JWMB Feature - Member Map, Members Gallery

There are 57 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 26,500 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker+Feb 23 2006, 03:29 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jay J. Foraker @ Feb 23 2006, 03:29 PM)</div>

<!--QuoteBegin-Jay J. Foraker@May 10 2006, 08:47 AM
    Another bump to the top - I was looking at the member map and see that some more members have placed their coordinates there. There are still a lot of you hiding out there - most notably our Canadian members . . . .

[snapback]31143[/snapback]

Jay,

Thanks for bumping this again! I see some of our newer members have signed onto the map (Panhandle comes to mind), and Keith has gotten himself on the map since our earlier posts, but I still don't see Robbie or Ringo, or our Canadian contingent either (c'mon, Murray, start a trend :D ).

For you newbies who are wondering what we are talking about . . . look near the top of the screen, towards the right, and you should see a link for "Member Map" and all you have to do is click and follow the simple directions. Watch for a minus sign in front of either the latitude or longitude, because that minus sign makes a difference.

Looking forward to seeing more of you on the map!

Chester :newyear:

• Hello All
    Hello Chester and Mrs C I am posting here for the benefit of anyone who has tried and failed to get their balloon on location. I had not read this thread but tried to follow the directions and join the map. I tried a long time ago and was on my third attempt when I sent a mayday to Santa Cruz. Once I put a minus in front of my longitude it worked. I could have done it right first time if I had read this thread. Perhaps the instruction to place the minus could be included at point of entry. Anyway there is a balloon in Canada now. murray :headbonk::headbonk:

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Folks -
    I just took a look at the Member Map and it looks like a number have added their locations since the last time I took a gander :rolleyes: . But there are still a lot of members that have not put their locations on the map :cry2:. So, begging everyone's pardon, I bring this back up to the top B) .
    Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• I don't see the South America one . . . .

You have to scroll down to the very, very bottom.

(after checking again . . . )
    OOPS, it looks like the guy is gone. There was a member there, I remember being surprised by it. Then, more recently, I noticed a few weeks ago, when looking at the map, that even though the list of members was there, none of the markers showed, so maybe after that was resolved, some never made it back onto the map.

What can I say??:embaressed_smile:

Chester :newyear:

• Hello JWMBers,

With so many new members of recent weeks and month's I wanted to let the newer members know about a few features that are available here to registered members.

1. Personal image gallery for hosting images and they don't have to be Duke related but make sure what you upload is not offensive. No nude pictures please!! :glare:. Any image you upload can be set as public, or set to private so no one can view them.
    2. Members Map for plotting your location on top of the Google mapping service. It's interesting to see on a map where everyone is posting from.

There is a "Quick Upload" option to the right of the reply window for you to quickly add any image that you want to display in your post or click the "Open" link and it will show you what you already have in your gallery, so you can then use them in a post. Plus, it also add the image to your personal photo gallery.

I recommend members use the gallery for photos especially if your including them in your posts. This will help us avoid dead/broke image links in posts in the future. So as long as JWMB is online the photos and posts will both be available for viewing.

I have other ideas in the JWMB lab right now, but I'm not in a position to talk about them just yet.

• I have to keep cleaning out my gallery since it doesn't hold much. There's no way it would fit all my Winterset photos. I think my server said it took 1.2 GB for those 180 pics. Eventually I'll make them available to everyone. For now the ones that took photos are gathering them and working with them. I do have a parade video I can share with everyone that would like to see it.

• I have to keep cleaning out my gallery since it doesn't hold much. There's no way it would fit all my Winterset photos. I think my server said it took 1.2 GB for those 180 pics. Eventually I'll make them available to everyone. For now the ones that took photos are gathering them and working with them. I do have a parade video I can share with everyone that would like to see it.

With event pictures like you have DS hi-res images, it wouldn't. But for the average member here it should be fine, if not then I would entertain the idea of upping the 100 picture limit to something more.

Just want to avoid going a few years down the road and have threads with missing images because a free photo host had closed down or the free photo host account was closed.

• With event pictures like you have DS hi-res images, it wouldn't. But for the average member here it should be fine, if not then I would entertain the idea of upping the 100 picture limit to something more.

Just want to avoid going a few years down the road and have threads with missing images because a free photo host had closed down or the free photo host account was closed.

What I've been doing is going back through the posts and removing the images and editing the post. My hi-res images are mostly on my own server and some are on my paid premium account on Photobucket. The only way my images will disappear is if I kick the bucket.

• I noticed that I had to add myself to the map again.

I also noticed that Colorado Bob is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean :ohmy: . Maybe he is on a cruise? :teeth_smile:

clancy

• This map thing is to cool, I put the marker right on my garage roof. i must not have been home. No car in the driveway.

"John Wayne is not just an actor and a very fine actor,John Wayne is the United States of America."

• I noticed that I had to add myself to the map again.

I also noticed that Colorado Bob is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean :ohmy: . Maybe he is on a cruise? :teeth_smile:

clancy

Yep, Bob must have bought a yacht, now he's off to see the world. :shades_smile: Colorado Bob when you get into port login and say hi!