What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,453,662 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 7 2006, 07:49 PM
    I noticed James Drury from The Virginian in a small role. Is he still alive and working?

Mike

[snapback]37599[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

Here's the IMDb link for you,
    and yep he seems to be still going!!

[ATTACH]1112]

James Drury

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• Thanks Ethan

Nice to see he is still with us.

I see he was in Forbidden Planet too. I must look out for him.

I have the feeling he was in Shenadoah somewhere. His name doesn't appear in the credits and I know Doug Mc Clure (Trampas) play one of Jimmy Stewart's sons.

Can anyone confirm or deny

Mike

Originally posted by DukePilgrim@Dec 7 2006, 10:28 PM
    I have the feeling he was in Shenadoah somewhere. His name doesn't appear in the credits and I know Doug Mc Clure (Trampas) play one of Jimmy Stewart's sons.

Can anyone confirm or deny
    Mike

[snapback]37607[/snapback]

Hi Mike,

At the moment, can't associate James Drury with Shenandoah,
    but Doug McClure, played Lt. Sam in the movie,
    but he wasn't his son, but a future Son-in-Law

[ATTACH]1113]

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England

• I never have seen this movie from the beginning nor can ever catch the name but, it stars Audie Murphy, Brian Donlevy, (early roles for James Best aka Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane in Dukes of Hazzard, as well as Tony Curtis and I forget who else is in it--possibly Charles Drake?) Anyway, this movie is set during the Civil War and Donlevy is portraying Col. Quantrell and Murph is Jesse James.)

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Showdown
    -Dean Martin, Rock Hudson

Decent film with Hudson as a sheriff who has to track down a train robber (Martin) who used to be his best friend. Not great but entertaining.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Michael Curtiz's Dodge City. Fairly good, but would be much better if I could see Errol Flynn's charm

I don't believe in surrenders.

• Hi Mike, much appreciated and many thanks. I saw probably 3/4th of the movie and I thought it was a very good movie as well. I think i'll see if it is released to DvD yet. I only have two movies with Audie Murphy unfortunately.

• Hi Mike, thank you for the links. Nice to know what of his is on DvD. I only have so far: To Hell And Back and The Red Badge Of Courage. Shame about RBoC though, it was butchered by the studio before it was released. I think almost half of that film was gutted :( Still, what's left is still good to watch. As well, it is nice seeing Bill Mauldin, Arthur Hunnicutt, Royal Dano and John Dierkes; in it as well.

• Hi Ringo

I have To Hell & Back and Night Passage. I agree with you over Red Badge of Courage. Wasnt it a row between Louis B Mayer and Dory Schary that ended it being edited to 69 minutes an unbelievable length of film for a feature in the 1950s.

It is a wonder that some kind of restored version hasnt been put together as Huston was a big enough name director.

Such is life :(

Mike

• I watched Red River last night for the first time. Great movie, but the 2 women they had in the movie were very irritating. I suppose that might have been the opinion of women when this was made: talkative, a bit loopy and slightly aggravating. I can understand their roles, but they should have been way better written.

• Hi Mike, I think Mayer and Schary did have soem problems about the movie but, i'm not knowledgable on what or why. As far as restoration of it, I heard that the cut footage was erither lost or destroyed? not sure which? I'd love to see that movie the way John Huston made it.

Best regards--C.

• Hi Ringo

Actually Red Badge of courage lead to the demise of Louis B Mayer as the head of MGM after 25 years when he went to Nick Schenck to appeal to him over Dory Schary's choice of films.

"One of the final straws would involve the production of The Red Badge of Courage (1951), when Mayer appealed to Schenck regarding his disapproval of the picture (Mayer's instincts proved correct; the picture, although now considered a minor classic, failed financially)."

The running time of the movie was originally over 2 hours and in the arguements over who ran MGM it was cut down to 69 minutes.

Nobody seems to think that any of the lost footage exists anymore. Considering Mayer's spite it was proberably destroyed.

There was some rumours that some of the film was shot in colour and stock footage used in Rainbow County but this seems to be more speculation than fact.

There was also a 1974 TV movie remake which I have vague memories of seeing
    once but it left little impression.

A very realistic movie on war which was caught up in studio politics.

Batttleground another good war movie which Mayer hated
    but at least it is intact.

Best

Mike

• Hi Mike, I had not known that about what happened to Meyer because of TRBoC. By the way, the remake of TRBoC stars: Richard "John Boy Walton from: The Waltons" Thomas, as the character that Audie Murphy played. I remember seeing this movie when it aired and I don't remember if it was very good or not. I do seem to remember that it did keep my attention when I saw it but, that mught be attributed to being a kid who got to stay up late to watch a war flick.

Oh and if interested, Richard Thomas also played the lead character "Paul" (played by Lew Ayers) in the remake of All's Quiet on the Western Front. I mention it because I thought it a nice coinsidence that Thomas played the lead character in two remakes of classic movies.