How About A Definative Listing For All

There are 61 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 20,385 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• :cowboy: Thank you Stumpy. I just took a look and its a nice list but, do you have one from IMDB on the war TV series only like the Western TV series link?

I will be accessing this link though to help me out on soemthing else i'm working on for a militaria collecting site.

Thank you and I owe you--best regards--TRK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• This page lists a lot of TV series concerning war.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• :cowboy: Hello Stumpy and thank you for this great link as well. I was looking through the episodes on a few series and was amazed at some of the big stars who were in some of those episodes. Anyway, thanks again because this greatly helps me out on something I am working on on another forum.

Best regards-TRK.

• Bump.

Anyone interested in seeing this worked on? If so, let me know because I do think this site should have something like this even if I am duplicating others efforts. :):)

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Mar 18 2006, 07:50 PM
    Bump.

Anyone interested in seeing this worked on? If so, let me know because I do think this site should have something like this even if I am duplicating others efforts. :):)

[snapback]29578[/snapback]

Howdy Ringo,
    Don't know about anyone else, but I sure would.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Thank you Colorado, those encouraging words make me feel better. :-)) I have some info I could update this thing with.

One of the main resaons i'd like to see such a list here is it is a pain in the neck to sift through all the info over at the IMDB. Another is that I have such a hard time finding where their info is on their site.

Many thanks and best regards -- Carl.

• Ringo,

While your enthusiasm is certainly to be admired, I feel that a lot of what you want to do has already been done on other sites, which are designed to be inclusive of all westerns. To do that here on a web site specifically dedicated to a particular movie star, aka John Wayne :D , I think might detract from our focus. If we started doing it for Westerns, why not war movies? Or why not romantic movies? The list is almost endless. I think that the Pals in the Saddle forum is a good idea, but that too can be taken off to infinity. My own personal feeling is that currently this message board is doing a pretty darn good job of pursuing our primary mission, keeping the memory of John Wayne alive and well. Again, this is just my own personal opinion.

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester, I definately hear ya on that. All I wanted was something that was easy to find on this site and did not include all the non-western stuff that one has to wade through when looking up something about that actor. I do realize its been done a number of times but, I don't want to be known as one who does not listen to others. Just seems to be a waste of info if not used. One thing I do want known is that I lay claim to Zero percent of the info listed -- not that im saying anyone is accusing me of anything wrong. ;)

• Hi Carl and Chester.

I personally don't go around other sites looking
    for information on Duke, or other Actors for that
    matter. but I did enjoy reading your list Carl,
    although we got a lot of TV westerns in the early
    sixties on this side of the pond, it's only by reading
    the many posts on this message board that I
    remember all those wonderful shows and the people
    who were in them. Not just the stars but other actors,
    the faces you know but can never put a name to. you
    see them turning up in movies and TV shows. Your list
    and the hard work you put into it helps those of us who
    like to know these things but don't want to go looking
    all over the internet.

Chester, I see your point about this being a site dedicated
    to John Wayne, and I also see you point about not wanting
    to detract from that. But I think we should add to the
    enjoyment of our wonderful JWMB. As you say, The Pals of
    The Saddles has a lot of information and Keith has spent a lot
    of time and hard work putting it together. But Carl's listings
    put an other view on the history of the big and small screen cowboy.

Best regards

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Emmanuel, thank you for the nice words. That made all work done more than worthwhile. I still don't know but, since I do have some other stuff that can be added, I might as well do so. I guess I will get busy on doing so starting by next week.

Many thanks--C.

• Hi Carl

I was looking it your list today, I didn't
    know that Ty hardin had started as
    BRONCO LANE in CHEYENNE with
    Clint Walker before getting his own show.
    They were two great cowboys.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Hi Emmanuel, I have to admit that I have never seen even one episode from many of these fine TV western series. I do recall that years ago when I was staying at my Grandmothers home in Houston, that they had a channel that did play many older western series. It was there that I saw a few episodes of both series mentioned as well as saw Winchester '73 w/ James Stewart; for the first time. I too am a fan of both Ty Hardin and Clint Walker.

I can't remember what book I saw some info in but, this book did describe much more about those Western TV shows than I ever knew. If I can get time to go to Barnes & Nobles Bookstore and see if they still have copy of this book; i'll let you know what it's title is and who wrote it. I do remember that this book had many many photo's in it.

Take care -- C. :)

• Hi Carl

That would be great, I would love to get
    my hands on a copy. As I said earlier ,we
    got those shows in the early sixties, but apart
    from CHEYENNE and THE DIRTY DOZEN, I
    don't remember Clint Walker acting in anything.
    The only thing I remember Ty Hardin in is BRONCO.
    I'm sure they both had better and longer careers
    than that. So I look forward to getting my hands
    on that book.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel.

• Hi Emmanuel, i'll be "hanging out" at Barnes & Nobles this weekend and I will see if they still have the book - or info on it and will let you know. I too don't remember much about Clint Walker's career but, he was good in: "None But The Brave."

Ty Hardin on the other hand, was in many movies like: PT-109, Merrill's marauders and Battle of the Bulge--which I thought he did an excellent job in all of them--specially Merrill's Marauders.

• Hi Carl.

I remember the movie PT-109, wasn't that
    about President Kennedy in WW2? and also
    Merrill's Marauders, didn't Jeff Chandler star
    in that? But I don't remember Ty Hardin being
    in them, its been a long time since I've seen them.

I do remember None But The Brave, was that not
    Frank Sinatra and Steve Mc Queen? There are bells
    ringing in my head about a movie Frank Sinatra and
    Clint walker made. It was something about US Marines
    on an Island and they come across some Japanese
    soldiers? I may be wrong, I'm sure you or someone will
    put me right. :lol:

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Hi Emmanuel

You are correct. PT 109 was about Lt.Jg, John F. Kennedy in WWII. Cliff Robertson played Kennedy and Ty Hardin played his exec officer Lt Thom. This movie was about his famous encounter with a Japanese Destroyer in which his PT boat was cut in half by the destroyer. They then swam to a small island in which they used to rest whils at night someone was sent out to try to see if they could signal some American ship to come get them. After a few days of nothing good happening, a small boat with two natives in it discovered them and this was when Kennedy took a coconut to write the famous message to come pick them up. Lucky for Kennedy, the natives were friendly natives, and who also worked for an Austrailian Coastwatcher by the name of Evans. No relation to me though. :agent:

Jeff Chandler played the part of Brigadier General Frank D. Merrill in that movie and Ty Hardin played 2nd Lt. Lee Stockton. Also, Claude Akins (Sgt. Kolowicz) did a great acting job in this movie. peter Brown played a character named: Bullseye. John Hoyt played: General Joseph Stillwell.

none But The Brave did have Frank Sinatra but did not have Steve McQueen. I think the movie your thinking about that had Sinatra and McQueen in was: Never So Few. You are correct about Clint Walker and Frank Sinatra both being in None But The Brave--and to what the movie was about. this movie also had Brad Dexter in it who was in a few Sinatra movies such as: Von Ryan's Express. I think None But The Brave also had Tommy Sands in it as that obnoxious greenhorn USMC 2nd Lt.

Hope this helps ya. :D

• Hi Carl

I've said it before,If you don't know
    something. Someone here will always
    put you right. Thanks for that my friend.
    It has been a long time since I've seen
    either of those two movies.

Brad Dexter, was he a friend of Frank Sinatra?
    I remember him in The Magnificent Seven. I
    Think I remember something about him helping
    Sinatra one time, and Frank payed him back by
    getting him into the movies. Well I'm sure I'll get
    told the right way of it here, SOON. :lol: ;)

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• I'm searching back into my sieve of a memory for this - Brad Dexter was a friend of Sinatra's and Sinatra got him into several of the movies he did. However, at some point, the two had a falling out over something having to do with a movie they were in together in the late 60's, but beyond that, I couldn't give any details.
    Cheers - Jay
    :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay

Thank you for that, this is what I like about
    this site, someone will always try to give you
    the right answer to any questions you have.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Quite welcome my friend. I think Brad Dexter was indeed a good friend of Frank Sinatra. One movie I best remember him in (w/ Frank) is: Von Ryan's Express-- tho-- I have seen him in other movies as well. Brad Dexter was the American Sergeant in VRE. He get's killed by grenade fire towards the very end of the movie.