Rio Bravo (1959)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

There are 154 replies in this Thread. The last Post () by lasbugas.

• Originally posted by Danny Wilde@Dec 2 2006, 11:40 PM

I bought the official Region 0 DVD release of this movie in the 90s, and recently bought the Region 2 Warner DVD release of this movie, with a trailer as an extra and I stumbled across a strange thing: the European release is 2 hours and 16 minutes! While the Region 0 release was 2 hours 21 minutes just like the Region 1 Warner DVD release. The European DVD release was cut by 5 minutes! This is really a shame as they also deleted the biography notes that were on the Region 1 release. In the first 45 minutes of the movie they managed to cut about 3 minutes of the movie, does anyone know which scenes were cut?
      [snapback]37415[/snapback]

Hi Danny Wilde,

Thanks for your post, and bringing up this difference.
      I have never compared the two, but it is
      a subject that both Robbie and Rough Rider
      would be keen on solving.

I have also, quoted you post in th appropriate Missing Footage thread
      Best Wishes
      Keith
      London- England
    • I'm not sure why this was done, I'm sure its got nothing to do with unseen deleted scenes that we have not viewed before, I only have the Vhs version of Rio Bravo and I'm pretty sure its uncut and runs to about approximately 136 minutes.

Its a great shame that the deleted scenes from this movie and other John Wayne movies are lost never to be seen.

Some footage deleted from this movie includes an additional shootout and Harry Carey Jnr attempting to enlist as one of Chances deputies.

Regards
      Robbie
    • Originally posted by Robbie@Dec 4 2006, 02:26 PM
      I'm not sure why this was done, I'm sure its got nothing to do with unseen deleted scenes that we have not viewed before, I only have the Vhs version of Rio Bravo and I'm pretty sure its uncut and runs to about approximately 136 minutes.
      [snapback]37476[/snapback]

According IMBD the running time of Rio Bravo is appr. 141 minutes, that's how long my Region 0 DVD version of Rio Bravo is.
      According to several DVD reviews of the Region 1 release running time is 141 minutes! (see the excellent dvd-basen.dk/ for a database of reviews from all regions)
      This means the "uncut" version is 141 minutes. In the first 45 minutes of the movie there already are 3 minutes cut, so I can see whether I can find out where the cuts are made. I'll post them as soon as I've done that.

I agree it's a shame that scenes that ended on the cutting floor are lost forever. The very thin DVd release of Rio Bravo doesn't do justice to this excellent movie at all.
    • Originally posted by Danny Wilde@Dec 5 2006, 03:34 AM
      According IMBD the running time of Rio Bravo is appr. 141 minutes, that's how long my Region 0 DVD version of Rio Bravo is.
      According to several DVD reviews of the Region 1 release running time is 141 minutes! (see the excellent dvd-basen.dk/ for a database of reviews from all regions)
      This means the "uncut" version is 141 minutes. In the first 45 minutes of the movie there already are 3 minutes cut, so I can see whether I can find out where the cuts are made. I'll post them as soon as I've done that.

I agree it's a shame that scenes that ended on the cutting floor are lost forever. The very thin DVd release of Rio Bravo doesn't do justice to this excellent movie at all.
      [snapback]37508[/snapback]

I responded to this and don't know whether you saw it or not. Your query was copied to a new topic by an administrator, so maybe that's why you didn't see it.

See... Missing Footage And Deleted Scenes (click the link below).

Rio Bravo
    • Re: Rio Bravo (1959)

I was lucky enough to see Rio Bravo this summer on a big screen at the University of Chicago. It was shown using the dvd and a projector so it wasn't the greatest quality, but it was still great to see it on a big screen after years of seeing it on television.

I hope RB gets the 2-disc treatment that all those Wayne-Ford westerns got last year. It's long overdue, especially considering the barebones release in the cardboard packaging available now.

ethanedwards,

I noticed one additonal thing that stood out to me in Rio Bravo that seemed out of whack. When Dude went into the bar after the guy who shot wheeler and he spotted the blood dripping into the drink on the bar there were a few drops of red. At the end of the scene the drink was almost pure red. I wondered if this wasn't due to additional takes or if whatever they had dripping didn't continue through the scene. Regardless it seemed to be an inconsistency I thought of when reading the section on goofs.

I disagree because the bar ran further back than photo three shows. The second point I would like to make is that in photo three we can't see the gun or glass on the bar indicating that it is more or less directly under the loft.

Photo three is actually fascinating, even in the loft there are some saloon props such as the beer barrel which adds to the movie, It also interesting to see a photograph from height which adds a new dimension to this great scene.

:agent:
      Regards
      Robbie

This is one of my all time favorites, because of Walter Brennan one of the greatest co stars in movies his chracters are excellent like stumpy or in the movie Dakota. The duke is excellent of course and Dean Martins singing second to none. It seems like the Duke had to use Ricky Nelson and the young stars of the time maybe to bring the young audience in . like Fabian in North to Alaska. I keep this one on my tivo for immediate viewing.
      Mister you better find yourself another line of work, cause this one sure DON"T fit your PISTOL!

I couldn't post any more than 4 photos but if you look at the bar the glass is visible in photo 3 and the bar ends before the post he is leaning against which has to be close to the ladder that took him into the loft. You see the ladder way in the corner on the first image below. The layout just doesn't work. Then when the Sheriff shoots the guy, where he lands can't work out either. The only thing that might explain the difference is you see the blood on his leg after he falls, the blood could have traveled in the loft and found a hole at the end of some floor board.

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_card_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="3" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">