There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 236,411 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

93 years ago the actor and stunt man Lloyd Ford was born. he played Hank in Idol of the Crowds

Speaking of that movie, I purchased a copy off from EBAY but it is barely watchable and I can hardly watch it. In fact, I have not watched the whole thing. It is, I believe, a dvd copy from a tape. Anybody know of a good quality version on DVD some place?

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Arthur -

Phillip Ahn probably achieved the most notoriety as Master Kan in the TV series "Kung Fu" back in the early 70s (has it been that long ago? -lol).

Cheers - Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

The start of a new month, and for Welsh readers St Davids Day.

On this day (1st March)

35 years ago The Sons of Katie Elder was shown for the first time on ABC TV to a 46% audience rating

43 years ago the actor Roscoe Ates died aged 70. he appeared as the Sheriff in 3 Texas Steers (1939)

91 years ago The actor Jckie Coogan was born he played Charlie Smith in Cahill US Marshal

68 years ago the actor De Witt Jennings died aged 58 he appeared as Captain Dunn in The Deceiver (1931) a film that will live in infamy among all Duke Fans, and as the Boat Captain in The Big Trail (1930).

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

A bit later than normal
    but:-

On this Day (2nd March)

40 years ago John Wayne appeared with Merv Griffin

and not to be outdone he

repeated it again on the same day 39 years ago

103 years ago the actor Edgar Buchannan was born he appeared in The Commancheros, Donovan's Reef and McLintock.

106 years ago the actor Wallace Clark was born he appeared as Sergeant Macglashin in the first Rebel

102 years ago The actor William Haade was born he appeared in Shepherd of the Hills, Pittsburgh and the Spoilers.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Mar 1 2005, 12:43 AM
    68 years ago the actor De Witt Jennings died aged 58 he appeared as Captain Dunn in The Deceiver (1931) a film that will live in infamy among all Duke Fans . . .

[snapback]14950[/snapback]

I must admit, you had me on this one - for the life of me, I couldn't remember anything about this film. So I went to IMDb, and remembered why you would make this remark . . . :P

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

Sorry I missed a couple of days on account of after being retired for eighteen months I have got a job which stops me now being a man of leisure and puts me back with the rest of human race in working for a living.

Anyway

On this day (March 6th)

26 years ago the actor Walter Abel died aged 71. He appeared as Colonel Fuller in Island in the Sky (1953)

One year ago the Actress Francis Dee died aged 97 she appeared in two John Wayne pictures Un-credited in the 1929 Words and Music, and as Sabre Cameron in the 1941 drama A Man Betrayed, a film which was also known by a variety of Titles including Wheel of Fortune.

106 years ago The actor J.C. Flippen was born, a veteran of over five decades in show business he appeared as Sergeant Clancy in The Flying Leathernecks, as Major General Black in Jet Pilot Huggins in How The West Was Won and Jack Lomax in Hellfighters. In 1964 as a result of an infection he had a leg amputated but continued working up to the time of his death.

39 years ago the Duch born musician composer, conductor Richard Hageman died aged 84. He worked with John Ford and as well as playing the piano in Three Godfathers. he composed the film scores for Stagecoach, Fort Apache, Three Godfathers and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• :cowboy: I always did like J.C. Flippen. The first film I saw him in was as the Yankee Sergeant on his way with new recruits to Fort Bascomb in the movie Winchester '73.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

On this day (7th March)

64 years ago A Man Betrayed Was Released in the United States

52 Years ago the director Edward Sedgwick died. He directed Maker of Men (1931)

39 years ago the actor Daniel Symonds died he was better known as Chief Yowlachi and appeared in Red River.

33 years ago the actor Dick Cutting diec aged 60, a supporting actor he played General Sherman in the 1959 picture The Horse Soldiers

85 years ago Rene Gagnon was born. A hero of Iwo Jima he played himself in the 1949 picture Sands of Iwo Jima, but after being feted found that the only emplyment he could get was as a janitor and in 1979 thoroughly disillusioned with his lot, he died of a heart attack.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• :angry: That is a darn shame that a hero like Rene Gagnon could not get a better job than as a Janitor. :angry: Someone like him definately should have been given a chance for a better existance. I hate hearing about vets getting shafted especially for putting their lives on the line for us back home.

:cowboy: Sorry I lost my temper a bit. It's just that the abusive treatment that too many vets get really sticks in my craw. RK.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi

On this day (8th March)

10 years ago the Director George Stevens died. He directed Giant and The Greatest Story Ever Told and although funny the untrue story of John Wayne's
    'awsome' experience.

31 years ago John Wayne appeared in The Wonderful West with Glenn Campbell

107 years ago The actress Louise Beavers was born.

114 years ago the actor Sam Jaffe was born, Best known for his part as the water boy in Gungha Din he also appeared in the Barbarian and the Geisha.

54 years ago Charles Colemans died aged 76

102 years ago the actor Pat J Flaherty was born.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• First time I responded on this topic. Really like it a lot, and miss it when you don't post for the day. Sorry you miss us today, hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

Originally posted by Hondo Duke Lane@Mar 9 2005, 08:15 PM
    First time I responded on this topic. Really like it a lot, and miss it when you don't post for the day. Sorry you miss us today, hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers B)

[snapback]15153[/snapback]

Ditto, ditto! Great job, Arthur! We concur with Hondo, and enjoy seeing all these little known facts appear, for the most part on a daily basis.

Just out of curiosity, is this information which you have already amassed in preparation for your book, or just how do you do it? :rolleyes:

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester Hondo

Thanks for the kind comments. It good to see that this subject has had over a thousand visits.

The Birthdays and deaths come from my records and form the basis of the book hopefully as do some of the comments which I hope are both informative and amusing.

Other information comes from various publications.

On this day (11th March)

37 Years ago John Wayne appeared on the Rowan and Martin Show one of nine occasions he made guest appearances on the show.

113 years ago The director Raoul Walsh was born known as the man who gave Duke his first big start in The Big Trail.

118 years ago the character actor and screenwriter Alan Garcia was born, long in the employ of Charlie Chaplain he spent ten years making pictures and appeared as Payne in The Deceiver.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Sometimes Arthur, a quiet day is a GREAT thing!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Viper

Yes your right.

On this day 13th March

33 years ago John Wayne appeared on the Rowan and Martin Laugh In.

26 years ago, a few months before his death, John Wayne appeared on the famous Barbara Walters Special, I have only seen snippets of the interview I wish I had seen it right through. In it he mentions what I think is one of the greatest quotes I have ever heard.

107 years ago the director Henry Hathaway was born. One of the pivotal directors in John Wayne's life, among many films he directed Wayne's first technicolour picture Shepherd of the Hills, and also True Grit the film with which Duke achieved his cherished Oscar.

17 years ago the actress Olive Carey died. Her maiden name was Olive Fuller Golden and she was the wife of Harry Carey and mother of Harry Carey jnr.
    She appeared in many of John Ford's pictures including The Searchers, The Wings of Eagles and for John Wayne, as Mrs Dennison in The Alamo.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Arthur;

My records show that on this day March 13, 1979 John Wayne gave his last Interview on the Barbara Walters Special and then just a few months later Duke Passed On! I remember this date because it was on my Birthday!!! If you want to see part of the Interview you can go to DUKES LAST INTERVIEW Chilibill :cowboy: