What Is Your Favorite Non John Wayne

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,284 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: Some great choices I had not thought about.

Also, did you know that My Darling Clementine is now on DVD? I saw it for sale at Best Buy a few days ago.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Ringo,

Yes I know about the DVD My Darling Clemetine. It is great and I have it in my collection. The extras are really good. You can go to Topic, and read about our discussion about this movie.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• :cowboy: Hi Hondo, I agree with what was said in the link you provided. It's simply a great film. I will be buying a copy with in a few months. I would this month but I already placed a $40.00 for some dvds.

Hogan's Heroes 1st season for appx $27.00 and Titanic (1953) for $9.99. Possibly in April since i;m also buying COMBAT Season 2 Mission 1 (mainly because Richard Basehart is in two of the episodes.

• TRK,sorry..but i would like to make this clear.-

Hogans Heros Season one will be coming out....in April? or has it already been realeased...

Also,Is there Season one of Combat out already?...and when will season two be relased...

These are must buys for me.

Be great if you could help me out....

-IHW

• Hi IHW, I think Hogan's Heroes is coming out in Mid March. I'll check DDDVD.com for sure though. As far as I know, it's not yet released.

Yep, the first three seasons of COMBAT has been released. I already have the complete first season and will be starting on getting the first half of the 2nd season within a month. In about 6 weeks I should have all of season 2. All 5 seasons of COMBAT should be out by November but I think at the rate its coming out that they will all be out by Summer. Of the first season of COMBAT, i've only seen maybe 2-3 episodes of 32 episodes, to not be a 10 out of 10. Of those three, i'd give a 7-8 on a scale of 10--10 being the best of course.

Shecky Green who plays Private Braddock in the first several episodes of season one really steal the show and is great. He particurly shines in the episode called: Prisoner which also had Keenan Wynn in it as a Colonel.

• well thats great news to hear about Combat,i havent seen it around..but then again i havent been to the mall in ages.I will likely get in this weekend and will have to pick up the first season,as well as Ladder 49,which came out a few days ago....im not sure if any of you have heard of it...but i highly recomend it.

-IHW

• Saw Ladder 49 at the theater, and just purchased it yesterday. It is a great movie and a tear jerker. I recommend it everyone. Travolta and Phoenix are great together. It's not a western. -_-

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• No,no not a western but still a great movie.....the ending took me,and all of my friends that saw it with me totally by suprise.

-IHW

• This just came to me,but i wanted to mention another movie that had a great effect on me....which was The Electric Horseman, Starring Robert Redford.

Basically,this is the "jist" of it....

Sonny Steele used to be a rodeo star, but his next appearance is to be on a Las Vegas stage, wearing a suit covered in lights, advertising a breakfast cereal. When he finds out they are going drug the horse in case its too frisky, he rides off into the desert...

-IHW

• Not a western in the traditional sense, but I have really come to appreciate the Kirk Douglas movie Lonely Are the Brave. I'm always a sucker for any movie that features someone bravely and nobly fighting for a way of life that is fast fading. The trauma of change is a big deal to me and I am always interested in movies or books that address the issue.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• "The Gunfight At The OK Corral" remains one of my favorites. Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas did a fine job in this picture and the ballad running through the movie with music by Dimitri Tiomkin and sung by Frankie Laine added a poignancy that would have been missing otherwise.

Cheers - Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Call me oddball - one of my favorite non-JW westerns is Clint Eastwood's "High Plains Drifter." It is so offbeat, it is mesmerizing. More of an allegory than a straightforward shoot-em-up (though it is that too!). Little touches, such as the sound of the saddle against Eastwood's horse at the beginning as he rides into the town, the location for the story - an area desolate, yet intriguing, the idea of painting the town red, literally and just the general feel of the movie, keep the viewer attentive.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I have two favorite non-Wayne Westerns (well, actually, more than two since Westerns per se are my favorite genre of all. But to keep the post to a manageable size, I'll limit it to two. :D ) My two favorite non-JW Westerns are "Monte Walsh" with Lee Marvin and "The Stalking Moon" with Gregory Peck.

I especially like "Monte Walsh" because of the mixture of humor and pathos.
    I thought the only jarring note in the plot was where the promoter tried to talk Monte into joining his Wild West show. That just didn't fit smoothly into the rest of the film.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Carl,

I went through this topic and saw that you were going to purchase My Darling Clementine. I was wondering if you had the chance to get your copy and if you've been able to view it?

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hi everyone,
    I have always liked TOMBSTONE,
    Starring Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer,
    Although I also, agree with Jay, about
    GUNFIGHT AT O.K CORRAL,
    and also Fondas' MY DARLING CLEMENTINE,
    TOMBSTONE remains, my non Duke film,
    but then what about High Plains,Josey Wales
    etc, etc , etc ........

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I LIKED a " Man Called Nobody" because a younger character was protecting the reputation of an older character that he respected. I have tried to do the same for the acting of John Wayne. People who take issue with some aspect of his politics will invariably denounce his acting. I point out that he was the number box office draw for longer then any other and all those fans must have seen something they liked. For me a good western portrays a person rising up to the challenge of life. I think we would all agree that its not hard to make mistakes but very hard to consistently work on being decent understanding and strong in your convictions. Some might say that society has left these values behind but I don't agree, I think theres more people trying to do the right thing then otherwise and that the will of the majority will prevail. A western that captures this is more then entertainment
    its something that reinforces whats right in this world. so long Kilo 6
    Hello all this edit (Sept 18th is required as I named the movie wrong) Subsequent research has shown the title is ' My Name is Nobody '. This 1974 film starring Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda IMO is a classic. Perhaps I should place it in the fav non JW western film post. If I remove this one from here I might be tempted to add American Graphiti, Kings of the sun, The War between the Men and the woman ( you have to be in the right mood for that one), Cannery Row, Milagro Beanfield War, and Paint your Wagon ( set in the west but perhaps not so much a western as a Northern). I like Fried green Tomatoes because IMO Mary Stuart Masterson Rocks and also because the actor who plays the sherif Bubba Is Gary Basseraba and we used to spend some time together when youth was a current phenomena.
    So you asked for a fav not a list well you don't always get what you want eh but as the song goes if you try real hard sometimes you get what you need Kilo

Hello Yet again here is my second edit. When I was going through my posts I looked at the title bar and it doesn't show the full title, it cuts off , western at the end. In a tired state of mind that was ongoing at the time, I thought--great I have posted in the wrong topic, thus the most of the last edit is more then a little confusing. I'm going to leave it as is above. And lastly in a further flagrant abuse of the question favorite as opposed to favorites, I must add Gallipoli and The Light Horsemen.

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Hondo, yep, I have My Darling Clementine. I have watched it twice already, like it very much and even posted a topic on it. I always liked the film and the way it went but I like it better with the additional footage. Same thing goes for the reconstructed version of The Big Red One. :)

Welcome to the Club Kilo.

I don't really look at Westerns for one thing or the other, I just enjoy the vast majority of Westerns. As I get older though, I am taking a different view on when I watch Westerns. I enjoy them more when I watch them because of who is in them and not because of the story. Also, I like watching out for the character actors as well which makes it more interesting for me.

Same thing goes for the reconstructed version of The Big Red One.

Hey Ringo, I have the old version of The Big Red One, and I have almost purchased the new version. What about the new version makes it so much better?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne