Classic TV Westerns- Discussion (Archive)

There are 113 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 123,125 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ooops! Just realized that a search might find Brisco & WWW fans and there was Phantomstranger listing them as # 1 and 2 on his all time favorite list. We love 'em, too!

Very Best,
    OT Xtras[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT]

• One of my favorite TV western has to be The Big Valley. Maybe because of the great story line and the characters in the show. I liked Richard Long, and Barbara Stanwyck. They were great, and it was also good to see Lee Majors and Linda Evans. And there is Peter Bereck. Just a great cast.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• My favorite was "Maverick". (That's where I got my screen name from, and not from the over use of the word this past election... I almost changed it because of that!)

James Garner is one my favorite actors, and he was great in that show. I used to watch reruns of it when I was a kid. I used to like how one show would be a straight western, the next show would be a western parody, and the next show might be a murder mystery and have nothing to do with the old west at all. We need this one on DVD!

• I was in my local Sams Club today and they had a huge Wagon Train DVD set. I believe it was all of the 90 minute color episodes and some of the best of earlier episodes. I think it was about 12-14 discs. They also had the complete series sets of both Laramie and The Guns Of Will Sonnett.

• I was in my local Sams Club today and they had a huge Wagon Train DVD set. I believe it was all of the 90 minute color episodes and some of the best of earlier episodes. I think it was about 12-14 discs. They also had the complete series sets of both Laramie and The Guns Of Will Sonnett.

It gets very good reviews for quality of the transfer from folks who have bought it on Amazon.

"Wagon Train" was one of my favorites.

De gustibus non est disputandum

Jim.
    Did you by chance happen to notice what Sam's price was for this set?

• One of my favorite TV western has to be The Big Valley. Maybe because of the great story line and the characters in the show. I liked Richard Long, and Barbara Stanwyck. They were great, and it was also good to see Lee Majors and Linda Evans. And there is Peter Bereck. Just a great cast.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Audra also added to the 'view-ability!' :wink_smile:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• I'm sure someone has already listed this one, but Gunsmoke is my all-time favorite! 20+ years of a great cast & great chemistry.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Monseur, you are a LuLu!" (The Comancheros)

• I want to amend my statement from a week or so back. I said that Sams Club had the complete Laramie series for $29.99. I was wrong, it's the 3rd season. It's 28 episodes and it's the first season that was shown in color. I was there again today and took a closer look. Oh, and the Wagon Train set, like I said is all of the color episodes and is 16 discs for about $50. It also inlcudes a bunch of episodes in b&w that are considered some of the best ones. Just wanted to clarify.

• the Wagon Train set, like I said is all of the color episodes and is 16 discs for about $50. It also inlcudes a bunch of episodes in b&w that are considered some of the best ones.

I bought it from Amazon for $47.99 total.

This morning I watched a couple of the episodes, including one in which my favorite president (at least favorite during my lifetime) was a guest star. Ronald Reagan played in "The Fort Pierce Story" from the 1963 season of "Wagon Train".

The transfer of the two episodes I watched was very good. Clear picture and sound. However, can't say much for the stories themselves.

• I bought it from Amazon for $47.99 total.

This morning I watched a couple of the episodes, including one in which my favorite president (at least favorite during my lifetime) was a guest star. Ronald Reagan played in "The Fort Pierce Story" from the 1963 season of "Wagon Train".

The transfer of the two episodes I watched was very good. Clear picture and sound. However, can't say much for the stories themselves.

This afternoon I began watching this episode but the beginning was so unbelievable I stopped watching it.

The Indian called Horse strolls into the campsite of Major Adam's wagon train without so much as a by-your-leave and asked for the Major's help in treating an ailing old squaw. We all know that would never have happened in real life. The minute an Indian was sighted, everyone in the camp would have been white with fear and shooting at the poor redskin. :teeth_smile:

• I don't know what it is.

