There are 997 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 236,478 times. The latest Post () was by ethanedwards.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

On this Day 12th September:

53 years ago Flying Leathernecks was released in West Germany.

71 years ago John Ford was appointed Lt Cdr in the US Naval Reserve.

78 years ago bardelys the Magnificent was released in Finland

80 years ago the actor Dickie Moore was born he appeared in the Hollywood Handicap.

12 years ago the director Charles Lamont died.

18 years ago the actor John Qualen died, a member of john Ford's ';Stock Company' among his many pictures were The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 13th September:

32 years ago John Wayne appeared on the Rowan and Martin Show in a sketch featuring the ten worst singers in England.

85 years ago the actor John Crawford was born he appeared in The Longest Day and The Greatest Story Ever Told. He should not be confused with the actor Johnny Crawford who partnered Chuck Connors in The Rifleman.

102 years ago the actress Claudette Colbert was born in Paris, she appeared in Without Reservations.

116 years ago the director Scott Pembroke was born he directed some of John Wayne's Lone Star pictures.

34 years ago the director Tenny Wright died he directed Telegraph Trail.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 14th September:-

43 years ago The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance was released in Finland

84 years ago Henry Wills was born a stunt double for among others Dean Martin Alan Ladd and Audie Murphy he appeared as a rustler in The Cowboys.

106 the author James Warner Bellah was born he wrote the John Ford cavalry trilogy and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 14 2005, 09:19 AM
    106 the author James Warner Bellah was born he wrote the John Ford cavalry trilogy and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

[snapback]21403[/snapback]

Hi Arthur,
    Is these scripts are published? I like the trilogy very much.
    Regards,
    Vera

• Hi Senta

I think that it is possible to get a copy of the scripts but for the life of me I don't know where. Someone I wrote to some years ago sent me a copy of the Sons of Katie Elder and it didn't seem to be a lot of trouble. Perhaps one of the other menbers may be able to help. Certainly I for one would like to be able to get hold of some of them.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this day 15th September:-

38 years ago El Dorado was released in Finland.

56 years ago The Fighting Kentuckian was released in the USA.

65 years ago the actor Merlin Olsen was born, he appeared in the Undefeated.

72 years ago the actor Henry Darrow was born, better known as Manilito in The High Chapperal, he also worked on Cancel My Reservation.

96 years ago the actor Phil Arnold was born, he appeared in The Commancheros, Jet Pilot and the Conqueror.

11 years ago the stuntman Henry Wills died aged 73 the day after his birthday.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    When you write "was released in Finland" you mean - it was shown in the theaters there? May be you hane information about DVD releases of Dukes films in Finland. It interesting to me becouse I' very often visit that country, but for a pity can't find DVD with Duke films.
    Regards,
    Senta

• Hi
    On this day 16th September:-

41 years ago John Wane was admitted to Hoag General GHospital to have a malignent growth removed from his left lung. The operation was carried out by Dr John Jones and was successful.

77 years ago the actor Carlos Rivas was born, he appeared in The Undefeated and True Grit.

81 years ago Lauren Bacall was born. Seen in Blood Alley and the Shootist. Happy Birthday Lauren.

102 years ago Russell Harlan was born, he appeared in a number of pictures including Hatarai.

3 years ago James Gregory died he played Morgan Hastings in The Sons of Katie Elder.

Hi Senta

Unfortunately I have little knowledge of Finland, but perhaps some of the neighbouring European countries might have access to Duke's DVD's.

With regard to Release dates I go to the search on IMDB.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 17th September:-

75 years agfo the actor David Huddleston was born besides appearing in McQ he also played the dentist in Rio Lobo.

77 years ago ago the British actor Roddy McDowell was born he was in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

91 years ago Mae Madison was born, she worked in The Big Stampede.

120 years ago the actor George Cleveland was born. Appearing in almost two hundred pictures, many of which were westerns, he played a supporting role in the 1945 picture Dakota.

26 years ago the writer Willis goldbeck died. Famous for writing Dr Kildaire pictures he also wrote the screenplay for The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

33 years ago the actor Akim Tamiroff died aged 72 he was heard but not seen playing the voice of Chinkapin in Reap the Wild Wind.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi

On this Day 18th September

46 years ago the film Rio Bravo was released in Denmark.

