I'm Not Trying To Be Political Or Anything Else

There are 10 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 3,221 times. The latest Post () was by The Ringo Kid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Howdy all, i'm not trying to be controversial or anything at all with this posting but, I was wondering how you might feel on this.

In the State of Texas, the month of April is known as: Confederate Heritage Month."

OK, as you know, I am a Southerner and serveral of my ancestors fought during the U.S. Civil War & and on both sides. The more famous of my relatives were: Sam Cooper, Col. C.S.A. commanding a Regiment of Cavalry during the war. <span style='color:blue'> U.S. Grant, General U.S.A. and future (yet ever controversial) President - USA.

OK, now to get my point across for this topic.

I know most here in the USA has seen or heard the big news stories about the not-so-legal-immigrants coming here from other countries. In many areas of the country there has been people doing "walk-outs" from work or school etc, as a matter of protesting the "Immigration Reform Bill" that Congress is now kicking around.

OK, I have seen several news stories on the National News Networks played for many days and weeks. Recently they showed several stories showing many students and adults, carrying and wearing the flag of another country. I have no personal problem with that at all as it is a part of their heritage.
    </span>

OK, I forget what County here in Texas that this incident happened at but, the leaders there practically had an apoplexy when the group known as: The Sons of the Confederacy asked permission to fly the flag at the county courthouse, they were given a hard time and not given permission to fly the Confederate Battle Flag outside said courthouse. However, they finally got permission to have a flag on display in some quiet out-of-the-place corner, in said courthouse. Permission was only granted only when they flew the Confederate States Flag (The Stars and Bars) instead of the more recognizable battle flag (the flag with the big blue "X" and 13 white stars on it red background)

A reason given for the powers-that-be, for not allowing a Confederate Battle Flag to be flown outside the courthouse for the public to see was because: they did not want to offend anybody by doing so. Personally, I find that hogwash because the flag that was flying as high as the American flag on the next pole--was the flag of another nearby country. If I recall any flag ettiquitte, is it not supposed to fly LOWER than the American Flag? The Texas State Flag was on a third pole and was flying lower than the American and that flag representing another country.

Now, as one who was born in the deep south and whose heritage is mainly southern, why can I not fly the Confederate Battle Flag? Some say that the battle flag represents racism--which is again--hogwash. The Confederate States Battle Flag and during the Civil War, was a flag that was proudly carried in battle. unfortunately and for some sad reason, racist groups like to fly the honorable Confederate Battle Flag side-by-side, right next to the nazi banner. That infuriates me to no end and makes the battle flag look bad.

Now my question is, If someone who is of another heritage other than mine and who proudly shows it by doing many different things --such as marching down a street carrying the flag of their heritage. Why are these people not looked at as "Racist" when carrying their flag but, yet, I am looked at as being prejudiced; just because I like to show off some of MY heritage?

Like I said earlier, this post is not intended to be negative in any way, shape or form. Just looking for an openion or words form others that are far more learned and wiser, that I am. :)

Best regards--C.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Hello All
    I believe in freedom but do not believe in anyone being proud of the nazi flag. There was no honor there that I have heard about. As for the flag of the Conferacey, be it battle or otherwise that flag represents a lot of honor. When it comes to politically correct things, I think they go too far in some areas. If you ever make it up here Karl we will runner up the pole and if anyone objects we will first explain the rationale and if that doesn't suit them we will allow them to stew in the juices of their own misery. My understanding of protocol is that the host nations flag has to be shown due respect by being higher then that of any other.
    Down to the Courthouse, they do a lot of judging, and thats what we expect them to do. Perhaps it is force of habit for them to desire to avoid trouble. My understanding of the Civil War is limited although my paternal family line lost a man in it. To me war is a sad representation of the weakness of Mankind. That is not to say I can not respect and honor the memory of those who had the courage to stand and sometimes die for what they believed in. My best advice is to load your guns :headbonk: ( no not really) Maybe a cold beer and a good movie will change the stink in the air. take care of Texas for us. murray

Greetings from North of the 49th

• Hi Carl -
    This is a case of political correctness getting way out of hand. It seems many people get all bent out of shape at the drop of a hat.
    There are many minority organizations (NAACP, Mexican-American coalitions, etc., etc.) that get to tout their ethnicity without fear of reprimand. However, when any Anglo-Saxon person suggests forming a group of his type of ancestry, he (or she) is branded racist.
    There was an incident a couple of years ago when a high school student suggested forming a club of white people at her school. She was immediately and resoundingly chastised (as in "The Alamo") and vilafied as being a racist for her suggestion, though all she wanted to do was provided some sort of balance to the other ethnic organizations in the school.
    Cheers - Jay :angry::fear::fear2:

BTW - Here in South Texas, Mexican-Americans are the majority population. Shouldn't Anglo-Saxons, as a minority group, have the right to form an organization?

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Murray, Erthomp and Jay,

Murray, I fully agree with you and I cannot see just how anyone can honor the nazi flag either--and I do collect WWII German Militaria. All of the WWII German Veterans I know and are friends with feel the same as we do. I also competely agreee that they have gone way too far on P.C. and it really turns my stomache with disgust. If I decided to march through the streets here with the battle Flag, I would be called a racist. When I lived in Kingsville, I used to fly four flags--not daily but on every flag or important day I could think of. I used to fly the Stars and Stripes (above all) then the Texas and Confederate Battle Flags (same heigth) and the Pirate Flag - as a joke and it flew the lowest. Nobody in my neighborhood ever complained and I always got compliments - whether they were Caucasion or other. Oh and on occasion, I also flew the Jack.

:D I greatly appreciate that Murray, i'll look forward to hoisting the Confederate Battle Flag on Canadian soil. :D I agree too that war is a sad weakness of mankind. your right though, I will watch a good movie to clear the air of stink. I think i'll watch Destination tokyo w/ Cary Grant, John Garfield and Alan Hale; tonight. Does drinking Dr. Pepper count? ;-))

Erthomp--thank you for the link on flag protocol. Its nice to refresh the memory on it. :)

Thank you as well Jay, yep--it really amazes me on how bad that P.C. can get. I am beginning to think that many people are so bent on being P.C. that they are all a Sandwich short of a picnic and cannot afford to be as many of those are also not exactly the brightest bulbs on the porch either.

I remember that incident about that girl wanting to start that organization. I also remember how quickly that the Corpus Christi chapter of LULAC came out and complained about it. I do not recall if the local chapter of the NAACP did or not. But what you said is what I mean that if we try to start or join such a group--were automatically labled with that bad lable.

Heh heh, I defintely live with it as being a minority here in CC. I live in an apartment complex where each building has at least 8 apartments. My nextdoor neighbor is the only other caucasion in this building. Thankfully all the other people in our building really are great people to know and we all get along just great. I look forward to our 1-2 times a week, that we all spend a few hrs on the walkway talking and having fun. That is the way it should be but, some simple people seem to not want that to happen. One thing I am glad about being here in this area, is that you would have to look hard to find any real racism.

When the neighbors and I do get together, sometimes these kinds of subjects come up and we talk about them. Not a one of my neighbors--objects to how I decide to honor my heritage as I do not object to theirs. Heck, one of my neighbors plays traditional Spanish Music--which I really like. Another neighbor cooks the best Enchiladas I have ever eaten. I do like the people, food and culture. I just wish ours could be so recognized as well.

Thank you gents for your replies. This makes me feel better.

Best regards--Carl.

• Carl - I like that descriptive phrase :lol:

Here in San Antonio, it's the same. There is very little in the way of racist feelings. The thing is that we are all fellow human beings and, the actions of a few firebrands notwithstanding, as a whole, we seem to get along pretty well. :)

Cheers - Jay :D

"Not hardly!!!"

• Hi Jay, glad you liked that one. I heard it for the first time as a State of Texas Correctional Officer - when Warden Zeller was privately talking with me about a supervisor that neither of us had any respect for. Said stupervisor was a Lieutenant (my immediate stupervisor) and the Warden's (underling) and the stupervisor was trying to get me into trouble when I brought in an antique rifle (an 1898 Krag Carbine - as-a-matter-of-fact) that Warden Zeller-had given me express permission to do so--because he was buying it from me.

I have always liked San Antonio as well as the people there. There, the attitude is so much different than here in Corpus. Here, if you merely glance at a person--said person will throw you the rod, cuss you out and threaten you. I never got that from anyone whenever in San Antonio. I do hope to be able to move there in within a few years.

;) Best regards--C.

Originally posted by The Ringo Kid@Apr 5 2006, 03:23 PM
    I have always liked San Antonio as well as the people there. There, the attitude is so much different than here in Corpus. Here, if you merely glance at a person--said person will throw you the rod, cuss you out and threaten you. I never got that from anyone whenever in San Antonio. I do hope to be able to move there in within a few years.

[snapback]30142[/snapback]

San Antonio has always been known for its friendly residents - we get comments all the time from tourists and other visitors - especially those that come to town for the Alamobowl every holiday season.
    If moving here turns out to be the case for you, let me be one of the first to say "WELCOME," my Texas buddy.

"Not hardly!!!"

Originally posted by Jay J. Foraker@Apr 5 2006, 04:30 PM
    San Antonio has always been known for its friendly residents - we get comments all the time from tourists and other visitors - especially those that come to town for the Alamobowl every holiday season.
    If moving here turns out to be the case for you, let me be one of the first to say "WELCOME," my Texas buddy.

[snapback]30144[/snapback]

Muchos Gracias Deine Freund. :):) I do hope I can relocate there within the next two years. I have not been to the Alamo in probably 14 or so years and I am getting mighty hungry for having a meal at The Red Barn.
    :D

• If a new feller can wade in here in the same spirit of not wantin to cause a ruckus on the Stars and Bars.

The Civil War is Interesting to me for many reasons least of all being Southern born.
    The traditional Stars and Bars was actually the Confederate Naval flag. The Battle flag had the same markings but was square.

I agree with y'all many a brave lad fell neath the Stars and Bars and it wasn't for slavery. States rights was the main reason.

Little known fact. In 1861 3,000 free blacks lived in New Orleans. All were slave owners

Like I said I ain't tryin to start a ruckus just jumpin in. :jump:

"Republic. I like the sound of that word"

Davy Crockett, The Alamo

• Hi Panhandle, welcome to this site and your always welcome to chime in here. Glad to also see another here who is interested in the Civil War. I was weaned on my history--with the Civil War.

I like the facts you posted. Another little known fact is that many blacks also fought for The Confederacy. General Robert E. Lee's personal Chef was a freed slave who Lee had promoted to the rank of Sergeant (Please don't quote me on this but I got this off the internet sometime ago so I can't prove this man's rank as a Sergeant but--can easily find info on him as Lee's Chef. :) After the war ended and after Lee had passed away, this man went to College and studied Theology nd later became a Reverand.

Best regards--TRK.