There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 236,495 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

On this day 23 April (St georges Day in the UK)

29 years ago the actor James Flavin died aged 69. A heavy built man he was best at playing Irish policemen, detectives and military policemen and was seen with John Wane in a number of pictures including Operation Pacific, Wings of Eagles and Trouble Along the Way.

114 years ago the actor Monte Montague was born, he appeared in two films with Duke including Shadow of the Eagle.

77 years ago Shirley Temple was born she appeared in Fort Apache.

101 years ago the actor Duncan Renaldo was born. Best known for his portrayal of the Cisco Kid he also featured in The Fighting Seabees.

15 years ago the actress Paulette Goddard died. A favourite of Cecil B deMille she appeared in Reap The Wild Wind.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Apr 23 2005, 12:31 AM
    On this day 23 April (St georges Day in the UK)

101 years ago the actor Duncan Renaldo was born. Best known for his portrayal of the Cisco Kid he also featured in The Fighting Seabees.

[snapback]16206[/snapback]

I used to love the Cisco Kid when I was a "kid" and never realized that Duncan Renaldo was in The Fighting Seabees. Hm-m-m-m, sounds like a good excuse to go watch that movie again . . . for the hundredth time - still love that bulldozer scene with the Japanese tank :D .

Chester :newyear:

• Hi

On this day April 24th

97 years ago the actress Maceline Day was born she appeared in The Telegraph Trail.

36 years ago the actor John Carroll died aged 72, he was in Flying Tigers

49 years ago Henry Stephenson died aged 85 he was in The Lady From Louisiana

16 years ago the actor Micky Finn died, he was in The Alamo his only film.

51 years ago The actor Peter Lawford married Patricia Kennedy thus giving Frank Sinatra and the Mafia an introduction to the Kennedy's and everything that happened in the coming years with John and Bobby.

And on that controversial note:-

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day April 26th

19 years ago the actor Broderick crawford died aged 75 he appeared mostly in cops and robbers pictures with the occasional western and war picture but appeared with John Wayne in Seven Sinners

24 years ago Jim Davis died aged 66 best known as Jock Ewing in Dallas he appeared in a number of films with John Wayne.

8 years ago the actor Joey Faye died aged 88

49 years ago Edward Arnold died he appeared in the Conqueror

115 years ago the comedien Edgar Kennedy was born

35 years ago John Wayne appeared on television with Raquel Welsh in Raquel

35 years ago Shoot out at Rio Lobo was shown with George Plimpton

29 years ago El Dorado was shown on television for the first time with a 28% rating

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by SXViper@Apr 26 2005, 03:14 PM
    Wasn't Broderick Crawford also in "In Harm's Way" ?

[snapback]16323[/snapback]

Hi Viper - "In Harm's Way" had a character named Admiral Broderick - he was played by Dana Andrews.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Doh!!! :headbonk: :lol: :lol:

Thats what I was thinking!! errr maybe that was the problem, I was not thinking. Work has been killing me lately!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Amazing Arthur,

I can't beleive that Jim Davis has been dead for 24 years. That's about 2 years less than Duke being dead, and I thought he died in the mid-eighties.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi

Thanks for all the comments It seems this column is becoming thought provoking, keep them coming.

Today was a relatively quiet one for things connected with the Duke, but however:-

On this day 27th April

51 years ago The Fighting Seabees was released in West Germany.

27 years ago the Swedish artist Olaf Wengraf died aged 88. A noted artist he did the art work for the title credits for the film El Dorado and appeared briefly as the gunsmith.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Roland

I knew of your interest in this person

Believe it or believe it not In my notes, in my diary and checking on IMDB they all say Olaf Wieghorst, and yet I typed Olaf Wengraf. That's the trouble with writing this early in the morning before work, but thanks for pointing it out.

The paintings at the beginning of ElDorado, the music and the commentary all helped to make the picture one of my favourites. Like you I wouldn't turn down one of his pintings if offered, but what are the chances of that.

Where would you put him in regard to Remington?

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

Hi On this Day 28th April it was a day of births

66 years ago the actress Charlene Holt was born its interesting reading of her first introduction to Howard Hawks prior to making El Dorado in the book Hawks Hollywoods Grey Fox.

72 years ago the actress Carolyn Jones was born. She appeared in How The West Was Won.

64 years ago The actress Ann Margaret was born, she appeared with Duke in the Train Robbers.

140 years ago In Dublin Ireland the actor Eric Mayne was born. He appeared as a Legionarre Colonel in John Ford's Hangman's House.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 29th April

114 years ago the actor Harry Cording was born.

41 years ago the actor J.M.Kerrigan died

37 years ago John Wayne appeared on the Rowan and Martin Laugh In.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hello Arthur,

I agree with you about El Dorado - the opening scenes and music are a real treat for me as well.

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Hi

On This Day 30th April

8 years ago the actor Scott Forbes died, An enigma he made his reputation in American films playing in American westers, and if you asked anyone about him they would swear that he was an American. The truth is he was born in High Wycombe and at one time adopted the name Julien Dallas. Moving to the United Staes he perfected his accent to the point where he was accepted as a natural American. He appeared in Operation Pacific.

30 years ago the Singer Hall Johnson died most famous for the Hall Johnson choir.

94 years ago the actor Douglas V Fowley was born, If you go back nine days we covered his death.

51 years ago the Film Trouble Along the Way was released in Finland.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 5th May:

114 years ago the actor Wallace McDonald was born. He appeared in early duke westerns Texas Cyclone, Two Fisted Law.

79 years ago the actor Bing Russell was born, he appeared in among others The horse Soldiers and Rio Bravo

91 years ago The actress Verna Hillie was born she was in The Trail Beyond

106 years ago The actor Harry Woods was born he played a villain in a number of John Wayne westerns

34 years ago Alice Tissot died she was the housekeeper in The Longest Day.

37 years ago The actor Albert Dekker was found hanging in his bathroom, to this day speculation still runs as to whether he was killed by a burglar or died as a result of a bizzare sexual experiment that went wrong.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 6th May

69 years ago the British actress Joanna Dunham was born she appeared in The Greatest story Ever Told.

114 years ago The actor Victor Kilian was born he went on to appear in Reap the Wild Wind.

Not a lot of though is given to the art of Cinematography, with most people concentrating on the actors and directors, but there were some truly great cinematographers who worked for Ford Hathaway and Hawks etc on John Wayne films and thirty-seven years ago Loyal Griggs died aged 78. Among his many pictures were In Harm's Way and The Greatest Story Ever Told.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low