In Case You Ladies & Gentlemen Have Not Heard...

There are 18 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,977 times. The latest Post () was by Emmanuel.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Though I am not Catholic, this Pope has been an icon in my life these past 25 + years. He will be missed by hundreds of millions of people. May he rest in peace.

Carl.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• may he now rest in peace he is no longer in pain or burdened with any illnesses. i am not a RC but for those who are he has gone to a far better place and may he be remembered for all the good things he did while he walked upon this earth

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I'm not Catholic either, but Pope John Paul II seemed like such a genuine guy that it was almost impossible not to like him. He wasn't afraid to visit places that weren't absolutely safe, and he was a huge advocate for world peace. I didn't agree with him on everything, but I had (and will always have) a great deal of respect for him.

He will definitely be missed.

• My first recollections of him was when I was in the 3rd grade at Epiphany Episcopol grade school. When he was being picked, the Nuns got everyone from all classes together gathered into the school's library where they had a TV set up in. I remember it took all morning and then we saw the white smoke meaning that they picked the next Pope. It really was a cool experiance for someone like me who is a Methodist.

I also liked the fact that this Pope really was an open person and down to earth. I remember seeing news of him on vacation somewhere either hiking in the mountains or skiing somewhere. Also, I think it was about 5 or so years after he became Pope, that he published a comic book about his life. He did this in order to touch base with younger people. I read the comic but regret I never bought it.

• Today's (April 8, 2005) San Antonio Express included a section in tribute to Pope John Paul II with special emphasis on his visit to San Antonio in 1987. Very nicely laid out with some cherishable photographs. Other papers around the country, I would surmise, have done something similar this week.
    Cheers - Jay ^^

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• :cowboy: Hi Jay, I remember his visit. At that time I was still living in Kingsville but I do remember his visit. If I also recollect, the Pope was made an honorary Texan as well.

• We, also not Catholic, have still had a deep respect for the leader of the Catholic church. This pope has done more for religion in general and freedom in the world than any other of which we are aware.

One of my memories of the pope is when the assassination attempt was made against him. I remember him bending down to pat a little child on the head who had a Fatima medal (or something like that) on, just as the assassin pulled the trigger and the bullet missed being fatal by a fraction of an inch. Who says God isn't out there when you need Him?

If John Wayne did "get religion" at the end as some say, maybe he and the pope are chattin' right now. :D

Chester :newyear:

• Hi Chester, I too remember the assassination attempt on him but I never knew any details before such as what you just posted. Thanks for that. I say that was lucky of him. I remember that he forgave the assassin and he had also kissed him on the cheek or forehead? something like that.

You know, another thing I greatly admire the Pope for is that he chose to be buried in a simple wooden casket. I sure hope his successor will be even 1/10th as great as John Paul II was.

• Have any of you heard that he may be chosen for Saint Hood?,I heard if on the radio this morning while on the way to clas - I do hope he becomes as Saint,like Mother Theresa he was an icon in many's eyes.

-IHW

• Public opinion seems to support his Sainthood. The Church has to go through its formalities and rituals to elevate Pope John Paul II to this status, but I think it will be sooner than later in the scheme of things.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Ringo -
    It all depends on the person to be elevated to such reverence. Mother Theresa, I believe, is already revered as a Saint. I think there will be only a short time before Pope John Paul II is relegated to Sainthood.
    Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Yes,Mother Theresa is a Saint.I believe it did take a few years though?Anyone else have any other knowledge on this that they could share?

-IHW

• in harm's way

They will have to wait until they elect a new Pope before any decision can be made regarding the elevation of the Pope John-Paul II to sainthood. The new Pope will then make the decision. the large contingent of Polish Catholics at the funeral last Friday were calling for the elevation as soon as possible. A lot of people are already referring to him as Pope John Paul the Great. So I think the Catholics of this world, myself included, will have a new saint sooner rather than later

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Jay, IHW and Emmanuel.

From what I understand, I think the Pope did waive the rules in Mother Theresa's case. I don't remember how long it took though? It didn't seem like it was very long in happening though. Like what Emmanuel said, (in other words of course) i'm beginning to think the Pope being a Saint will be a shoe-in. I am also thinking the next Pope might be a German--which I think would be a first? wouldn't it?

• Hi TRk IHW, Jay

I know the late Pope was the first non Italian in over 400 years, as to the new Pope being German, I don't know. All the talk on TV and in the papers this side of the pond, would have us believing that the next Pope will come from what they call the developing countries, i e Africa. They say that this is because of the increase in the belief of the Catholic religion in that region. The conclave of Cardinals will convene next Monday to start their deliberations on the election.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.