How's The Weather

There are 4,432 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 924,658 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• I'll tell you something, it's cold here at night now. wow, I was camping over at an Agricultural Show last night and it got down to -5C, which for this area is unusual, what made it worse was we had to get up early this morning and wash cattle, so it was making the cattle cold, and us cold, water and -5C conditions don't mix.

The youngest member of the JWMB! And proud Cowgirl!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Well I wish it was -5C as it is going to be a scorcher for this neck of the woods for the next couple days. We are hitting 88F today and 92F tomorrow with a heat index of 102F. Now for you folks in the warmer climates this may seem like a walk in the park, but for us Minnesotan's we are not used to this stuff, especially on Memorial Day weekend.

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

Originally posted by SXViper@May 27 2006, 12:57 PM
    Well I wish it was -5C as it is going to be a scorcher for this neck of the woods for the next couple days. We are hitting 88F today and 92F tomorrow with a heat index of 102F. Now for you folks in the warmer climates this may seem like a walk in the park, but for us Minnesotan's we are not used to this stuff, especially on Memorial Day weekend.

[snapback]31611[/snapback]

I HEAR ya buddy, I definately hear ya. Here we are several degrees hotter than you guys and in my area--the humidity factor is always around 80% or higher on most days--making it absolutely miserable. However, since i'm more used to the higher humidity than many others here, I normally will not notice any if the humidity factor is 60% or lower. You all from Calif, Oregon and Arizona; would absolutely feel like you were dying if you came here.

No joke either. We lose several "Winter Texan's" passing away every year because of this combination. :(

I'll try to make this story short as possible.

I used to have a yard card business when I was younger--and made some pretty good money while I was in business. Well, I remember one summer that was really bad when I lived in Kingsville, Texas. I swear that we had one of the most rainiest of summers that I could ever remember--which if I correctly recall; was the summer of 1985.

I did an average of 2-3 yards a day by myself during this time. I was awake and doing my first yard at about 7:30 am and I was usually not done with my last job of the day untill well after dark (appx 10:00 pm)

At every yard, I of course mowed the grass (push mower) edged all concrete and other edges, used a weedeater everywhere I needed to, and I used an oldfashioned hand rake (none of that power-blower or new-fangled contraptions that are used nowdays) then sacked all debris that I had to drive some 10 or so miles to be able to dispose in a proper place.

Anyway, during that particular summer, it rained at lest 2,3 or 4 times a week. Most of the rains we got were VERY quick 5-10 minute showers that lasted just long enough to make the situation much more humid and terrible feeling than before the rain. I felt that I was absolutely dying from the miserable conditions, but I always continued.

Anyway, our family was due to take that "family vacation of a lifetime" near the end of either July or August (two of our most miserable months around here for heat and humidity) OK, vacation time came and we left Kgsvle and made our way to Van Camp, TX and by daybreak we were somewhere in West Tx--I don't recall where. By noontime we finally crossed the border into New Mexico, stayed the night in Carlsbad and I think left Jack & Maria's (some relatives of ours) place the next day. I think we made it that day to Douglas, Az, spending the night there only to survive a bad thunderstorm that spawned tornadoes--which I remember actually hearing one in the distance. Next day was clear as a bell and felt refreshing. We made our way to the Grand Canyon--which was awsome--to say the least. I remember we went through a Bisbee, Az, at some point and we went to Tombstone, Az--where I proceeded to spoil my plans for supper by drinking too much Sarsparilla. :rolleyes:

Either later that evening or sometime early the next morning, we finally made it to California. We visited the Roy Rogers Museum in Victorville, Ca, and I think at sometime (don't recall when) we drove through Backersfield, Calif. I remember going to San Francisco and we went down that famous twisty-turny street in a mobilehome with my crazy brother at the wheel--scaring the heck out of my mother. We went over the Golden Gate Bridge, got cought in a bad traffic jam on one fo the freeways going through Los Angeles, and hrs later finally making it to some relatives house in Norwalk, Ca.

The point to this is that we visited Universal Studios as well as Knottsberry Farms theme park. While standing in line there, I overheard a couple (who were evuidently from the area) complaining about the heat and humidity. The wife said whilest fanning herself with a Japanese folding fan, that she was feeling so miserable because of the heat and humidity and her husband said yes and that he was dying from the humidity.

Well, while we were on our way to the theme park, we listened to some radio station that was telling us what the current temp and humidity was. Well, the temp was about 80 "F" with 6% humidity. I could not feel a thing, was actually chilly to me when I stepped into areas with shade. I also remember thinking when I overheard those people talk, that if they were in Kingsville, Tx at that time; that they WOULD probably die from the heat.

Sorry for a not so short story. It COULD have been much longer but I left out a lot of junk. :rolleyes::D

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hi all.

Well May has come and gone with only
    3 good days of sunshine. The umbrella
    got to see more daylight than I would
    have liked. But June is starting out great!
    I'm sitting in the garden writing this, so
    here's hoping, :lol: :lol: ;)

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

I'll try one of those black beers....THE QUIET MAN.

• Hi all.

The days continue to be sunny, Spending so
    must time in the garden that I am now on first
    name terms with all of my wife's plants :lol: :lol: ;)

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• That's a scary thought Emmanuel!!! :lol: :lol:

If my wife let me in the garden, we would have a sudden funeral for all the plants!!!!

-John Wayne

• Well it was fairly cold this morning, I didn't really appreciate going over to next door's paddock this morning at 5.30 to get my horse out of there place, now I have a houdini horse :P

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Hi all,

Bek, I hope you find your horse soon.

We have an other great day, still talking
    to the plants! :D

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• Well my horse got into next door's yard again since I last posted, so now he's locked up in the stables where he can't get out, thankfully.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• It's swealtering here in South Texas with temperatures hovering close to 100 degrees with an unrelenting sun beating down. No relief expected for the next week. :stunned:
    Cheers - Jay :unsure:

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• We have been in the 80's or warmer since the middle of May, which is very unusual for Minnesota. But they are talking hi of 69 tomorrow and lower to middle 70's all next week.

-John Wayne

• Sunny and very warm at least 92F, and no rain in sight. We are about 28 inches below normal since last September. I call that a drought, but with a drop here and there we don't qualify.

What qualifies is the number of days without rain? I remember one year we had 135 days of no rain in the middle of our hot season. The problem was we got a light rain and I mean light rain in four or five of those days in between the 135 days. The total rain fall was .025 inches of rain. The government told us or the farmers in our area they didn't qualify for drought relief because of all that rain.

That was the same year that Dallas Texas didn't get a drop of rain for 70 something days. They got drought relief from the government. Oh in the 130 something days they got 4 inches. You figure.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi all,

As we continue to enjoy the sun, we
    are off to Donegal for the weekend,

enjoy your weekend everybody.

For those who don't know,

THE WORLD CUP STARTS TODAY!!!! :jump::jump::jump:

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.

• We got rain today!!!!! It wasn't very much, in fact only a small shower, however I haven't seen rain in a while so it was a welcomed relief, just a little tidbit, in Queensland, Australia(where Smokey and I live) it has been over 230 days since we've had over 50mm of rain, and I tell you it's really starting to take its toll here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• hi bek and all

bek i know what you mean about the cold at 5.30am have been out at that time to get a bus to get into to where i am doing my course is so cold have had to go out and get a beanie and gloves. we too had a shower was just enough to see it on the windscreen of the car. we have been placed on level 3 water conditions which means we can only use a bucket to water our gardens not that i do this much wish we could have rainwater tanks though they wouldnt be of much use at this time because we havent had any rain the grass is dying but i think of the farmers who are doing it tougher

all the best to you all

bek heard on the train the other morning that they are begining to see the small hills that were under the water at the wivenhoe have become small islands and are getting bigger as each day passes.

smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• Yeaht the hills in Wivenhoe are getting bigger everytime I go past it, now on the bridge you can see the bottom of the dam, it's really bad :(

I agree, we most probably are doing it tougher, not that the city people aren't doing it tough, it's just getting so hard out here, one of my friends from school has 5 dams and all 5 of them have gone dry, we're losing so much stock out of it aswell.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Originally posted by Bek@Jun 10 2006, 05:41 AM
    Yeaht the hills in Wivenhoe are getting bigger everytime I go past it, now on the bridge you can see the bottom of the dam, it's really bad :(

I agree, we most probably are doing it tougher, not that the city people aren't doing it tough, it's just getting so hard out here, one of my friends from school has 5 dams and all 5 of them have gone dry, we're losing so much stock out of it aswell.

[snapback]32028[/snapback]

And I thought that we here in Texas had it bad, I envy you two wonderful ladies. Due to what may become Tropical Storm Alberto, Texas has lost it's chance for rain this week and next week. :stunned: Man-o-man, I sure was eagerly anticipating getting another big thunder-boomer come through our area.

BTW, the temps are hovering around 94 degrees "F" absolutely no clouds in the sky since the rain we had over a week ago and the humidity factor is lower but we also have no breeze. :(:blink::dead:

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hey Ringo,

What is a breeze? :huh: We don't get breezes except when it gets in the 50's. Let me back track, what is the 50's? :mellow: We are in the middle to upper 90's yesterday and today with negative breeze. What is negative breeze? Well, it is sucking the air out and that's when the dew point is above 65F that is the measurement moisture in the air and gives us the humidity. We are sky-rocketing in that area. That is always the biggest problem we have thanks to the gulf.

Have a cool day, everyone, we are not going to get it until maybe December or January and it seems we are losing that relief. Maybe a year round summer coming soon enough. By the way, Viper, did you ever get any meaningful snow? I might be moving up to your area. ;)

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Hi all

Just had a great weekend in Donegal,
    where I met a few nice Americans, who
    were enjoying the warm sunshine and
    the Guinness. We have had some rain
    overnight, is this the end of the summer
    for the Irish? :o

Emmanuel.

Emmanuel.