Yul Brynner Film

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,126 times. The latest Post () was by kilo 6.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Did anyone else ever see this movie? I saw it in the theater right after it was released and have since seen it on television once or twice but it's been at least 30 years. It's like its fallen off the face of the earth. I know the critics never rated it very highly but I liked it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy wasnt kings of the sun not the movie with at the end an attack of the aztecs on the temple?
    It it is I have seen it, pretty good movie.

cya jwfan

Originally posted by JWfan@Jan 23 2005, 07:44 AM
    Stumpy wasnt kings of the sun not the movie with at the end an attack of the aztecs on the temple?

Well, like I said, it's been a long time since I've seen it so I don't remember all the details but I believe you're right; I think the Aztecs did attack a temple near the end of the movie.

The thing I remember most about the movie is the fluid walk of Brynner - he moved like a cat. Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good movie and don't understand why it's disappeared from the film world - no videos, never on TV, nothing.

• Hi Stumpy

I think Yul Brynner perfected his walk on stage and later on film in the King and I, as you say it like a cat, and like a cat it shows a mixture of grace and arrogance just right for a King of Siam. Especially when you are on stage for years, if you look at the Magnificent Seven it similar.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello all
    Hi Stumpy When it first came out in 1963 I was 5 years old The storey has George Chakaris lead his Mayan people out of Mexico to resettle in the Yucatan but they are eventually followed by his nemesis Leo Gorden. I remember the warriors blowing a warning to the departing group on conch shells when Gordons group are chasing them out of their home land. There is a rearguard action that buys time for the group to leave ( reminds me of the sacrifice at the alamo). Before Gordons arrival the Mayans are attacked By Black Eagle ( Yul Brynner ) leader of a local tribe.Eventually Brynner unites with Chakiris to fight Gordon. I saw Yul Brynner perform in The King and I, In Vancouver (BC). It was one of his last performances as he already had cancer and soon after that show he had to stop working. He was extraordinary and I think it was one of the best live theatre performances I have ever seen. I think I read that his Vancouver show was a little over the 2000th time he had done that play. You might think someone would be a little bored of it by then. Not so his offering was so alive you forgot you were in a building watching actors. Curtains came as a shock as you reluctantly let go of the feeling of being there. I would reccomend Kings of the Sun to any JW fan. There is, in my opinion a parallel to the principals and values evident in many JW movies. Fighting for what others will not let you have in Peace, for the liberty that we all deserve. Like John Stuart Mill said we are entitled to as much liberty as we can enjoy without interfering with someone else doing the same or by negligence interfere with anothers right to do so. Honor, a word you don't hear so often these days but perhaps one of the greatest character strengths of all. Well time to climb down off the soapbox. Kilo

