What Was The Last Western You Watched?

There are 5,995 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 1,474,182 times. The latest Post () was by Mboat.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Ride the High Country. Really great movie, and it was written for John Wayne & Gary Cooper. But Coop passed before filming.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• I watched two Westerns starring Audie Murphy:

Duel at Silver Creek, a good old fashioned B-Western movie with a lot of riding, chasing and shooting! The story of a young gambler, who became Deputy Sheriff to catch the bandits who have killed his father. I liked it.

The Guns of Fort Petticoat, was a bad one... Murphy as a Cavalry Officer commanding a punch of wifes fighting against Indians in Texas at the end of the Civil War. Sounds like a good idea, but was maybe the worst Audie Murphy Western I´ve ever seen!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• "Return Of The Gunfighter" (1967)
    -Robert Taylor. Chad Everett

Plot: IMDB

An aging gunman and a wounded drifter come upon a young Mexican girl, and agree to help her avenge the death of her parents, who was murdered for their land

Phantom's Review: This movie is terrific. The plot is a bit standard but the performances from the actors and the action more than makes up for it. A highly entertaining movie.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• in the last few weeks I caught up on a few Duke movies...

"The Alamo" (the Director's cut) Had to dust off my VHS and celebrate Texas Independence Day! (Which is March 2 by the way)

"The Searchers"

"True Grit" (Still one of my all time favorite movies)

"War of the Wildcats" Good, fun movie from the 40's that I haven't seen in years.

Return Of The Gunfighter" (1967)
    -Robert Taylor. Chad Everett

A real fine western movie! I videotaped it, as it ran on TV many years ago...

"War of the Wildcats"

That´s a funny one! I have a rare colorized German version on video (made now a copy on DVD) and I real enjoyed it too!

"Never apologize. It´s a sign of weakness."

• THE COMANCHEROS.
    This film also has Aissa wayne in a small role with Joan O'brien again playing her mother. This film will also be shown at Winterset this year.

''baby sister i was born game and intend to go out that way.''

• Open Range for the tenth time. I enjoy this film and the shootout at the end is pretty good, and realistic I think (as I've never been in a shootout, so I can just guess).

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• "The Sons of Katie Elder" - good John Wayne flick. If memory serves, this was Duke's first movie following his lung surgery and he was constantly on oxygen when off camera. However, none of this showed on the screen!

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• "Ride The High Country"(1962)
    -Randolph Scott, Joel McCrea

Plot: IMDB
    An ex-lawman is hired to transport gold from a mining community through dangerous territory. But what he doesn't realize is that his partner and old friend is plotting to double-cross him.

Phantom's Review: One of the greats. Scott and McCrea are perfect as the two aging Ex-Lawmen. Excellent performances, cinematography and direction (by Sam Peckinpah) A classic all the way.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• Just saw that movie for the first time last Saturday on TCM and it was great. I'll have to get that one for my collection. Phantom, did you know that movie was initially designed for John Wayne and Gary Cooper? I just found that out too.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Just saw that movie for the first time last Saturday on TCM and it was great. I'll have to get that one for my collection. Phantom, did you know that movie was initially designed for John Wayne and Gary Cooper? I just found that out too.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

Classic Movie Westerns- Ride The High Country

In the triva for the film,, it says that Gary Coper died,
    before filming began, but doesn't say why Duke, didn't appear!

Just going through some old movies,
    watched The Big Stampede.

Best Wishes
    Keith
    London- England