What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,461,293 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• rough night in jericho.
    dean martin as the town villian george perrard as the hero and jean simmons as the girl they both want. not bad but not a great film.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• "The Missing" (2003)
    -Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchet

In 1885 New Mexico, a frontier medicine woman forms an uneasy alliance with her estranged father when her daughter is kidnapped by an Apache brujo.

Basically a reworking of "The Searchers" plot line. and while this film is not a good as the John Wayne classic, it still is a fine western adventure. Tommy Lee Jones is one of the few modern actors that truly looks like he belongs in westerns. A very good movie.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)
    -James Stewart, John Wayne

Senator Ranse Stoddard returns to the city of Shinbone in the Wild West, to go to the funeral of his friend, Tom Doniphon. To a journalist, who's wondering what the senator is doing in Shinbone, he tells how his career started as "the man who shot Liberty Valance". As a lawyer he came to Shinbone to bring law and order to the west by means of law books. When the stagecoach is held up by outlaws, he is savagely beaten by Liberty Valance. He survives the attack and is nursed by his future wife, Hallie. Hallie is being wooed by a local rancher, Tom Doniphon. Ranse teaches the people of Shinbone to read and write, all the while trying to find a way of bringing Valance to justice. He finally takes up a gun and faces Valance in a menacing shootout...

One of the greatest western films ever made. Great cast, excellent acting and terrific action. A true classic.

• "The Searchers" (1956)
    Ethan Edwards, returned from the Civil War to the Texas ranch of his brother, hopes to find a home with his family and to be near the woman he obviously but secretly loves. But a Comanche raid destroys these plans, and Ethan sets out, along with his 1/8 Indian nephew Martin, on a 5 year-long journey to find the niece kidnapped by the Indians under Chief Scar. But as the quest goes on, Martin begins to realize that his uncle's hatred for the Indians is beginning to spill over onto his now-assimilated niece. Martin becomes uncertain whether Ethan plans to rescue Debbie...or kill her.

In my opinion, this movie is damn near perfect. Not only is this Wayne's best film, but it's probably the best American film ever made. Great cast, scenery, action and acting. A true classic.

• The last western I watched? There are two, the new 3:10 To Yuma and The Assasination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. First, 3:10 To Yuma was quite good. It remains fairly faithful to the basic storyline of the original with Glen Ford but, there a few things they did differently in this one and I won't go into detail in case some of you haven't seen it yet. Christian Bale plays the Van Heflin part of the small time rancher who volunteers to take the killer, Russell Crowe playing the Glen Ford part, to the train that'll take him the Yuma prison. He's only doing it for the money but, despite a few kinks in their trip, he remains faithful to his cause. I liked this movie very much.
    As for the Jesse James film, I had some misgivings about it. It had been sitting on the shelf for about three years undergoing re-edit after re-edit. Many thought this would go straight to video. However, one review I read gave it high marks so, I said what the heck, I went to see it. At first, it seemed kind of slow and I thought it was going to be boring two and half hours.But, it just got better and better as it went along. Basically, it tells of the last year or so of Jesse James life and how he's digging new gang members out of the gutter to keep his way of life alive. Brad Pitt plays Jesse in a dark, paranoid way which is probably how the real Jesse was in those last days. Sam Shephard plays Frank James but is only in the first hour of the movie. Sam Rockwell plays Charlie Ford and Casey Affleck(Ben's brother), plays Bob Ford as a kid so enamored of Jesse, he'd do anything to be just like him. Affleck does the best job in the whole movie. After it was over, I found I really liked this movie. I also heard a rumor that when this comes to DVD, it'll contain another 1 1/2 of footage that was cut out. Seems like it was filmed as a 4 hour feature but, the studio bosses wanted it down to a more watchable 2 1/2 hours.

• watched Chisum just a couple of days ago, late at night as i worked all weekend a good movie to watch just for the fun of it

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• "Pursued" (1947)
    -Robert Mitchum, Teresa Wright
    *spoilers*
    Mitchum plays a jaded Civil War vet who's pursued into the west by inner demons from childhood and real life killers in the present. His love for his stepsister (Teresa Wright) leads to a fatal gunfight with her brother. Angry and intent on seeking revenge on their wedding night,Wright marries Mitchum, but the arrival of a mysterious stranger out to settle a score with Mitchum sidetracks her and leads to a startling conclusion.

Very weird western. Light on action and heavy on melodrama. It's kind of a western soap opera. Beautiful black and white cinematography give the film a mystery kind of atmosphere. Very different but entertaining.

• Hi all,

As you know I got to watch "THE SEARCHERS"
    on the big screen a few weeks. They showed it in
    the original VistaVision, a format that went for height
    instead of width on screen. I noticed a couple of things
    while watching it then, so I watched it again last night
    to see if I had somehow missed them on DVD but I'm
    glad to say that they are not seen. The first is when
    Jeffery Hunter and Ken Curtis are in the kitchen and
    about to fight over Vera Miles. As they are talking, you
    can clearly see above them the boom microphone, that
    in itself is nothing, you see that in a lot of movies. But
    the second was a little funnier. When Henry Brandon as
    Scar comes out of his tepee and throws a stone at a dog
    to stop it barking, behind him you can see the set is on a
    soundstage and above the blue painted wall you can see
    three or four big stage lights, they remain in view for the
    whole scene as Brandon turns from the camera and walks
    away. It didn't spoil the movie but I wonder why John Ford
    let that one go.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• "Pale Rider" (1985)
    -Clint Eastwood

Story of a mysterious Preacher who protects a small group of miners from a larger mining company trying to take their claims.

I like this movie. I know the plot is taken from "Shane" and it's yet another Clint Eastwood spooky gunslinger, but I've always enjoyed this film. Not very original but lots of fun to watch.

• I'm not sure, but I think that these extraneous appearances are taken care of by a technique call "masking" which is the responsiblity of the exhibitor. Vista Vision is a widescreen process, but not as wide as Panavision. The theater should have masked off the top and bottom of the film so those parts did not show up.
    As near as my memory recalls, this is what was the problem.
    Cheers - Jay:beer:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi all,

Jay, thanks for clearing that one up.
    That's what I love about this wonderful site,
    there's always someone with the right answer.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Oh, I'd like to see The Searchers someday in widescreen - it is my favorite movie.
    This week I watched Lucky Texan in colorised version (it goes under the title Gold Strike River) - picked up DVD when I was in Finland. Find it very interesting. When I will go to Finland again this mounth I will buy other two of colorized restored old Duke features. Something fresh about them I feel. Haven't anybody seen them. At zone one they go all in one collection. And here in Eurobe in separate releases.
    Regards,
    Senta

• "War Paint" (1953)
    -Robert Stack, Peter Graves

Lieut. Billings and his army patrol are ordered to deliver a new peace treaty to the Indian Commissioner, who is missing. They have nine days to get the treaty to Chief Gray Cloud or there will be war. Chief's son Taslik offers to guide them. But as their water runs low and conflicts escalate, they can't help wondering why Taslik is wearing war paint.

Average western adventure, with all the crossing the desert cliches.

• Well, this is the first time I watched this show in near 20 years - lastnight, I watched three episodes of: The Rifleman. Wally World is selling a 3 ep. DvD for $1 buck. The quality and sound aren't perfect but, they were still enjoyable to see.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..