Greetings from North of the 49th

Originally posted by kilo 6@Sep 10 2005, 02:30 AM
    Hello all
    Hi Stumpy I was just enjoying reading a few older posts before turning in when I read this title. I liked this movie a lot. When it first came out in 1963 I was 5 years old and I was choked up at the ending. I tried to see if I could buy a copy of it years ago but didn't find a source. Thanks to the very recent advice from Mrs C I have learned how to shop on E Bay and after getting a copy of I married a Woman the very next thing I did was search for this movie. There are four copies for sale on E Bay. Two of them are DVD brand new from a rerelease in japan in 2003. The movies have Japanese subtitles that can be dropped while viewing These DVDs are described as compatable with a region 2 DVD player or a multi region DVD player. I don't know if my dvd player will work with these versions.I am currently the highest bidder on a used VHS copy The movie has George Chakiris lead his Mayan people out of Mexico to resettle in the Yucatan but they are eventually followed by his nemesis Leo Gorden. I remember the warriors blowing a warning to the departing group on conch shells when Gordons group are chasing them out of their home land. There is a rearguard action that buys time for the group to leave ( reminds me of the sacrifice at the alamo). Before Gordons arrival the Mayans are attacked By Black Eagle ( Yul Brynner ) leader of a local tribe.Eventually Brynner unites with Chakiris to fight Gordon.I have wanted to show this movie to our kids for a long time and hopefully I will get the chance. There is 3 days left in the bidding period and ten bids so far, and I don't want to spend much more then I have already bid so we will see what happens. I saw Yul Brynner perform in The King and I, In Vancouver (BC). It was one of his last performances as he already had cancer and soon after that show he had to stop working. He was extraordinary and I think it was one of the best live theatre performances I have ever seen. I think I read that his Vancouver show was a little over the 2000th time he had done that play. You might think someone would be a little bored of it by then. Not so his offering was so alive you forgot you were in a building watching actors. Curtains came as a shock as you reluctantly let go of the feeling of being there. I was in my twenties then and I can still remember it. This has been long winded but let there be no doubt I would reccomend Kings of the Sun to any JW fan. There is, in my opinion a parallel to the principals and values evident in many JW movies. Fighting for what others will not let you have in Peace, for the liberty that we all deserve. Like John Stuart Mill said we are entitled to as much liberty as we can enjoy without interfering with someone else doing the same or by negligence interfere with anothers right to do so. Honor, a word you don't hear so often these days but perhaps one of the greatest character strengths of all. Well time to climb down off the soapbox. Kilo

[snapback]21327[/snapback]

I like what you said on that soapbox, Kilo.

Hope you win the auction. Now that you've suggested ebay as a possible source for the movie, maybe I'll try the same tactic. I've bought several of my favorite older movies on ebay when I couldn't find them anywhere else, including "The Naked Spur", "Monte Walsh" (1970), "Sitting Pretty", "We're No Angels" (1955), "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings" and a few others.

I've bought several of my favorite older movies on ebay when I couldn't find them anywhere else, including "The Naked Spur", "Monte Walsh" (1970), "Sitting Pretty", "We're No Angels" (1955), "W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings"

Not that this has much to do with Yul Brynner, but I just had to say, Ol' Stumpy, you have pretty good taste in films. "The Naked Spur" and "We're No Angels" are great films. "Monte Walsh" with Lee Marvin is pretty good, but I have to say that I liked the newer one with Tom Selleck better.
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

Originally posted by Colorado Bob@Sep 10 2005, 06:01 PM
    "Monte Walsh" with Lee Marvin is pretty good, but I have to say that I liked the newer one with Tom Selleck better.

To each his own, Bob. I like the Lee Marvin version better. It's one of my favorite westerns. Funny but sad too.

Originally posted by Stumpy@Sep 10 2005, 10:11 PM
    To each his own, Bob. I like the Lee Marvin version better. It's one of my favorite westerns. Funny but sad too.

[snapback]21335[/snapback]

You're right Stumpy. It is a good movie, but sad. Sad to see that that way of life kinda died out. There are still small pockets of folks that hang on to it, but it's mostly just a state of mind now. Too bad. I think the country would be a better place if a lot (not all, but a lot) of the Old West mentality was still subscribed to. :cowboy:
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• Hello All
    In the book John Wayne American page 525 it says that Duke himself persuaded Yul Brynner to take the role of Asher Gonen, the Israeli Commander in Cast A Giant Shadow. If Duke wanted him for this part it seems to me that he must have respected his acting ability. Yul was born in Vladisvostok Russia. His father was Swiss-Mongolian Engineer and his mother was the daughter of a Russian Doctor Like Duke Brynner was divorced 3 times and then he married his 4th partner. Branner's birth name was Taidje Khan. Over in the Oscar for Duke topic there is reference to the 1956 oscars. I can totally support the suggestion that Dukes Acting in the searchers was Oscar material and that politicks had a hand in him not getting it, that year and many other years. As for the other nominees being a joke, I'm going to take that as a representation of frustration at awards not going to Duke. For my dollar there is quality entertainment in the repertoire of both Brynner/Khan and Wayne/Morrison. Kilo.

Greetings from North of the 49th