What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,550 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Yesterday watched Apache with son. Burt Lancaster and Jean Peters...it doesn't hold up so well, I'm afraid. DirecTV gave it 4 stars but I'd say it was average at best...

We're burning moonlight.

• Saw the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges and Matt Damon. It was well enough on its own, I suppose but I'm not certain I liked the ending.

The John Wayne film had a better ending. I liked that old Rooster had a place to be buried. It was comforting to the character that he knew he wouldn't wind up in a cemetery in a town where no one knew who he was. There was a sort of symmetry that he now had some family who cared about him.

The ambiguity of the survival of LaBoeuf's character wasn't unpleasant. I wonder what that was about. Are they planning a sequel? In the book LaBoeuf died as a result of his head wound. In the first first film, John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn said it right, 'LaBoeuf helped when he was already dead.' What a wonderful epitaph.

We're burning moonlight.

• Gorch:

Not sure if this is a genuine western, it's sort of transplanted, but it's "Quigley Down Under".
    One of my favorites.

O.K., it´s a western, because Quigley came from the West! - I like this movie. You have to watch "Last Stand at Saber River" with Tom Selleck too!

Sunset - Bruce Willis and James Garner as Tom Mix and Wyatt Earp, What a pair!

Great modern Western movie!

I went on watching episodes of Big Valley season 2.

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• Finally scored Rooster Cogburn with John Wayne, Katherine Hepburn and Anthony Zerbe. John Wayne's in fine form with Katherine Hepburn as a Bible-totin' spinster on the trail to find the men who murdered her ancient father.

EncoreWest gives it 2.5 stars but I think it's better than that. I say at least 3 or 3.5. It's worth a viewing if only to see Rooster again. I loved it. :wink_smile:

We're burning moonlight.

• At long last I screened Tell Them Valdez Is Coming.

Not quite certain how to describe this one, except to say that I'm glad I've seen it. It doesn't hold up very well but for the time it came out it likely was startling and thought-provoking. Burt Lancaster was great as was the redhead female lead whose name I've lost now I've deleted the film. Anyone help out here?

We're burning moonlight.

• Saw the first few episodes of: Whispering Smith w/ Audie Murphy. The first episode was mediocre at best as well as the second, but it seems to finally be picking up and getting interesting with the third. It was rather interesting to see a ""raw"" Robert Redford in an episode as a young gunslinger and also as well as Richard Chamberlain. Richard Devon was also in an episode. He must have "made-the-rounds" on TV a lot in the late 50s and early 60s. Saw him in an episodes of Wanted:Dead or Alive and I think even in Zorro.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..