For You Gun Enthusiasts

There are 37 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 9,304 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Stumpy and Chester, you are correct on the lethal action of a shotgun compared to .223 rifle in such a closed in environment as your house. But, the AR-15 looks so much more nastier that looks alone can sometimes get somebody thinking twice B) But they are both really close by and I have to try to be safe with the kids around. Don't want them playing with them, but don't want them scared of them either.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@May 23 2005, 12:34 PM
    Stumpy and Chester, you are correct on the lethal action of a shotgun compared to .223 rifle in such a closed in environment as your house. But, the AR-15 looks so much more nastier that looks alone can sometimes get somebody thinking twice B) But they are both really close by and I have to try to be safe with the kids around. Don't want them playing with them, but don't want them scared of them either.

[snapback]16902[/snapback]

One little point though, Viper. In the dark nobody can see how lethal that AR looks. :P

Very sensible re. kids and guns. We read too many news stories about kids shooting themselves or other kids. Don't want that happening to yours, my friend. Be sure and teach them gun safety when they're old enough to retain it.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I'm not 100% current on all gun laws but check this out.

I used to live in a much smaller town which is about 1 hrs drive from where I now live. For those in Texas, I was born and raised in Kingsville which I might add is the worl headquarters for the King Ranch. (They own tons of land in Austrailia and other countries too)

Anyway, when I lived in kingsville, it was a very common sight to see with people carrying rifles or having them placed on racks in their trucks. As I did not have a truck of my own, I simply laid mine in the back windor area of my car (where the speakers are) and I used to drive around with: an M1-Garand, a Lithgow Lee-Enfield SMLE MK4 (made in Austrailia), a Mauser 98K and an M-100 Carbine (Made by Calico) and looks almost exactly like a Star Wars laser rifle -- which was why I bought it.

The Police knew I carried rifles in my car and never had to worry about why I was doing so as most of the police officers in Kingsville I had known and been friends with some, for years. In fact, I used to buy old Military rifles, clean them up and resale them to hunters and collectors and the like. Three of those who bought from me were police officers.

At one time untill about 12 years ago, a person could walk down a street with a rifle in their hand and nobody would look at you twice. If I tried this where I live now, i'd probably end up behind bars. I used to ride my bicycle all over the place in Kingsville with my M1 Garand slung crossways cross my back.

No way i'd try that now, too many dang liberals around.

Best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• A short but funny story.

There was supposed to be a gunshow here in an upcoming weekend. I did not have the date and relied on asking one of the security people who worked where the gun show was to be held. I asked and was told that the gunshow was the very next weekend. I went there the next weekend and was the first person to arrive. I was carrying a 1942 made P-08 Luger (mistakenly dubbed as a Black Widow Luger) a Mauser 98 K rifle, a Mauser 98 K bayonet and an M-35 double decal Luftwaffe combat helmet.

As per norm, I made my way to the floor the show was supposed to be held carrying all this stiff and nobody working there saying anything. I sat down to wait for the time that the show was going to open (you could not see through the doors because at that time, they used to have curtains or i'd have fouint out about the security persons mis-informing me on something.)

Well, as the time grew closer to opening at 9:00 AM, people started arriving with the vast majority wearing "Sunday Clothes" while I was in my normal "rags." Many of the people who were walking past me were giving me wierd looks as they were going to the next level, and I could not figure out why? I stopped a security guard and asked him if I was on the correct floor of where the gun show was going to be held and that I felt "naked" around so many people who had no guns with them. I told him I had asked a certain guard working the weekend befor efor the date of the show. This person laughed and said that the person I had asked for info had been fired a few days earlier for lying to people and other things. The security guard then told me that the people going to the next level were Jehovahs Witnesses who were having a convention of sorts unstairs.

Needless to say, the gun show was the following weekend. We laughed about it and then I left taking the elevator down. The doors opened and there were 10 or so people waiting to get on it (more Jehovahs Witnesses I might add) and they all looked at me like I had just landed in a UFO in front of them -- because I was carrying guns.

How embarassing. :ph34r:

• That reminds me of things that happened when I was in school back in the late 40s and early 50s.

I remember some 7th grader brought to school a Mauser Broomhandle that his dad had brought back from the war as a souvenir. When I was in the 4th grade, in 1948, I took to school an Artillery Luger that my uncle had brought back. Other kids were always bringing military souvenir weapons to school as sort of show-and-tell items. In fact, one boy even brought an MP-40 to school one time. Nobody thought anything about it. Nowadays they'd probably have a national alert if some kid brought something like that to school. For sure the kid would prbably be barred from school for life.

• Alright you young Bucks; You have told your stories about Guns or Weapons in the home, car and packing weapons around on your body so I will tell one also. :rolleyes:

Back in the middle of the 1950s after the Korean War was over and I was out of the U.S.A.F. and serving out the rest of my time in the Arizona Air Guard and had gone back to work as a Engineer for the Phone Company. :angry:

My Grandmother had been having trouble with Peeping- Toms at Her house in Phoenix. :ph34r: Now Grandmother was in her late 60s at this time, and as I told you before she had come out from West Texas in a Wagon-Train to Arizona in the early 1900s, so she was a tough old Gal. :angry: I had loaded Grandfathers 12 Ga. Shot-Gun with Double O Buck-Shot and had it by her bed.

I got a Call from the Chief of Police in Phoenix in the Middle of the Night and he told me that I should come Grandmothers House that there had been some trouble. :( The Chief had worked for Grandfather when He was The Chief back in the early 1940s, so he knew Grandmother very well.

When I got to Grandmothers house there were police cars all over the place and Grandmother was very upset, and I soon saw why. :fear2: The window in Her Bed-Room was completely gone. :fear:

The way She told the Story was that She saw a man looking in Her Bed-Room Window so She took the Shot-Gun and Fired. :ph34r: The Man Ducked just in time, but the Shot-Gun Blast took all of the Window out!

The Chief told me later that was the End of the Peeping-Toms in that part of Phoenix! :lol:

The Bad Part of the story was that we had to replace a Very Large Bed-Room Window, and Pay to have a bunch of red bricks on the house Next Door replaced!!!

Chilibill :cowboy:

• That's what I mean by using double-ought for home defense, Bill. It'll do as much damage to your house as it does to the bad guy.

• Hi Everyone.

I don't have any gun stories, but after reading the last few posts I'm reminded of that old joke.

Man walks up to another man standing on a street corner, and says.

"I'm a Jehovahs Witness."

The other man looks at him and says.

"I didn't know there was an accident."

:headbonk:

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

Emmanuel.

• Stumpy; What you say about Double O Buck-Shot is true, it does do a Lot of Damage, but in most cases, you only have to pull the Trigger One Time! :dead:

In the 50s and 60s when my Stepfather and I were shooting at the Phoenix Police Combat Range, and we would shoot against a Policeman using a Shot-Gun with Double O Buck Shot and we were using Hand- Guns, the man with the Shot-Gun would almost always win! :angry:

• hi sixviper

how about a gun lock there has been one invented by a couple of aussie blokes and it works by placing a dummy shell into the breach then a rod goes down the barrel and screws into the dummy shell then a lock is placed on the end of the rod and key locked, this is for rifles and shotguns, then for pistols they have a really hard steal (treated some how so that you can't cut it off without ruining the gun) thingy that goes over the trigger i believe this piece is also on the rifles. can't remember how much they were selling for but i think for a rifle it was about A$120 rifle and A$75 for a pistol, the inventers said that if you had more that one gun they could key all the locks alike. seems like a good move if you want to keep the kiddlie winks safe

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• My dad had several guns in the house under the bed and 1 in the nightstand. All loaded ready for use and no locks. My dad took the time to take me out and let me fire the guns so that it was not a big mistry as to what it was like and he ALSO took the time to let me know that if I EVER even thought about touching them with out him around I wouldn't sit down for a week... I never had a problem with wanting to PLAY with any of his guns.

