What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,448,777 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Watched Winchester 73 really good picture, thought Stewart and McNally were fantastic it's a pity McNally didn't have a better career. I enjoyed how the gun brought bad luck to whoever possessed it and how separate stories all came together at the end, a very good Western, my second favourite of the Mann-Stewart collaborations after the excellent The Man from Laramie.

• It is kind of like Duke saying after Kirk upstaged him a few times by his horse mounting techniques, that anyone can mount a horse like that if you surround it with trampolines, LOL. Well, after I got to know him better, I just figured he thought he was supposed to act as he did. And after hearing on here about the mounting techniques, I can only figure the same....he was doing what he thought would please the audience. And, as HE was obviously doing them himself,I think it did. So, if there were trampolines as Duke said.....who cares? I couldn't see them. Why use a stunt double if you can do it yourself, LOL?
    Sorry, I get wound up and forget to stop. Thanks again, KEITH

Thanks for sharing this tidbit. :))):I wondered how he did those cheesy mounts. I knew he was too heavy to leap into the saddle so lightly. :wink_smile: Lame. Smaller men like Robert Blake could leap up without artificial assistance, they'd do it in full camera frame: left hand on saddle horn, fly up into the seat and light like gracefully a bird, it's a beautiful thing to see. The larger men, the heavier and more muscular ones like Kirk Douglas (and Richard Boone, they were in a film together), they can't do that.

Sure he's a nice fellow, but anyone who uses any sort of a trick mount outside a rodeo gives me giggle fits. Cowboys don't usually do that sort of thing unless they're trying to impress their friends...or when they've been drinking...

We're burning moonlight.

• Just watched High Noon. One of the best movies I've ever seen in any genre. It's all about people making choices when the stakes are life and death.

Cooper acting knocked my socks off. He's in almost every scene, understated but powerful.

I know Duke objected to Cooper's throwing his badge in the dirt at the movie's end. Given everything that happened before, it made sense to me.

• Just watched High Noon. One of the best movies I've ever seen in any genre. It's all about people making choices when the stakes are life and death.

Cooper acting knocked my socks off. He's in almost every scene, understated but powerful.

I know Duke objected to Cooper's throwing his badge in the dirt at the movie's end. Given everything that happened before, it made sense to me.

Need to watch that one again, Nordy. Thanks for your post! Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• The Wild Bunch.

It's INCREDIBLY over-rated, IMHO. It's a good story, reasonably well acted, but it begins to get a bit muddy, and the editing (even for the time) is clumsy throughout.

A couple of director/producer friends (that I've mentioned here before) told me that the prevailing attitude at the time among the "intellegencia" in town was that Peckinpah was the "new" John Ford.

In keeping with the trend of the day, he tended toward the "revisionist" approach, but after a little while, he alienated everyone who was anyone with his personality and drinking issues.

NO ONE, and those who make movies agree, could "out-Ford John Ford," even though it's been tried many times.

• I watched the first 20 minutes of the shootist then turned it off, my two favorite actors are in it, and I love happy days but I just found it too raw.

Hi G. You didn't give it a chance. The guy who went with us the first time I saw it in the theater almost ruined the whole movie for us.....all very staunch Duke fans. But, as it went along, he got more and more quiet. Duke showed a side that was completely outside his norm in some places.......others, he was still Duke. Have to take that back. Throughout, he was Duke....just an older one who was dying. He acted as if I would have expected him to in that situation. His facial expressions were incredible. There was chaos and there was laughter.

His accepting the fact that he was dying and his interactions with Jimmy Stewart were gut wrenching for a Duke fan......also for a Stewart fan as he played his part well in that his explanations to JB Books were extrememly difficult for him.....he LIKED Books. But, by the time Books left the Doc's office the first go around, and the telling of where he got the pillow was pretty much the end of Book's feeling sorry for himself. Oh, he still had the scene to go through with the Doc on just HOW he was going to die, but he had already accepted it as a fact.

The rest of the movie was the building of relationships, Books' trying to get as much living in as possible, and the planning of his death, which thanks to the Doc's few sentences, would not be one of a slow living hell kind of dying.

This is one of Duke's movies that you just cannot miss G. It was Duke's last gift to us.....think of it that way. If he didn't show he could truly act in The Shootist, he NEVER did!

This last time, I have watched it about times 20. Today was the first instance there were absolutely no tears....not one. I believe it took me that many times to truly understand and appreciate this movie as Duke meant for us to......I am a bit slow, you know.

So, G., do yourself a favor, get ready emotionally, and then sit down and watch it...all the way through. This is life as real as it gets. No "window dressing" in this one. And IF Duke had really been JB Books as he was portrayed, the end was right on the money! Remember, he still WON in the end........it was the third eye that got him.....just as he had wanted it to.

Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE