What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,467,356 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "I need dough, and plenty of it." are the words of Fred C. Dobbs in "Treasure of the Sierra Madre".
    Wasn't sure that this qualifies as a western since it takes place in 1925, but decided that all the trappings and Mexican banditos nudge it into that genre.

Great movie, with timeless performances and one of the best endings ever. I ran this after watching Spielberg's "War Horse" just to cleanse my mental palate.

We deal in lead, friend.

• Never heard of Operator 13. Do now and will track it down, looks great!

I went into this one blind but--I thought it was very good. You will not regret getting a copy of it. This title as far as I know--is strictly an MoD title: Made on Demand and available through the Warner Bros website. I got it on sale when they had that one day 5 for $50 sale. I saved I figger--around $40 off the titles.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I wish Warner Archives were available directly to the UK. I see all these offers and can never take advantage of them.
    All of the Warner Archive titles I have bought to date have been fantastic transfers so I keep getting them even if they are really expensive!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Rio Lobo....TP. Keith Old Plimpton didn't last long, did he, LOL?

He made a great documentary on this set

Plimpton! Shootout at Rio Lobo. 1970 (50 mins)

Written by William Kronick and George Plimpton

This rare documentary, made during the actual
    Old Tucson Location shooting of Rio Lobo,
    follows journalist George Plimpton, from his arrival
    on set, to his first meeting with 'The Duke'
    and his off-set training, so that he can effectively
    deliver his one line, minus his Harvard accent!

The results are hilarious, and show the humorous
    'mickey-taking' that Duke and his supporting cast
    (Jack Elam, Victor French, David Huddlestone
    and Jennifer O'Neil) were so skilled at

George finds out the best way to acquire
    a Western drawl,and a western walk,
    who better to learn from then Duke!!!

This is a must have doc, not to be missed.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I saw this documentary before I saw the movie.......couldn't wait to see the movie after it. Had known Plimpton from Paper Lion, with Alan Alda. After that, I read ALL I could of his exploits, and his books. Seemed a cool thing for a journalist to do. Yes, very much enjoyed the documentary. I totally agree with Ethan on this one. IF you can find it...you have to see it. When he said "Hilarious", we wasn't kidding. You willl come away from this one very glad you took the time to find it! If I remember it correctly, the shotgun "rig up" was just great.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is "mickey-taking"? Feel as if I am missing something here.....all I can think of is "mickey" meaning Irish in some form, therefore "putting one over on an Irishman", and that doesn't seem to fit here.

Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• I wish Warner Archives were available directly to the UK. I see all these offers and can never take advantage of them.
    All of the Warner Archive titles I have bought to date have been fantastic transfers so I keep getting them even if they are really expensive!

Let me know on what you like and we can deal. I have no probs ordering for you if you want? Let me know--C.

• Thanks so much Carl. I really appreciate it.
    Post on here the next time they have a sale and I'll go a little mad!

Will do. I get email updates from them all the time when they are running specials as well as when new titles come available. Just got one today and they are advertising Shazam and somehting else. Im no Shazam fan--partly because the comics company responsible--pinched that character whose real name is Captain Marvel.

• Will do. I get email updates from them all the time when they are running specials as well as when new titles come available. Just got one today and they are advertising Shazam and somehting else. Im no Shazam fan--partly because the comics company responsible--pinched that character whose real name is Captain Marvel.

A bit of a comic book fan I see!
    How do you think I felt growing called Peter Parker, especially when I ended up working in the design dept at Warner UK on Batman/Superman stuff! Lol!

• A bit of a comic book fan I see!
    How do you think I felt growing called Peter Parker, especially when I ended up working in the design dept at Warner UK on Batman/Superman stuff! Lol!

I am. I first and for many years--only collected the War Titles available and the Westerns. All I colllected for years was:

Sergeant Rock. (Used to be called: Our Army At War)
    Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandoes.
    The Losers.
    G.I. Combat.
    Enemy Ace.
    Blitzkrieg.
    Nam.
    Fightin' Army.
    Fightin' Navy.
    Fightin' Marines.
    Fightin' Airforce.
    All Out War. (Featured the Viking Warrier who was transported to WWII somehow)
    Blackhawk.
    Weird War.
    The Unknown Soldier.
    Jonah Hex.
    Two-Gun Kid.
    Scalphunter. I always liked the Indian "Star" Ke wah noh te
    All American Men of War.
    And there were many other titles form long since "deceased" comic book publishing companies whose names ive long forgotten.

Then about 1989 or so--I finally broke down and started collecting Superhero stuff-mainly because all the war titles got cancelled for some dumb reason.

I collected all the Batman, Superman titles. Captain America--the Avengers, Silver Surfer (I dont know why?) all the Spiderman titles, Iron man, Daredevil (which I really liked) all the Justice League titles--and all the Green Lantern and Flash titles--all of which at that time--were excellent titles) and I also collected Fantastic Four and I forget what else?

The WB Batman and Superman stuff is excellent. I buy a few DvDs here and there. The Batman and Superman animation is also done in the old Fleischer style of art. Fleischer came out back int eh late 30s or early 40s--with Superman coons--cant recall how many? maybe 18??? and those were fantastic to say the least.

One that surprised everyone who knew me then--that I got into--were the: Teenage Mutant ninja Turtles.

One thing that highly surprised me to find out-and just recently too while watching: The Defector--was that I had not known that The Smurfs had been around as an animated cartoon, since the 60s.

• Damn you must have a warehouse of stuff Carl!

The fleischer Superman cartoons are seminal bits of animation, they still look good today. did you know Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow was inspired by a Fleischer Superman episode? You probably do actually! Lol!

I'm a big Supes fan but only collect stuff from the 40s, 50s and the first Christopher Reeves movie. Seems like I live my life in the past as I wasn't even around back then, I was for Reeve though!

I'm waiting to see if we get our knuckles wrapped for being soooo off topic we should be on a comic book forum!:wink_smile:

• What, no Kid Colt comics? I still have a few of mine. I also have a Jonah Hex and a Two Gun Kid. Never was into the Super Heroes, though.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "