What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,452,872 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Looks like you had a Harrison ford double bill!
    I must agree with you, I watched this with an open mind and although it looks fantastic and is very well put together I felt absolutely nothing for any of the characters. Unfortunately that's something all too common in modern films.

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Fantastic downbeat western, I love it!

It's my favorite of Eastwood's movies. First saw it in the theater as a pre-game movie for my high school football team. Saw The Shootist the following week. I have always found it funny that Bill McKinney played Red Legs Terrell in Josie Wales and Cobb in Shootist and they were playing next to each other in the "Fourplex" in my home town. So McKinney was being killed almost simultaneously by the Duke and Clint in Homewood, Alabama in September 1976.

• If you haven't read the book that it is based on I would commend it to you. The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. The movie was pretty faithful to the book but I have probably re-read the book a dozen times because it is so well written and like William Faulkner once wrote, "Maybe this time, we'll get over that wall." :wink_smile:

Yes, I have read The Killer Angels, more than once. Great book that doesn't flinch at the horrors of the Civil War.

• Will have to look for that. Must have been after my movie going to stage.
    Last night I watched The Horse Soldiers again. I Will figure out the Kennedy Fall and if that was why Duke had that reaction on his face. Dooley didn't think it was out of the norm for him, but then Dooley is of Island in the Sky fame where Duke had LOTS of out of norm facial expressions, LOL! Thanks for all you do, Peter. KP

It's my favorite of Eastwood's movies. First saw it in the theater as a pre-game movie for my high school football team. Saw The Shootist the following week. I have always found it funny that Bill McKinney played Red Legs Terrell in Josie Wales and Cobb in Shootist and they were playing next to each other in the "Fourplex" in my home town. So McKinney was being killed almost simultaneously by the Duke and Clint in Homewood, Alabama in September 1976.

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• While I'm generally not a fan of remakes I did enjoy the Russel Crowe version of this a few years ago. Partly because it at least helped keep the western alive as a genre. Every western that is made will automatically draw a comparison to 50-60s westerns and cause people to look back. That's always a good thing.

• Will have to look for that. Must have been after my movie going to stage.
    Last night I watched The Horse Soldiers again. I Will figure out the Kennedy Fall and if that was why Duke had that reaction on his face. Dooley didn't think it was out of the norm for him, but then Dooley is of Island in the Sky fame where Duke had LOTS of out of norm facial expressions, LOL! Thanks for all you do, Peter. KP

Find it...watch it....if you find a DVD with the Eastwood discussion as a bonus feature watch it too. There are many, of whom I am one, who think this is one of the ten best westerns ever made. I don't claim to have seen them all but I luv me sum Josie Wales.