What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,996 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,542,415 times. The latest Post () was by ZS_Maverick.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• "Cahill: Untied States Marshal" (1973)
    - John Wayne

Plot: IMDB
    J.D. Cahill is the toughest U.S. Marshal they've got, just the sound of his name makes bad guys stop in their tracks, so when his two young boy's want to get his attention they decide to rob a bank. They end up getting more than they bargained for.

Phantom's Review: One of Wayne's later Movies. Not a classic, but a good solid western movie. Plenty of action, a good story and some fine acting. Very entertaining.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Today is Oct 26. On this date in 1881 was the legendary Gunfight at the O.K. Corral,
    To commemorate this historic event I'll be watching these movies:

"My Darling Clementine" (1946)
    -Henry Fonda

"Tombstone" (1993)
    -Kurt Russell

"Gunfight At The O.K. Corral" (1957)
    -Burt Lancaster. Kirk Douglas

Edited once, last by Phantomstranger ().

• "Angel and the Badman" The Remake with Lou Diamond Phillips and Luke Perry.

Not bad, but not great either. It tells the same story that the original does, it just does it at a much slower pace...one of the faults of the "Hallmark/Made for TV Westerns. Duke's grandson Brendan Wayne does an allright job as Randy McCall.

In the old movie, my favorite character was Marshal McLintock, and while he's still a good character in this version (with a different name), he just lacks that mysterious guardien angel-like apperance that Harry Carey brought to the original.

Oh, and there's no Arizona scenary and no Chili Bill in this one! That's a major fault too!

Not bad, but too slow in parts, and not something I'll be re-watching.

• THE MAN FROM LARAMIE
    An excellent western directed by Anthony Mann with Jimmy Stewart. :teeth_smile:

The Tin Star
    Another good western by Anthony Mann this time with Henry Fonda and Anthony Perkins. :thumbs_up:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• "Curse Of The Undead" (1959)

A Halloween staple at my house. The movies first vampire western. Atmospheric and fun with some good western action.

• Centennial-mini-series parts 1,2,3 & 4 of??????? I remember liking it the first couple of ties I watched it, but it's ben probably 20 years since I last saw it and on rewatching it now, I sure don't remember it being the same shows as I saw today. I do remember Robert Conrad and Richard Chamberlain being prominent characters in it and Conrads-Pasquenal (SP?) character, but I don't remember much else from this series.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• This afternoon I watched, for at least the 8th or 9th time, "Ulzana's Raid", which is one of my favorite Burt Lancaster pictures.

I nearly always read the IMDB biographies of major stars and so after I watched the movie, I read Burt's IMDB biography. There were at least two things in that bio I didn't agree with. One was the allegation that Burt's well-known political liberalism nearly always showed through in his films. I disagree - in fact, I can't remember ever seeing a Burt Lancaster movie in which his political preference was blatantly on display. To me, that was the mark of really great actors; that they were able to keep their personal opinions to themselves. Paul Newman, whom I consider the best actor Hollywood ever produced, was notoriously liberal. But you sure never would have known it from his movies.

Second was the allegation that Burt's career went into a steep decline in the 60s and 70s, following his Oscar win in "Elmer Gantry". I also disagree with that opinion. I thought some of his very best movies were made in the 60s and 70s, such as "The Train", "Lawman", "Ulzana's Raid" and several others.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• YES I appreaciate Burt Lancaster too. I also like Valdez is Coming and The Leopard. The Birdman of Alcatraz is my favourite movie with him. :teeth_smile:

LAST WESTERN: Tombstone
    Great one with Kurt Russel ! :shades_smile:

"You're too good to give a chance to." John Wayne as Cole Thornton in El Dorado (1966)

• A personal set of favorite Lancaster films are: Vera Cruz and also Tough Guys. I thought he was grea as an aged ex-con who was with Kirk Douglas. I went to see that fine movie at the theaters and it was a shame it didn't seem to make much money. It also has other favorites of mine in it like: Charles Durning, Dana Carvy, Eli Wallach and Billy Barty.

Last western watched was: The Plainsman w/ Gary Cooper.

• MY NAME IS NOBODY
    A good one with Henry Fonda. :tank:

• E L D O R A D O

Still one of my favourite Western. For me it's impossible to say which I like more : Rio Bravo or El Dorado . :shades_smile:

• I caught part of High noon-this evening. I wasn't in the mood to waytch it so I watched some of another episode of Centennial. Jake and Mike Pasqunel both were killed off finally.

• RED RIVER
    A great Movie and always enjoyable ! One of my favourite Westerns of all Time. :cowboy: