Grama's Last Wish - Help!

There are 14 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,330 times. The latest Post () was by chester7777.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I really need help. My Grandma does not have much longer to live. She has always talked about wanting this particular song at her funeral. (she can't talk anymore to tell us what it is) All I know is that it's a woman singing... possibly O'harra... she's singing, near a hill or mountain. (she is on the left side of the screen) The song may have possibly something to do about irish...lush green... I know it's a long shot... but if someone out there knows please help. It would mean so much to my Mom who is desperate to find this. Bless you. [email protected]

• Hi ksuski,
    On behalf of us all,
    welcome, and I am sure you will enjoy yourself here.
    If it is a John Wayne film, and
    Maureen, is singing a song,
    is almost certainly from the film
    THE QUIET MAN,
    which was set in Ireland.
    Early in the film, she is singing
    to Will Danaher, but she is in the house,
    playing a piano type instrument,
    and singing a song about 'the Moon, beaming'
    but I don't know the title of the song!
    Later, she is in the cottage,
    again singing, a song that starts,
    'Oh Innisfree, my Ireland, I'm returning'
    However, I don't know of her singing, on a hillside,
    unless this was in another film.

I hope this is of some help to you,as I can't remember
    her singing in any other Duke films,
    does anyone else?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thank you for your suggestion of The Quiet Man. My Mom and I watched it and she says it's not the one. She remembers this woman singing on a hill possibly a grave stone (s) nearby. The woman is on the left of the screen while she is singing, John Wayne is on the right... she is singing to him. Someone mentioned a movie about .... son's going to war and one of them dies... anyone know this movie so I can find out if the song is in it? It may not be Maureen who is singing but possibly another woman. Please help!
    Ksuski

• ksuski,

We'd like to extend to you a warm welcome to the John Wayne Message Board!

We are so sorry to hear about your Grandma. We can't remember any movie like the one you describe, but we'll be trying to find an answer for you as quickly as possible. Any further hints or rememberances will of course be most appreciated.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• ksuski,

I too am sorry about your grandmother, and pray for comfort for all of you in this time of need. Could you tell us if the movie you are talking about is in color or black and white? this could narrow the choice to a time period.

We welcome you to this message board and sorry that you came with the circumstances you are going through right now.

Cheers Hondo B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi,
    When I first saw ksuski's post,
    I initially thought , that this wasn't a John Wayne film.
    I am not a collector of Maureens films,
    but I am sure one of our members will be.
    Perhaps they know of a film she was in, where she
    is singing on the hillside.
    ksuski, your comments about her being amongst the
    gravestones, still point toward THE QUIET MAN,
    but she wasn't singing there!
    Perhaps one of our Maureen fans, can shed some more light?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Could it possibly be Spencer's Mountain (1963)? O'Hara and Henry Fonda were in that one. Donald Crisp played the grandfather, and when his character died, they buried him in the family plot on the side of a hill. O'Hara sang a song at the funeral.

If you're sure the actress was O'Hara, I really think this might be your film.

"I am not intoxicated - yet." McLintock!

• Hi ejgreen77,
    You could well be right,
    SPENCERS MOUNTAIN,
    was indeed released in 1963,
    and starred Maureen O'Hara
    as Olivia.
    I haven't seen the film, perhaps one of
    our friends can verify, if she sang in that film?

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I have the movie, and I heard the hymn. I know the song, but cannot tell you the title.

It starts out, "I walk in the garden alone" and the chorus is, "and he walks with me, and he talks with me ...."

Help me with the title! I will have to break in my church and get a book out to see the title. Hope this helps. Someone get the title.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I googled your lyrics

Is this it?

• That's it Popol Vuh. Thanks for the search. I should have done this myself. I just stubborn and want to find it the old fashion way.

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Hondo,

We just happen to have a church song book in the house (our congregation got new ones a couple of years ago, so we were able to grab an old one). Anyway, we were out listening to a group called The Covenant Four, a wonderful quartet who could easily have sung that song tonight - they do that kind of music. But as Chester was finding the song in the book, I was reading farther down in the thread and came upon Popol Vuh's link, and lo and behold we arrived at them at the same time!

Thanks, PV, for jumping right in with the answer!

What a great group we have here :D .

Mrs. C :angel1:

• Now that we found the title to this hymn, I hope this is what Ksuski is looking for. Is this the song, I Come to the Garden Alone?

Cheers B)

- John Wayne quote

• Thanks everyone! I mentioned this song to my Mother and she said that it sounds familiar... she wants to know what movie it is from. She wants to check it out and see if it's the song! Let me know what movie it's from if you can and I'll be back! You all have been so wonderful in trying to help us. I can't begin to describe how touched I am with everyone's effort and kindness.
    ksuski

• ksuski,

To save you reading through the whole thread again, the movie we came up with was Spencer's Mountain (1963). John Wayne is NOT in that movie, but Maureen O'Hara is, along with Henry Fonda. It is the "original" Walton's story, upon which the TV show was later based.

Some video stores may have it available for rental (that's how we first saw it). Otherwise, it is available at Deep Discount DVD for only $5.99 (and FREE shipping!). Here's a direct link to their site.

Hope this helps!

Chester :newyear: