Hey! I'm New

There are 28 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,373 times. The latest Post () was by William T Brooks.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'm 14 years old and have been a John Wayne fan since I was about 10. 2 years ago I stopped being such a big fan (for a stupid reason I don't feel like sharing right now), but I still like to sometimes watch a John Wayne movie. My dad got me into John Wayne and I've read some books about him. My favorite JW movie is El Dorado. I've watched it about 40 times! I have every line memorized. And my dad has every line memorized of Rio Bravo, which is his favorite. I love message boards, and I thought the only kind I'm not on is a John Wayne one. So here I am. :D

Are there any other young fans here?

• Bonnie,

WELCOME to the John Wayne Message Board!! It's great to have you here, and you'll discover there is a really great bunch of folks here.

While most of our members are somewhat older, we do have a few younger members. JWfan is about 15 or 16 by now, I think. He lives overseas, in Holland. Robbie is 21, and in Great Britain. Those are the members I can think of, of the top of my head, that are closest in age to you.

As for me, I am 57 years old, and the Mrs. is 48. We have six kids, but only one is a real John Wayne fan, and that is our youngest son, who will be 9 in May. He's been a self-proclaimed cowboy since he was about 3 years old (used to stomp around in his cowboy boots and oversized Stetson and say, "I John Wayne! I a cowboy!") and he definitely loves the Duke. He has a real memory for actors in different movies, and plot lines, and constantly surprises his "old" parents.

As you will learn, our members are from around the world and share a common love for the Duke. I notice you are from California - so are we!

So welcome, and we hope you will become a real regular around here!

:D:jump::D:jump:

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• hey bonnie,welcome to the forums...glad you came back into liking John Wayne again...im guessing the reason was because you didnt think he was cool..or had to do something with friends.

Im 19,and im canada...so i guess im.."young" haha, anyways ive liked john wayne since i was....still in pampers,i remember watching all the movies with my grandfather.

Again,welcome to the forums and i hope you enjoy your stay here :).

-IHW

• Welcome, Bonnie! El Dorado was the Wayne movie that got me into the Duke and until my new obsession with Donovan's Reef, it was my favorite of his. I, too have every line memorized. BTW, you're much cooler than I was when I was 14, it took me another eight years to fully appreciate John Wayne's legend! I was merely a casual fan before that time.

InHarmsWay: You're only 19? You sure had me fooled! I enjoy reading your erudite posts, keep 'em coming!

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Thanks guys! You are a really nice group.

Cole Thornton-- I like your signature. :lol:

Something kinda cool is my sister went to Ireland a few years ago, and she walked right where John Wayne walked while filming The Quiet Man. And she got me two wood black & white pictures of scenes from The Quiet Man, and they're still hanging on my wall.

• Hi Bonnie -
    Welcome to the John Wayne Message Board where you can find out all sorts of things about the Duke and a lot of other subjects. You'll find it both fun and informative - as well as addictive.

Cole - I thought I was the only one to use big words - you caught me by surprise!

Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker+Mar 9 2005, 03:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jay J. Foraker @ Mar 9 2005, 03:54 PM)</div>

<!--QuoteBegin-InHarmsWay
    Well thanks Cole,nice of you to say so!.But i must confess....i had to look up "erudite", lol.

-IHW

LOL! :D The only thing more embarrassing than my occasional choice of words is when I begin to pontificate when someone asks me a question! One of the many perils of having a humanities degree...

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I was just thinking, since I'm older now than I was a few years ago, maybe my mom will let me watch some of the movies she thought would be too violent back then, like Big Jake and The Green Berets. Are those even that violent??

This is fun getting back into The Duke again! ^^

• Okay, which way to the old age pension/social security office. I must be in a shrinking minority that can remember when John Wayne was alive. Fourteen and Nineteen....been out of high school longer than that, but that's good, I am glad his fans come in all age groups.

Big Jake is violent in parts, but I wouldn't say the violence is gratuitous. It's a film I enjoy and just watched again the other night. It's been a long time since I watched The Green Berets, so the violence level there escapes me at the moment. I suspect both would get a PG13 rating or similar, bu that's just a guess.

Roger.

Originally posted by Bonnie@Mar 13 2005, 08:01 PM
    I was just thinking, since I'm older now than I was a few years ago, maybe my mom will let me watch some of the movies she thought would be too violent back then, like Big Jake and The Green Berets. Are those even that violent??

This is fun getting back into The Duke again! ^^

[snapback]15265[/snapback]

Bonnie,

What movies does your mom let you watch? I don't really want my almost 9 year old to watch Big Jake. Compared to many other John Wayne movies, it was quite a bit more graphic as far as the violence goes - I remember being very surprised by that, and not allowing him to continue watching it. Have you seen the Indiana Jones movies? I would say they would be similar in "gory-ness." If you've seen Indie, you should be allowed to watch Big Jake. I guess the same would go for The Green Berets, although the context of that movie is one of war, so I look at the violence in that one a little differently. There are definitely some graphically violent scenes in that one. How sensitive you are might determine if you should watch it.

Now that's just my opinion, and I wouldn't want to encourage you to go against your parent's wishes :rolleyes: , because of course they know you much better than I do.

Mrs. C :angel1: (mother of six - ages 24, 22, 16, 14, 8, and 6)

Originally posted by erscolo@Mar 14 2005, 12:56 AM
    Okay, which way to the old age pension/social security office. I must be in a shrinking minority that can remember when John Wayne was alive. Fourteen and Nineteen....been out of high school longer than that, but that's good, I am glad his fans come in all age groups.

Roger.

[snapback]15267[/snapback]

I was eight when John Wayne died, and I remember that day well. I was visiting my grandparents and was sitting in front of their huge TV set (the ones that looked like furniture) and I recall being surprised that he died, as I was unaware that Duke had been ill.

Didn't we have a poll thread here a while back that allowed forum members to click the age group they were in? We'll have to bump that and have the new members chime in on it.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I was in high school when he died; actually in a dress store trying on formals on the chance that I would be asked to the prom the next year. The store had a radio and it came over the news.

As for your mom not letting you watch some of John Wayne's movies - well we moms usually have pretty good reasons for that kind of stuff.

• Boy you people make me feel old , I was about 8 years old when I first saw "Stagecoach" for the first time, and my Grandmother who lived at that time in the old West told me that it was all "Just Make Believe" and I knew that it was just that. :D If I remember correctly there was very little Blood and and Guts in those early John Wayne Films, but lots of Action, but times have changed now!!! Chilibill :cowboy:

Ps: You must be able to know what is Real and What is Make-Believe!!!

Originally posted by chester7777@Mar 13 2005, 11:54 PM
    Bonnie,

What movies does your mom let you watch? I don't really want my almost 9 year old to watch Big Jake. Compared to many other John Wayne movies, it was quite a bit more graphic as far as the violence goes - I remember being very surprised by that, and not allowing him to continue watching it. Have you seen the Indiana Jones movies? I would say they would be similar in "gory-ness." If you've seen Indie, you should be allowed to watch Big Jake.

No, I haven't seen the Indiana Jones movies, but I think she would let me watch them. I think I would be perfectly fine watching Big Jake, but I'll ask her sometime what she thinks about it. She doesn't want me to watch the movie "Tora, Tora, Tora", so she might not like me to watch The Green Berets. Oh well, I'll just ask her later.

• No Indiana Jones, eh? I was 10 when the first one came out and EVERY boy worth his weight in Topps trading cards had to see it. But, who the heck am I to tell someone how to raise their child? BTW, most boys love monsters and adventure stuff. It works wonders for the imagination, IMO.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Bonnie,

Of course listen to your mom, if she says no, I must agree with her decision. Big Jake does have its moments and may not be suitable to younger audiences, but with today's movies I must say that almost every movie out today, and I do say almost, is a lot tamer than Big Jake. But I do value your mother's concern.

There are many more Duke movies out that are good and suitable for you to watch. You can get these movies: McLintock!, Hatri!, Donovan's Reef, Angel & The Badman (for you chilibill), North to Alaska, Trouble Along the Way (on VHS), Circus World (on VHS), and many more.

I hope this helps in your selection of Duke movies.

Cheers Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Today's movies tamer than Big Jake? Wow, I'll have to see that one again, as it's been awhile. I can't imagine any Duke movie being more violent than say, Kill Bill. I think you're being too harsh on Big Jake, but I'll have to see it again to really be sure.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."