, last by Elly: Spelling ().