Private Henry Hook Is Dead

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 4,176 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi

Yet another actor who featured in a John Wayne picture has passed on. James Booth a british born actor who appeared briefly in Brannigan died on August 11th.

He is probably better known by some for his role as private Henry 'Hookie' Hook in Zulu.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• Hi Arthur,
    James Booth,'Charlie the Handle' in Brannigan,
    was indeed a fine, Character Actor/Screenwriter/Photographer.
    He was involved in countless, films and TV productions.
    He will always be known as the'Charming rogue'
    There is a James Booth Tribute page,
    now posted on the net!

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• He had a major role in "Zulu" (one of my favorite movies) but I don't remember him in "Brannigan". Guess I'll have to watch it again to see if I can spot him.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Hi Jim,
    'Charlie the Handle' in Brannigan,
    played by James Booth, was
    the one who shot the drunken informant through
    the window, then ran off down the alley way,
    pursued, by Duke.
    Duke had got him drunk in the pub,
    and took him back to his apartment to try
    and get information, alas, he was too late!

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks, Keith, think I'll watch "Brannigan" again just to refresh my memory. I always liked that movie. It wasn't one of Duke's best but it was far from his worst. Wish though that Susannah York had played the female lead instead of Judy Geeson. I always had the "hots" for Susannah. :D

• Hi Jim,
    I agree with you about Judy Geeson,
    I thought she was bit mumsy-wumsy,
    too cute little girl, for a policewoman.
    Susannah York, well, that makes two of us with the hots!!

By the way,I read my post again!!
    James Booth is the one, who shoots the drunken informant.
    not the one who gets shot,

Keith

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Hi Jim

For a good view of Susannah Yorke watch the Battle of Britain, its a long film but her in stockings and suspenders is one to watch, by the way I liked the film as well.

Regards

Arthur

Walk Tall - Talk Low

• I know, Arthur. "Battle of Britain" was one of her best and sexiest roles, I thought, though I also liked her in "Tom Jones", "Gold" and the Superman movies. It's for sure she was a much better looking woman than Geeson.

• Just finished watching "Brannigan" and since you folks were kind enough to point out the fact that "Hookie" of "Zulu" fame had also played in that film, I naturally had no problems picking him out. He was one of the guys who kidnapped the mobster Larkin. He looked considerably older although there was only 11 years interval between "Zulu" and "Brannigan". He also looked different in civilian clothes than in the uniform he wore in "Zulu". Anyway, I guess those were the two main reasons I overlooked his part in "Brannigan"

• James Booth was a very versatile character actor who appeared in a lot of different movies, both comedy and dramatic. He was a pretty nasty type in "Brannigan."
    Susannah York - the temperature is rising here at the JWMB. I saw her in something more recent but can't remember the particulars, but she could still turn a man's head pretty quick. :rolleyes:
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi guys, thanks for this sad news on the passing of a great character actor. I've seen him in something else but cannot think of what it was.

Yeah, he was great in Zulu and he will be missed. Rest in Peace "Hookie."

BTW, the real Hookie was a recipient of the Victoria Cross.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..