What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,485,067 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Doomed Caravan" (1941)
    -William Boyd

Hopalong Cassidy and friends help a woman whose fright company is being attacked by outlaws.

Phantom's Review: Fun "Hoppy" adventure. Light on plot. heavy on action, humor, and adventure. Good for the whole family.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Law and Order, was the last Western i watched. Nice Ronald Reagan movie which also had The Professor from Gilligan's island in it as well as a couple of other "Recognizable Faces.'

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Watching Duke's The Alamo right now-the DVD release. Great film, but I prefer the Director's Cut. Probably watch Chisum next. I'm at work and on weekends we can bring in DVD players since it's slow, so these will help kill the time.

• Rio Bravo with Duke, Dean, Stumpy. What a classic!

Cheers :cool: Hondo

It's always been my favorite of all Duke's movies. And as we know, there's a pretty wide selection to choose from. :wink_smile:

You're right; it's classic Duke. In fact, I liked everybody who played in that movie.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, earlier today I washed and waxed my new pickup (hopefully, we won't have any rain or snow for awhile :uhuh:) but this evening I decided to watch one of the Westerns I had ordered from the Warner archive and received last week. Picked this one, which in my opinion was an excellent Western. Especially since I don't recall ever seeing it before. Joel McCrea was great in this Cinemascope, Technicolor tale of the great lawman Wyatt Earp taming the wide-open cattle town of Wichita. Lloyd Bridges, Jack Elam and Edgar Buchanan were just three of his adversaries.

It was beautifully photographed, well acted and well directed. Really a pleasant surprise because I wasn't expecting much.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• After eating supper (dinner for you more refined folks :wink:), I decided to watch another of those Westerns I got from the Warner archive. This one was titled "The Oklahoman" and starred Joel McCrea again. It was another big-budget, widescreen, technicolor job but very slow moving. It was also a pretty odd role for Joel. He was a physician who, with his pregnant wife aboard, was heading for California in a covered wagon. His wife goes into labor and has the child but dies in the process. Joel decides to settle with his infant daughter in a small Oklahoma community nearby. He becomes a highly respected member of the town who doctors all the sick people but eventually has to don a gun and take on the local bully who's trying to cheat all the nearby Indians out of their land for the oil that's on it. Like I said, it was a strange story that I didn't like nearly as much as the first McCrea film I watched.

• This morning I watched "The Sheepman", an excellent Western with lots of action and considerable comedy too. Glenn Ford is the sheepman of the title, who arrives in a western cattle town and proceeds to show all his would-be cattlemen opponents that he's the baddest, and smartest, man around. One of his first acts after arriving is to pick a fight with the town's supposedly toughest fighter (Mickey Shaunnessy) and whips his butt right quick. His most dangerous adversaries in the film are Leslie Nielsen (a surprise, given Nielsen's known gift for comedy) and Pernell Roberts who, it turns out, killed Ford's wife in a bank robbery. Shirley MacLaine is the romantic interest and naturally, she starts out being Nielsen's intended and winds up being Ford's. All in all, one of the best Westerns I've seen in awhile. It's another of those Warner archive films.

Filming was done in the same area of Colorado where "True Grit" was made so it has some spectacular scenery. Excellent photography, acting, story and direction. Highly recommended.

Forgot to mention, it also featured Edgar Buchanan. Seems like that old dude has been in every Western I've seen lately. Another player in the film was Pedro Gonzalez-Gonzalez, who was Ford's sheepherder. In case you don't remember, Pedro was the hotel owner in "Rio Bravo".

• This evening I watched the first two episodes of superstar Steve McQueen's role as bounty hunter Josh Randall in "Wanted: Dead or Alive", the TV series that launched his career.

Interestingly enough, Episode 1 featured Michael Landon in what was probably one of his first TV roles before he began starring as Little Joe in "Bonanza", a series that lasted far longer than did "Wanted: Dead or Alive".

I thought it was kinda ironic that Steve played bounty hunters at both the beginning of his career and in his very last movie "The Hunter".

• For the past several days, I've been intermittently watching episodes of the Steve McQueen TV series that jump-started his career - "Wanted: Dead or Alive", in which he plays a bounty hunter of the old West. Even in this early effort, his charisma shown through. Some episodes are better than others, naturally.

• The other night, I finally got around to watching my copy of Apaloosa with Ed Harris, Viggo Mortenson, Renee Zellwegger and, Jeremy Irons. Thought it was a pretty good flick, though I was disappointed that they didn't really shoot it out with Irons and his gang. But overall, it was good. And Mortenson needs to do more westerns. He may be from Europe, Denmark, I think but, he's really good in western roles.