66 years ago the actor and singer Frankie Avalon was born, one of the first of the pop singers to appear in pictures during the la\te 1950s he played Smitty in The Alamo.

72 years ago the actor Robert Blake was born. He appeared in he Greatest Story Ever Told. He has since been charged and put on trial accused of murdering his wife, what the result is I don't know.

85 years ago the actor Jack Warden was born, he featured in Donovan's Reef.

89 years ago the Italian actor Rossano Brazzi was born. he was in Legend of the lost.

91 years ago the British cinematographer and director Jack Cardiff was born, he directed Legend of the lost and while on location fell hopelessly in love with Sophia loren, but who wouldn't?

132 years ago the actor Willard mack was born he was in Hangman's House in a minor uncredited role.

37 years ago Franchot tone died aged 63 he was in In Harm's Way.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

72 years ago the actor Robert Blake was born. He appeared in he Greatest Story Ever Told. He has since been charged and put on trial accused of murdering his wife, what the result is I don't know.

Arthur, he was found not guilty probably 3-4 months ago. I don't know any details about the case, just the fact he was not found guilty. And I think it added about 25 years to the way he looks, he didn't take the whole jail time/trial very well.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 18 2005, 05:47 AM
    he directed Legend of the lost and while on location fell hopelessly in love with Sophia loren, but who wouldn't?

Ain't it the truth? Ah, those eyes........I could just drown in 'em. :P

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Viper and Stumpy

Thanks for the information on Robert Blake it all helps to fill in the blanks.

On this Day 19th September:-

John Ford visited John Wayne on the set of the Alamo and stayed...and stayed... and stayed......... .

72 years ago the British actor David McCallum was born Better known with Robert Vaughn in the Man From Uncle and in the disasterous Amercan serial The Invisible Man, he also played Judas Iscariot in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

74 years ago the actor Ray Danton was born, a very much unappreciated actor he appeared in some great roles including The Longest Day.

117 years ago Porter Hall was born he appeared in The Dark Command.

5 years ago the actress Ann Doran died aged 89

60 years ago the actor John Agar married the actress Shirley Temple.

69 years ago Dick Powell married Joan Blondell.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 19 2005, 11:30 AM
    72 years ago the British actor David McCallum was born Better known with Robert Vaughn in the Man From Uncle and in the disasterous Amercan serial The Invisible Man, he also played Judas Iscariot in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

[snapback]21491[/snapback]

Hi Arthur -
    I don't know if you folks across the pond know that McCallum is currently active in the television series "NCIS," starting up its third season over here. He is playing the forensics pathologist "Ducky" (Dr. Mallard).
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this Day 20th September:-

42 years ago Donvan's Reef was released in West Germany.

67 years ago the film Overland Stage Raiders was released in the US.

[reading a reward poster]
    First Bandit: One thousand dollars. I guess we ain't worth much to the Oro Grande Company.
    Second Bandit: That ain't no decent reward for a self-respecting bandit. What do you say we send Harmon a donation to boost the ante?
    First Bandit: Maybe I will - after we polish off the three o'clock stage!

71 years ago Sophia Loren was born in Italy.She starred in Legend of the Lost

73 years ago the actor |Pepper Martin was born he appeared in Cahill

91 years ago the British actor Kenneth More was born he was in The Longest Day.

114 years ago Frank R Strayer was born he was in The Sea Spoilers.

32 years ago Glenn Strange died aged 74 he was in Red River.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

Originally posted by arthurarnell@Sep 20 2005, 12:11 PM
    32 years ago Glenn Strange died aged 74 he was in Red River.

[snapback]21513[/snapback]

He usually played baddies in a lot of westerns, but he was most noteable in the recurring role of Sam, the bartender, in the TV series "Gunsmoke."
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi

On this Day 21st September:-

74 years ago Larry Hagman was born, he was in Harm's Way.

81 years ago the beautiful actress Gail Russell was born.

31 years ago Walter Brennen died aged 80

12 years ago the Belgian actor Fernand LeDeux died aged 96 he was in The Longest Day.

58 years ago the cowboy actor Harry Carey died aged 69.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low