Also there is nothing like the sound of a pump shootgun down a dark hallway.

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Here's another gun story that in retrospect is kinda funny, though it wasn't at the time.

When my parents divorced in 1944, my Mom, out of economic necessity, moved herself, my sister and I in with our grandparents. My Grandpa was a rough old fart who always kept several loaded rifles and shotguns in the dining room behind a door.

Grandpa worked for a small oil company and the company owner kept several cows on the oil lease. One day, one of those cows got into Grandma's vegetable garden. I was sitting at the dining room table reading when suddenly Grandpa ran into the room and grabbed one of the guns from behind the door, then ran out again. I followed, just in time to see him shoot the cow in the vegetable garden. The cow fell down dead, whereupon Grandpa got a look of great consternation upon his face. He suddenly realized that he'd grabbed a rifle instead of a shotgun and had killed one of his boss's cows. Needless to say, the boss wasn't too happy when Grandpa told him. I don't know but suspect that the boss docked Grandpa's wages until the cow was paid for.

• Smokey, I have locks for all my guns. and they are installed. So no worries there.

Stumpy, That story there is funny!! I don't care who you are that's funny right there!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Hi Stumpy.

That's a funny story.... :P What did your Grandpa do with the dead cow?

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

Originally posted by Emmanuel@May 25 2005, 12:55 AM
    What did your Grandpa do with the dead cow?

If I remember correctly, the boss hauled away the cow and had it butchered for meat. But I think he shared the meat with Grandpa.

That's been so long ago it's hard to remember all the details. I was only about 7 or 8 years old at the time (and now I'm 67).

• hi sixviper

glad to see that the guns are safe, my brother has his lock away in the gun safe of his unit on base so that they aren't in the house i believe he has to transport them only when he has a new posting.

oh stumpy your grandad must of nearly had a heart attack when he saw the cow drop, but your right it is funny now

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Smokey, Stumpy,Viper, Emmanuel and erthomp143;

In this part of the U.S. most people keep their weapons in a save place when the Little Ones are around. I have a Secret Room that only my Three Grown Children know how to get into, that I keep most of the Weapons that I have in my Gun Collection "Over 100 weapons mostly old Movie Guns, Collector Weapons, Hunting Rifles and Shot-Guns", except the ones that I have in my Car and the one that I carry on my person. :cowboy:

I do keep Many of the Non-Shooter Movie guns on the wall of my Den for people to look at. I do have "Duke's Pistol and Rifle" where I can get them out for people to look at. Duke's Guns are the first ones that most people want to look at! :o

All of my Grown Children and the Grandchildren all know how to Shoot and have been Trained in Gun Safety, and the first thing they want to do when they come to Grandpa's house is to go out and Shoot some of the Rifles and Pistols. :D

My Son Bagged His first Mule Deer when He was 13 years old, and I got my first White Mountain Elk with the help of my Grandfather, when I was in the Eighth Grade I am almost 75 at this time, and it was a little over 1000 LB. Dressed!!! The family had Meat all Year long. :rolleyes:

I guess I forget that we were raised at a defferent time here in the Southwest U.S.

• Hi All.

:cowboy: Smokey, nope, I don't believe in gunlocks for my guns, don't need em. I have no children in my household so don't have to worry bout little fingers messing with my guns. If there were going to be any youngsters coming over, i'd simply place my guns on the top of some kitchen cabinets where they can't be seen nor touched.

As for keeping my Walther P-38 loaded, well, no worries there either because the only other person living with me was a Platoon Sergeant in the Army so, he knows about gun safety.

If their is a time when I have any rug rats running around, I will have my weapons in a safe where they'll not ever have any access to. :)