Robert Vaughn

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,977 times. The latest Post () was by SXViper.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• This is a man whom I first noticed giving an excellent performance as the tormented Lee in The Magnificent seven. He is a vastly underrated actor in my opinion and now well into his seventies he is still involved with the industry starring in the superior TV series 'The Hustle'.

Anyone else here a fan with any stories to share.

:agent:

Regards
    Robbie

• Hi Robbie

I remember Robert Vaughan as Napoleon Solo in the Man From U.N.C.L.E. Over the the years he has played both good and bad guys. He has very distinctive voice. I watched him in the war movie "The Bridge At Remagen" with George Segal and Ben Gazzara, last night (Saturday) on BBC. Was he in one of the Superman movies with Christopher Reeve?

Emmanuel. :jump:

I'll try one of those black beers ....THE QUIET MAN.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• I never cared much for Robert Vaughn. To me, he just lacked the image of manliness I like in my male movie stars.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I seen the bridge of Remagen last night as well that why I started this post.

He was also in Superman III however I have not seen that movie. I think his distinctive voice adds an extra dimension to his sophisticated image and I believe he is truely a great actor.

One great quotes of his is when asked 'how he felt being the only surviving member of the Magnificent 7 he replied

'Its better than the alternative'

What a cool guy.

Regards
    Robbie

I never cared much for Robert Vaughn. To me, he just lacked the image of manliness I like in my male movie stars.

I would have to agree with you Stumpy. The 2 movies that come to mind are "The Magnicent Seven and "Bullitt. In Seven I could tolerate him because the rest of the characters were so good, even Brad Dexter's. But in Bullitt he was just brutal, almost clinical in his acting abilities.

I have to agree with the others though, his voice is very distinctive nd I think he might have done better if he wouldn't have come off as such a sleezy snake in the grass type in some of his movies.

One more thing, Stumpy, you sure you are not my long lost dad? I keep agreeing with you so much!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I like Robert Vaughn and also thinks he is unfairly underrated. I never have seen any Man From Uncle episodes but I have seen him in a few movies. In Bridge At Remagen, he is the German Major who is placed in charge of Remagen's defences by his commanding General played by Peter Van Eyck who died shortly after this movie was made.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

Originally posted by SXViper+May 23 2005, 12:44 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SXViper @ May 23 2005, 12:44 PM)</div>

He always struck me as sort of wimpish and sneaky

<!--QuoteBegin-SXViper
    One more thing, Stumpy, you sure you are not my long lost dad? I keep agreeing with you so much!!!!!

Guess we just think a lot alike.

Funny thing though, I had a long-lost Dad too. He divorced my Mom in 1944, when I was six years old. From 1944 until 1953, which was the year I last saw him, we saw each other very intermittently. From 1953 until 1978 I never heard hide nor hair of him. In 1978, shortly after I retired from the military, the county coroner of Santa Cruz, CA called to tell us my Dad had died of a heart attack and did my sister and I want his body shipped back to Texas. Well, since the man was a virtual stranger, we said thanks but no thanks. Found out later that he had kept my Mom's address and phone number in his wallet all those years and that's how they located us. He never remarried after he divorced my Mom.

• STUMPY,
    You must be my dad too, am I your illegitimate son?
    I never liked Robert Vaughan, and never will,.
    In fact I thought, he was very weak, in the M7.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• A large number of people here have slated Vaughn because he played some slimey characters but that is what is called ACTING. He played the good guy frequently as well in the series The Hustle and Man from Uncle, Lee in the Magnificent 7 was a good guy and so was his character in Bridge at Remagen.

From what reports I have heard he is considered a very nice person in real life and not like many of the messed up rejects of Hollywood.

He was one of my favourite in the Magnificent seven due to his excellent portrayal I found his character very interesting and I liked the way he struggled to regain his nerve.

Regards
    Robbie

• Well, Robbie, if all six billion of us thought alike, the world would be a very boring place, wouldn't it? ;)

• I have to agree with Robbie, to play the bad guy so well, he had to be a great actor.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Robert Vaughn's was especially good in the cult classic "Bullitt," where he was the politically and ambitiously motivated Senator at odds with Steve McQeen's character.
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I would like to see 'Bullit' I've heard its a good movie and Vaughn got an award for his performance it also features a small car chase I have heard.

Stumpy couldn't agree more although our tastes differ significantly even on the big guy we cant agree on his acting.

I am curious if any more scenes of him in the Magnificent 7 were filmed and later cut as I found his screen time annoyingly short in that movie.

Incidentally anyone with an interest in this post what is your favourite Robert Vaughn performance?

Regards
    Robbie

• The "small" car chase seen you refer to in Bullitt is considered one of the finest ever captured. It was between a, I believe 68 Mustang driven by Steve McQueen(no stunt driver) and, I am sure on this one, a black 68 Dodge Charger. The car was driven by the bad guys, one of which ended up playing Bosely on the tv version of Charlie's Angels.

And since I am not a huge fan of Vaughns I guess I would say my favorite is The Magnificent Seven.

-John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@May 26 2005, 09:31 PM
    The "small" car chase seen you refer to in Bullitt is considered one of the finest ever captured. It was between a, I believe 68 Mustang driven by Steve McQueen(no stunt driver) and, I am sure on this one, a black 68 Dodge Charger. The car was driven by the bad guys, one of which ended up playing Bosely on the tv version of Charlie's Angels.

[snapback]17013[/snapback]

Hi Viper -
    The confusion here arises from the two being similar in appearance. David Doyle played the part of Bosley in the "Charley's Angels" TV series. Bill Hickman was the driver of the Dodge Charger in "Bullitt" where he also served as stunt coordinator. He also made an appearance in "The French Connection" - he was the abrasive FBI agent who was mysteriously killed at the end of the movie.
    It's a tossup for me on Robert Vaughn's best role - I can't really choose between "The Magnificent Seven" and "Bullitt," so I'll just sit on the fence on this one.
    Cheers - Jay :rolleyes:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Ahh thanks, I never researched and just assumed it was the same guy. They do look alike though. See what you learn on this site!!!

-John Wayne