Question For Veterans And This Is Way

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,714 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: First I would like to say that I grew up watching TV wiht my family and parents. We also watched repeats of classic shows like: COMBAT, The FBI, Gunsmoke, Star Trek, Wagon Train, The Munsters, Leave It To Beaver, McHales Navy and Hogan's Heroes to name a few.

I am 37 yrs old and still love all those shows. I noticed over the years that when someone usually mentions Hogan's Heroes for instance, that many people over my age group absolutely hated that series. I was wondering if I could get your opinions of Hogan's Heroes and COMBAT. The entire COMBAT series will have been released on dvd by Novembar 2005, and Hogan's Heroes is starting to be released I think early Mar 2005.

Both shows are shows I remember from my earliest recollections of watching TV and some of my fondest memories of watching TV with my family.

Best regards TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Of the two, I liked "Combat" best. Most people your age usually name "MASH" as their favorite war-related TV show. Did you ever watch any of the "Tour of Duty" series? It was a pretty fair show about combat in Vietnam. I also thought it was far more realistic and true-to-life than "Combat".

On a side note, the first time I ever saw Vic Morrow was as a teenage punk in the 1950's Glenn Ford film "Blackboard Jungle". I figured he would become typecast as a hoodlum because of his excellent performance in that movie. So I was kinda surprised when they cast him as the good guy in "Combat".

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Hello Stumpy and thanks for your reply.

It's hard for me to choose between the two as which I liked the best. Sergeant Schultz on H.H's was a favorite of mine as well as Col Klink but, Sgt Saunders and Caje were favorites of mine on COMBAT.

I have seen M*A*S*H as I was growing up and sometimes watch some in re-runs on the Hallmark Channel but, M*A*S*H has always been played at 10:30 PM on the ABC station since before the series ended--I got kinda tired of it. Well, for a while that is.

I loved Tour of Duty, I have I think every episode on VHS and plan to get it on DVD, now that it has been released. It was the only series I have seen to deal with the Vietnam War, that I really enjoyed. I could not stand China Beach--too soap opera-like.

Tour of Duty was more realistic than COMBAT in many areas. For instance, the equipment used in ToD was more accurate than was used in COMBAT. The uniforms were way more accurate as well. In Combat, a German Panzer, was usually a repainted American tank. A German command car sometimes was a Jeep. Also, in many earlier episodes, the Germans used ww1 vintage water-cooled Machineguns--which they did not use in late 1944.

I have seen The Blackboard Jungle as well. It is one of my all-time favorite Glan Ford movies. I thought Vic morrow was great as that punk, and I liked Sidney Poitier in his role as well. I think it was recently on TCM with in the last 2 weeks. I wanted to see it again but did not have time to do so.

Well, I bought COMBAT Season 1 Campaign 1 on DVD about two weeks ago. I watched all 16 episodes--many for the first time. They really did a great job in the first season of the show. A Day In June was the pilot episode and has Harry Dean Stanton in it.

I can hardly wait till I can get Season 2, Campaign 1 of COMBAT. It has a 2 hr episode that has Richard Basehart in it as a sinister German Officer in charge of a POW camp.

• I'm not a vet, naturally, but I wonder if some of the contempt for "Hogan's Heroes" stems from the fact that the main guy on it (Bob Crane) wound up pursuing less respectable acting venues later on, if you know what I mean...

I don't recall ever watching it myself. I'm a little less than a decade younger than you, Ringo, and it was on late at night in syndication, as I recall. I still remember the theme song, though. A great whistling tune.

I never really watched MASH more than a few times either. My war-related TV show experience is limited to shows like "China Beach" and "Tour of Duty" - stuff that was on in the '80s and '90s. Was "Tour of Duty" the one that used the Rolling Stones' "Paint It Black" for a theme song?

• JEN; I was not in WW-2 but I was in the Korea conflict flying B-29s and it was nice to laugh at people like Sargent Shults and Col. Klink in "Hogan's Heroes" just for fun of it! You are right about Bob Crane he did not have a very nice ending just 100 miles south of me in Scottsdale.

M.A.S.H. was another thing as it was done by Hollywood as a protest to the Viet Nam War but it Back-Fired on them and became a Hit with the people of the time and with many Vets of WW-2 ,Korea War and the Viet Nam War. Just fun to watch. Because most of us Vets are older I think than you, most of us like to Laugh at things like these Wars, it is better than just Cussing at them!!! :lol: Chilibill :cowboy:

• :cowboy: Hello A Girl named Jen/Mr. Brooks.

I think you hit something about H.H's. I never thought to not want to watch the show because Bob Crane was into a wierd lifestyle. I remember as a kid when they announced that he had been murdered but at that time, I had not known what I do now about him. I just was saddened at his death. This happened when his show was played on Channel 10 at 4:40 PM every afternoon. I think like Mr. Brooks that my reason for watching the show was because it made me laugh and it was fun to look at. I gues I just never thought to not watch HH because of Crane's past. Not thinking of his past, you might actually enjoy watching the series. I'd give it a shot a few times and then make a judgement. The theme song I also liked. You can get it on record that also features Crane's voice as well as that of Sgt. Schultz. Hogan says something like: "Hey Schultz, i'm gonna walk right out that front gate" and Schultz does his crying whail which is funny.

BTW, John Banner-Sgt. Schultz & Werner Klemperer-Col. Klink, both left Germany befor ethe war and immigrated to the USA. You can see John banner in other older movies like: Go For Broke: w/ Van Johnson, and 36 Hours: w/ James Garner. Klemperer was also in his fair share of good movies as well. One that comes to mind that I dearly love to see is: Judgement At Nuremberg w/ Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Maximilian Schell.

M*A*S*H is OK for me when there is nothing else on since I probably have seen all or most episodes more than once. You are correct: Tour Of Duty did play Paint It Black as its theme. It really was a well done show and I wished it had lasted longer than it did.

I would bet that Mr. Brooks might have liked to watch the series: Twelve O'Clock High. I was lucky enough to have had a friend that managed to tape me several episodes before it was taken off Canadian TV. It was nicely done series as well.

Mr. Brooks, I still intend to ask you about your Korean War service and Mig Alley, as soon as things slow down for me a bit here.

Best regards to you both--TRK.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Nov 15 2004, 03:48 PM
    Klemperer was also in his fair share of good movies as well. One that comes to mind that I dearly love to see is: Judgement At Nuremberg w/ Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster and Maximilian Schell.

It's true "Judgement at Nuremberg" is an excellent movie. However, Klemperer plays a much more sinister character in that than the likable bumbler he plays on "Hogan's Heroes".

• Hi - another one a few months old -

I was ambivalent about Hogan's Heros when it was first aired on the network in the 60s. The show had many good episodes and some good scripts. But Bob Crane as too overbearing with his own comrades. Too many times he struck me as snide and too know-it-all. I don't know if this was the intent of the producers or if this was a manifestation of Crane's own persona.

Regards - Jay <_<

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I enjoyed the heck out of Hogan's Heroes and they are releasing the first season on DVD in the next month or so.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• You have made me a very happy man today.I for one will be buying all of the seasons to both COMBAT! and Hogans Heros just as soon as they come out,i love both of these shows and after i have obtained all of these i will deffinetly work on others sucha s gunsmoke.

I already have all 5 seasons to Sanford and Son (what a funny show).

-IHW

• Sorry i just want to add that i seen The Munsters seaon one for sale t he other day,as well as Have Gun will travel and Star Trek.!

-IHW

• :cowboy: Hi Stumpy, Jay, SXviper, IHW.

Stumpy, yep and it was refreshing to see Klemperer in some role other than as Col Klink. There are a few other movies i'd like to see him in, one of which is a cold war type movie. I think its to do with East Germans escaping from East Berlin to West Berlin through a tunnel system.

Jay, I have always loved the series but, my favorite characters were: Sgt. Schultz, Sgt. Kinchloe (The Radioman) and Sgt. Carter (the oaf). This show was one of the earliest I had recollections of watching, just like Gunsmoke, Andy Griffith, Leave It To Beaver and Star Trek. I never thought to pay any attention to Crane's acting or otherwise but that will be something to watch out for when I buy the 1st season of the show. I have only seen the pilot episode of the series once. This one Sgt Carter was a Lieutenant and also was not a bumbling oaf. I wonder why they changed his character?

SXViper, me too. And I think the first season will be released either in March or April. I'm definately buying it and more of COMBAT. My next Combat purchase will be Season 2, Mission 1. There is a 2-part episode in that season that has one of my all-time favorite actors in it playing a German officer/POW commandant. He is Richard Basehart from Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea fame.

IHW, I saw Have Gun will Travel for sale at Best Buy but, they are more expensive than http://www.DeepDiscountDVD.com. I have not seen that series going back at least 25-30 years.

TRK.

• In February they're releasing on disc the first season of one of my all-time favorite TV shows: "Miami Vice". I thought Detective Sonny Crockett, as played by Don Johnson, was about the coolest character ever to appear on TV.

• :wub: Detective Sonny Crockett. Oh my goodness gracious sakes. I had the most tremendous crush on him, and I was only like eight or nine when that show first came out. I wanted to marry Don Johnson - never mind the fact that he was pushing 40 at the time. And who else could have made stubble so sexy? To this day I'll take a scratchy face over a smoothly shaven one.

:rolleyes: I'm being silly, but he was a big deal in those days.

Too bad about your Cadillac, Chester. I suppose there was a Ferrari Testarossa next to it in your garage? ;)