Making Of Rio Grande

There are 9 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,971 times. The latest Post () was by smokey.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I think I might have put up part of the making of the Rio Grande film on this Site a few months ago, but I have added a Story by Maureen O'Hara, that I did for the Maureen O'Hara web site some time back. :rolleyes: She talks about John Ford and his Weird ways. And his belittling of Duke and Ben Johnson and Herself. :headbonk:

And for you Newer Members of this Site, I go on to tell about my "Very Small" part as one of the Horse Soldiers in the film that was done over 50 years ago. :fear2: If you want to read the Story you can go to RIO GRANDE And then just keep Clicking NEXT.

As Maureen said, John Ford had become a VERY WEIRD MAN but He was still a Great Director!!! :agent:

Chilibill :cowboy:

• Hi Chillibil.

Once again you have given us a great story and insight into the world of John Wayne.

Maureen O'Hara was a beautiful woman, and a wonderful actress. She and Duke looked great on screen together.

I like watching Ben Johnson in those westerns, you could tell that he knew what he was doing round horses.

I wonder why Duke took all that bad talk from John Ford. He was a big star by then. It takes a big big man to let someone belittle them in front of others.

But then again that's what Duke was, a BIG BIG MAN.

Thanks again Bill.

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi Chillibil.

I know the Moab area has changed since filming Rio Grande, but can someone still
    recognize locations as we can at Monument Valley; and are any directions available?

-ncb

My heroes have always been cowboys.

• Emmanuel;

You are right she was Very Beautiful and still is, and now is in her mid 80s, 10 years older than me. She just left Scottsdale, Arizona where she spends the Winter months, for Ireland where she spends her Summers. Even now that she is a American she loves Ireland also.

And you are also right about Ben Johnson, he was the best on Horse Back that any of us had ever seen! He had been the World Champion Cowboy before he went into Films. :cowboy:

Duke called John Ford "Pappy" and looked on him as a Father Figure. Duke was a very big Star at that time, but as Maureen would say Duke would not do any thing that would Hurt Pappy!!! :angry:

Yes Duke Was Bigger than Life. :D

• nathan; Yes Moab is still some what of a small town and EZ to get around in. :) Most of the film Rio Grande was filmed South of town along the Colorado River and you can still get to the Sites of the Filming Locations. Moab has a very good Visitors Center and can tell you just how to get to most of the Locations. :D

• Thanks Bill once again,
    When emmanuel and I ,do our world Duke tour,
    we will certainly know what to look for
    and it's all down to you.
    Thanks to you and your wonderful, personal
    knowledge and insight,
    but not only that Bill,thanks for
    the time and devotion you take
    to post all of this onto this site,
    for the benefit of us all

Best Wishes,
    Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Many thanks again Bill, have you ever put any of your stories in a book or just online for us. I would definitely buy the book.

Baby Sis

:cowboy::cowboy::cowboy:

"Give me a man like Duke Wayne"...Marueen O'Hara

• Baby Sister,! Boy do I like to say that, it makes me feel like The Duke when I say Baby Sister. :cowboy: I did not think anyone would ask about the Book but the Publisher is doing the Final Edit and should be ready right after the first of the year, and will be called "Duke Stories." I do not think it will be a best seller, but may be some one will read it? :(

• hi there chill

just off the top of my head i could pick say3-5 people who would read it

lets see Arthur, Chester & Mrs C, Baby Sis, Hondo, Stumpy, and all the rest of us just let us know the price of the book i bet you would have a run on it so cheer up it could be successful :jump::)

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"