When I was younger, back in the Fifties, and the series "Wagon Train" began, I became one of its' most loyal watchers, hardly ever missing an episode. I thought it was wonderful, almost as good as "Gunsmoke" and "Bonanza" .

But nowadays, I watch some of these episodes and think to myself, "my gosh, such a hokey story". And they really are - the plots are very thin and stereotypical B-grade Western material.

I've even thought the same thing of some of the "Bonanza" episodes I've watched since they became available on disc. And again, I used to think that series was the best thing since sliced bread.

Don't know if it's all the cynicism I've accumulated in the past 50 years or what but the old Western TV episodes I've watched over the past few years just don't turn me on like they used to.

I have to admit that so far, I still very much enjoy "Gunsmoke" episodes I've watched. Just wish they would issue more complete seasons of that show, instead of trying to squeeze more money out of the viewing public by breaking the seasons into "volumes".

• I had the same experience with The Dukes Of Hazards stumpy when i was a kid I thought it was the neatest thing ever, I watch it now and i wonder why i ever watched it that much. Gunsmoke is still good though even as a adult. Bonanza never has been my favorite the cartwrights were just to nice of guys for me :teeth_smile:. Ive seen a few of the Wagon Train episodes and I thought they were pretty good, but i havent seen enough to know much about it.

• This afternoon I began watching this episode but the beginning was so unbelievable I stopped watching it.

The Indian called Horse strolls into the campsite of Major Adam's wagon train without so much as a by-your-leave and asked for the Major's help in treating an ailing old squaw. We all know that would never have happened in real life. The minute an Indian was sighted, everyone in the camp would have been white with fear and shooting at the poor redskin. :teeth_smile:

Well, I decided to finish watching this episode and decided it wasn't such a bad story after all. Turned out that the"Indian" riding into camp was actually a white man who, after "proving" himself, had been adopted into the Crow tribe and had lived with them for several years. He had even married one of their women and they had conceived a child who, however, was born dead. Not only that but his Indian wife soon passed away also. Consumed with grief, he decides to return to the whites. On the way, he decides to go by the Indian burial place and bid his wife goodbye again. While there, the old squaw who has been his adoptive Indian mother crawls up. She's in a bad way so he decides to seek help from the wagon train. I won't tell the rest, just in case others buy this set. Don't want to spoil it for 'em.

I've come to the conclusion that the earlier, black-and-white episodes with Ward Bond are better than the color episodes with whats-his-face.

• Well, I decided to finish watching this episode and decided it wasn't such a bad story after all. Turned out that the"Indian" riding into camp was actually a white man who, after "proving" himself, had been adopted into the Crow tribe and had lived with them for several years. He had even married one of their women and they had conceived a child who, however, was born dead. Not only that but his Indian wife soon passed away also. Consumed with grief, he decides to return to the whites. On the way, he decides to go by the Indian burial place and bid his wife goodbye again. While there, the old squaw who has been his adoptive Indian mother crawls up. She's in a bad way so he decides to seek help from the wagon train. I won't tell the rest, just in case others buy this set. Don't want to spoil it for 'em.

I've come to the conclusion that the earlier, black-and-white episodes with Ward Bond are better than the color episodes with whats-his-face.

You know Stumpy, that sounds like the movies A Man Called Horse and Return Of A Man Called Horse starring the late Richard Harris. Of course, the Wagon Train story was probably done before them. In fact, maybe someone saw the WT show and decided the storyline would make a great movie.

While I'm at it. I was on Amazon and noticed the old Wyatte Earp series is now out on dvd. I also noticed that others are, too. They have shows like The Restless Gun, The Texan, Riverboat, The Deputy, The Tall Man and, Cimmaron City. IN the case of The Restless Gun and The Texan, those shows only ran for two years and you can get both season in one set, about 70 episodes.

Edited once, last by WaynamoJim: add more text ().

• Got some news regarding some old tv westerns from my issue of True West yesterday. This coming year, Encore Westerns will be broadcasting Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel and, Rawhide. They also intend to bring back Wagon Train, The Virginian, Laredo and, Lawman.