What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,458,630 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "The Outcast"
    -John Derick

A young cowboy returns home after several years and tries to reclaim his late fathers ranch, that was stolen by his uncle.

Average western adventure. Nothing great nor awful just...average

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Hi Vera, the first time I saw this movie, I did not care much for it but, every time I watch it, I like it a bit more and more. I still don't think it was one of Coopers best movies though-not in the same league as movies like: Vera Cruz, Sgt York, Jones If Coming, Pride of the Yankees, Springfield Rifle, Ball of Fire and Beau Geste. I think the reason why I like this movie is because of the performances of the main actors in it.

Hi Carl,
    After you post I watched They Came to Cordura again and like it more (never mind what Duke said). With me it is rather often when I lake movie more when watch it for the second time. I think it is mostly becouse of the language problems - I simply understand more from the second screening. From other Cooper's titles you mention - I saw yet only Vera Cruz and Sgt York. But hope to see others soon.

Yesterday watched Cecil de Mille Union Pacific and was greatly dissapointed by it.

Regards,
    Vera

• Vera, those other titles are some great films with Gary Cooper. You can also include The Westerner as well. Also, if I could afford it at this time, i'd gladly buy you the 2-disc five movie set of Gary Cooper movies. This set has among others, Beau Geste, and The General Died At Dawn.

Some of the last Westerns I saw were on last night which was part of a Roy Rogers marathon on TCM. I started the day with Dark Command w/ the Duke, saw Bells of San Angelo, and ended the RR marathon with: Don't Fence Me In. These movies also had George "Gabby" Hayes.

Vera, Roy Rogers sings "Don't Fence Me In" in that movie with the same name. You might remember that this was one of the songs I sent to you? ;-)) It's also one of my all time most favorite songs. Gabby Hayes played the part of: Wildcat Kelly, in this movie. :thumbs_up:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Something wierds going on here. I posted twice, was going to delete one post because the other had not posted and I get booted out of the site, come back in and now neither post is here?

Anyway, here is my 3rd attempt.

This morning on AMC, I watched: Fort Apache w/ the Duke, Henry Fonda, Pedro Armendariez, Ward Bond, Victor McLaglen, Jack Pennick and Hank Wardon.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi Carl,
    I already received one Cooper collection and watched Springfield Rifle from there which you highly recommended. And I like this film too.

Also saw great documentary about Cooper hosted by Clint Eastwood.
    Regards,
    Vera

• "Rough Night In Jericho" (1967)
    -Dean Martin, George Peppard

A former deputy and a strong-willed widow determine to stop a ruthless town boss.

Well made movie. Good plot, good acting, Good action and it was interesting to Dean Martin as a villain.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• I've spent the past 2 or 3 weeks watching (off and on) the first season of "Gunsmoke", which I ordered from DDDVD a month or so ago. It kicked off with an introduction by the Duke. Matt, Kitty, Doc and Chester brought back a lot of memories. Sure wish those clowns in Hollyweird would produce some new Westerns, whether for the big or small screen.

Forgot to mention - that first season had some interesting guest stars.......Charles Bronson, Chuck Connor and a few others.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Just watched "Tall in the Saddle" and each time I see it, it goes up a few notches in my like for the film. It was Gabby Hayes' best performance, and had his classic line about Wayne: "Oh boy, has somebody come to town!!" This statement seems to me to mean more now than what it did in the film, because Tall in the Saddle was the FIRST Wayne western that captured all the elements that would become Wayne's permanent western personna that would carry him all the way through The Shootist. Earlier westerns were different, because in Dark Command, Stagecoach, In Old California, In Old Oklahoma, The Shepherd of the Hills (if that one is truly a western), Wayne's character had a naivety around the edges, and his character talked too much. No more starting with Tall in the Saddle. Wayne was tough, smart, and in control both in word and action. Example:

Old woman: "I saw you, I saw you strike that poor man"
    Wayne: "Yes Ma'am, just as hard as I could"

"...all of this and General Price that baby sister makes it back to Yell county" --Rooster Cogburn, True Grit.

• MacLintock, which collector edition I picked up in Helsinki this week. I found out that they had released many of new DVD editions for Finland lately, amoung them collector editions of Batjac releases, new two-disc Rio Bravo, Cowboys and colored Lone Star Duke movies. All of them labeled spesially as a 100 anneversary relases.

I like Maclintock for a long time, but all thia time had a poor copy. So now I was completly striked by this DVD (how much our impression depends on DVD quality!)
    Regards,
    Senta:hyper: