What Is Your Favorite Non John Wayne

There are 110 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 28,293 times. The latest Post () was by Senta.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by Colorado Bob@Aug 21 2005, 02:31 AM
    No offense, but I never thought Errol Flynn should have made westerns. Not that they weren't good, they were. But I've always liked him better in his swashbuckler films. I think his Robin Hood is the definitive Robin Hood, but I also like him in Against All Flags, and Captain Blood - two of my favorite Flynn films.
    Colorado Bob

[snapback]20646[/snapback]

Hi,
    He himself thought the same way. But he done some good westerns. Here all they are
    Dodge City
    Santa Fe trail
    They died with their boots on
    San Antonio
    Virginia City
    Silver River
    Montana
    Rocky Mountain

• Greetings Colorado, Senta, Ethan.

Hi Colorado, no offenses taken at all. Personally I thought he made a much better Buccaneer as well. Also I think his best role was as Robin Hood.

Hi Keith, well my schedule is somewhat different these days but I still try to get on daily if possible. I didn't know this was brought up before (I still don't know how to use that feature to bring up past subjects) :headbonk: [[Keith, yes, I got the 'gist' of your post]] :D

Hi Senta, I have not yet seen Uncertain Glory. Can you please tell me what it was about? Walsh, Lewis Milestone and John Ford too are my favorite Directors. I would like very much to see some wartime Russian war movies. I bet many are fantastic. I wonder if there is one made about the Battleship Potempkin (SP?) I also wonder if they made any about the capture of the Fortress City of Kolburg? I remember reading somewhere that many German prisoners were used in Russian movies. I never heard of Silver City or Montana as being movies he made. Guess i'll have to do some research. :cowboy:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    Well,I know we don't all take IMDB as the gospel,
    but they list SILVER CITY, and MONTANA
    and they are obviously westerns!
    However, neither are part of my collection,
    and I must admit to not seeing either of them!!
    You don't think therefore, that they
    were only released in Russia??(Ha Ha)
    Vera, I'm only joking!!

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 23 2005, 12:53 AM
    Greetings Colorado, Senta, Ethan.

Hi Senta, I have not yet seen Uncertain Glory. Can you please tell me what it was about? Walsh, Lewis Milestone and John Ford too are my favorite Directors. I would like very much to see some wartime Russian war movies. I bet many are fantastic. I wonder if there is one made about the Battleship Potempkin (SP?) I also wonder if they made any about the capture of the Fortress City of Kolburg? I remember reading somewhere that many German prisoners were used in Russian movies. I never heard of Silver City or Montana as being movies he made. Guess i'll have to do some research. :cowboy:

[snapback]20717[/snapback]

Hi Ringo,
    Uncertain Glory is a war time movie, the story takes place at France, it is about escaped from guillotine fututive (Flynn plays him). He escaped during the air raid at Paris. He was soon caught by detective (P.Lucas), but during their returning trip the train stopped in a small town were bridge was blown up by saboteurs. Germans take one hundred french hostages and promise to kill them, if saboteurs will not be found. The Flynn hero ask detective if he can say that he is this sabotuer (For the first he wanted to thrick detective, but at the end of the film he surrender as a sabotuer. I'm afraid that my english is too poor to tell the whole story well. And sometimes when you try to tell the plot shortly it seems not interesting. It is only my fault in this case.
    Uncertain Glory was directed by Walsh. Silver City too (but these films was realised only on VHS. Montana too, it is more late movie and in color.
    Of course they are not available in Russia, I got them from e-bay.
    About Potiomkin there is very famous old film.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Keith,
    they are not his best but interesting to see,
    Regards,
    Vera

• Senta, thank you for your excellent information. I will look forward to watching those two movies next time thay are played. IF im not mistaken, I think the title for that battleship film is Battleship Potemkin, or something like that. I'll try doing a search for info about it when time permits.

Take care--C.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 25 2005, 12:31 AM
    Senta, thank you for your excellent information. I will look forward to watching those two movies next time thay are played. IF im not mistaken, I think the title for that battleship film is Battleship Potemkin, or something like that. I'll try doing a search for info about it when time permits.

Take care--C.

[snapback]20809[/snapback]

I think it is Battelship Potemkin, the director is Eisenshtein

• Hello All
    Ditto on Flyn as a good Robin Hood. Mr Flyn was in Vancouver BC when he died. The man was over 70 and keeping company with teenagers, so the storey goes. That would be enough to kill even a swashbuckler. Kilo--- Sept 15 update to this post. I had his age wrong Mr Flynn was 50 when he passed on. Thanks for the right stats Ringo & Ethan Edwards. As for a controversial life I couldn't say, the only reason I heard about his death was that a chap who was at the party (so he says) was talking about it. I don't know what the bios say but as you are a fan Ringo I will relate what he said. This is not going to be verbatim. Mr Flynn was-- in pain or uncomfortable--(can't remember) and went to a doctor who was --a friend of a friend? The doctor called some people and Mr Flynn found himself in a social event at the doctors house. Mr F did not want this to happen he wanted to rest but went along with it, I think the rest is forgotten but the suggestion was that the doctor instead of helping contributed to his death by pressuring Mr F to socialize. As I said I don't know if there is any truth to this, I did not know the source personally. If it is true it's a real shame.

I might be tempted to add American Graphiti, Kings of the sun, The War between the Men and the woman ( you have to be in the right mood for that one), Cannery Row, Milagro Beanfield War, and Paint your Wagon ( set in the west but perhaps not so much a western as a Northern). I like Fried green Tomatoes because Mary Stuart Masterson Rocks and also because the actor who plays the sherif Bubba Is Gary Basseraba and we used to spend some time together about 30 plus years ago So you asked for a fav, not a list, well you don't always get what you want eh but as the song goes if you try real hard sometimes you get what you need
    Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Kilo, whoever told that story got an important fact wrong. Flynn was only 50 yrs old (or in his early 50's) when he passed away.

• Thank you Keith. Also, sometimes i'm a stickler for small details. :) Besides that, even with such a controversial life as he had, he is still one of my all-time favorite actors. Also, within the next few weeks I will be getting in the Errol Flynn signature collection which has They Died With Their Boots On, The Sea Hawk, Dodge City, Captain Blood and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and an additional documentary disc as well. This goes for $41.84; if interested at deepdiscountdvd.com. I also found it at Best Buy but I think it was over $50.00 bucks fo them. :( I can hardly wait for this set to arrive :D

Oh and if you feel the need, go to Google and type in GMIC for the Gentlemans Militaria Interest Club, look for the person with the username of: Ringo Kid ((Me)) :D which has an avatar of none other than Errol Flynn as Robin Hood.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 30 2005, 02:16 AM
    Thank you Keith. Also, sometimes i'm a stickler for small details. :) Besides that, even with such a controversial life as he had, he is still one of my all-time favorite actors. Also, within the next few weeks I will be getting in the Errol Flynn signature collection which has They Died With Their Boots On, The Sea Hawk, Dodge City, Captain Blood and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and an additional documentary disc as well. This goes for $41.84; if interested at deepdiscountdvd.com. I also found it at Best Buy but I think it was over $50.00 bucks fo them. :( I can hardly wait for this set to arrive :D

Oh and if you feel the need, go to Google and type in GMIC for the Gentlemans Militaria Interest Club, look for the person with the username of: Ringo Kid ((Me)) :D which has an avatar of none other than Errol Flynn as Robin Hood.

[snapback]21010[/snapback]

Hi Ringo,
    What can controversial life do with the devotion to the actor. I can't blame Flynn for nothing and haven't right to do that. His life was as facshinating as his films. Haven't you read his autobiography "MY wicked, wicked ways". It's wonderful!
    I haven't ordered yet his Signature Collection, because I have all these films on VHS and wanted first to order something new for me. Now I received two new JW movies - Rio Grande and She wore a yellow ribbon, saw them at yesterday night and fell really happy.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Vera, I completely agree with you. Flynn was as controversial as many of his movies were. Personally, I do not feel I need to know what a movie star does in private as it is not any of my business. I would rather just enjoy watching any movie they act in.

I have read My Wicked, Wicked Ways, many years ago. I know he was a "party animal" but that is not my concern. I just simply like watching him on TV or the big screen ;-))

I have Rio Grande on DvD but do not have She Wore A Yellow Ribbon on DvD yet. I cannot get tired of watching Rio Grande and I love the music in it as well.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Aug 31 2005, 10:50 PM
    I cannot get tired of watching Rio Grande and I love the music in it as well.

[snapback]21063[/snapback]

It is exactly like I feel, I can't stop watching Rio Grande and music in it is wonderful. And Duke did a fine job as an actor there, and in pair with Maureen O'Hara it is some magic.
    By the way what is the music at the end of the film, it sounds quite familiar to me but I'm not sure. There is something important about this music in the film.
    Living in Russia I can't understand all historic details. But try to know more (now I'm reading a book about Civil War in USA).
    Regards,
    Vera

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Sep 3 2005, 08:34 PM
    Hi Vera, just ask me and I'll try to help you out with our military history. :D

[snapback]21147[/snapback]

Hi Ringo, I shall, thank you.
    Regards,
    Vera

Originally posted by Senta@Sep 5 2005, 02:43 PM
    Hi Ringo, I shall, thank you.
    Regards,
    Vera

[snapback]21177[/snapback]

Vera,
    One of the best and most thoroughly-documented histories of the U.S. Civil War (or, as we Texas boys call it, the War of Northern Aggression ;) ) is "Lee's Lieutenants" a 3-volume work by Douglas Southall Freeman. It's from a Southern perspective, though, as Freeman was a Southerner.

I should have also said that it's long out of print and can be fairly expensive when you find it. I paid about sixty dollars for my 3-volume set.
    Jim

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim,
    Thank you for information. This points of view are always interest me. Now I'm reading the book of russian author about Civil War and it is also written from the Southern perspective.
    As I see Duke portrayed only Northern heros. Was it a principe or by chance?
    Regards,
    Vera