Ireland Goes Digital

There is 1 reply in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,460 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'd like to ask our friends over in Ireland what they think about the change their moviehouses are about the make.

Ireland was chosen, so I read, to be the first country whose cinemas are to be completely reconstructed to show digital films. Meaning, the good old 35mm stuff is out, and there will be high-tech-beamers projecting the picture.

Hollywood is very influental in this because they hope to start their films worldwide the same day (take the money and run!), and they would save the dough to make the fine 35mm-copies. Of course, old film buffs would hate to see 35mm go - which, until today, is still the best material for a razorsharp picture.

What do you think - and did you already experience digital films in Ireland?

• itdo,

I'm not from Ireland, but it is interesting that this is starting to happen. It's hard to stop "progress." My only thought on this is if you only look and see how much digital projection has improved the last twenty years, I would guess that we will continue to see further improvement in the next twenty years, to where at some point we won't be able to see the difference between 35mm and digital. When you go back and look at the quality of the first twenty years of movie making, they definitely had some pretty marginal quality.

On the positive side, just think of how reasonably priced those o-o-o-o-o-old 35mm projectors will be to a collector, and possibly the prints as well :) .

Chester :newyear: