The Shootist (1976)

There are 179 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 251,064 times. The latest Post () was by dukefan1.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Minor correction, Jim Burke, not "Bad" Chuck, doubled Duke for the shootout, and almost did the entire ending due to Duke's illness. Chuck only doubled Duke in the longshots at the very beginning of the film.

• Minor correction, Jim Burke, not "Bad" Chuck, doubled Duke for the shootout, and almost did the entire ending due to Duke's illness. Chuck only doubled Duke in the longshots at the very beginning of the film.

Hi Alamo....just a misunderstanding. Never said Roberson DID some of the ending. It was discussed early on in the filming that he might HAVE to do it all. That would have meant no close-ups.....the finishing of the movie was still "up in the air" at that time. Later, I guess they decided Jim should do some of the strenuous parts that didn't show Duke's face. So glad Duke was able to do the scenes that counted....especially the ending with Gillum. Reams of dialogue were "spoken" in the looks between them.
    Thanks for pointing that out, though.....had forgotten that Jim did a bit of the ending. KEITH

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• No problem, according to the interview Jim Burke did with Tim Lilley, Jim stated they had talked about him doing the entire ending. This was well into shooting due to Duke getting ill when time came to shoot the climax. He stated Duke got a lot better just in time to do the ending.

• Thank you for the photos from my favorite movie. I think this last film Duke made is really something special.

Best wishes, Tina

• You know I ALWAYS thought John Wayne was sick during the shooting of this film. Of course we do have to add he did an uncredited voice over in Star Wars. A fun fact for sure. So why did he not make anymore films after the Shootist? I would be curious to know, because he seem to stay on a pretty consistent shooting schedule there for some time. Was he purposely retiring from the craft?

• I think I read he was sick during filming and it wasn't a year later he had heart surgery to replace a heart valve. He never recovered long enough to do another project. His cancer return just after the heat surgery.

Ah! Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I thought he had health problems when he made this film. It just wasn't the same health problems that would take him a few years later. I remember seeing footage of him between takes for this film telling fellow actors how he sometimes didn't feel well at all and that waking up to a normal day where no ailment afflicted him was a blessing he always welcomed.

• Think he couldn't catch his breath during the shoot, that's when they found his heart issue. None the less, he had major health problems for much of the last 5 years of his life. Getting old sucks!

So very true. At 52 I can honestly say gravity sucks.