Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,431,391 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• There was a widescreen broadcast of "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way To The Forum" on Retroplex tonight opposite the State of the Union address. I've seen the Forum movie before and on the Broadway stage, but somehow tonight's timing tickled me no end.
    Tragedy tomorrow, comedy tonight.
    You sort it out.

We deal in lead, friend.

• My Son John on TCM. This was an interesting movie. It stars with Helen Hayes, Jean Jagger, Robert Walker, Van Heflin. This is what they call, "Shadows of Russia." These are the movies with the anti-American flair that Hollywood produced back in the 50's. A very interesting movie with a good cast.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Well, since watching "The Young Philadelphians", (a Paul Newman film that greatly impressed me) I've watched two more in the boxed set to see if there were other undiscovered gems in the lot. The first was 1966's "Harper", which introduced Newman as PI Lew Harper. It wasn't bad but I liked its' sequel "The Drowning Pool" better.

The latter film, which co-starred Newman's wife Joanne Woodward, Tony Franciosa, Richard Jaeckel and others, had an extremely complex storyline but it held my interest very well. Woodward, who plays a now-married old flame of Newman, calls him to a plantation in deep-south Louisiana and asks him to investigate and stop a blackmail plot. I won't give away more of the plot in case others want to watch it but I think you'll enjoy the movie if you haven't seen it. What blew my mind was the police captain role played by Franciosa, who had what sounded like an authentic New Orleans accent. Very interesting........

De gustibus non est disputandum

• I would then recommend that you browse the original novels that these were based on by author Ross MacDonald. The character's name was Lew Archer, but Newman opted for another "H" name after "Hud", Hombre" and "The Hustler".

We deal in lead, friend.

• After supper/dinner I decided to take a break from Paul Newman so watched "The Desert Rats", with Richard Burton, Robert Newton and James Mason (as Field Marshal Erwin Rommel). Told the story of a battalion of Australians defending the North African outpost of Tobruk against Rommel's assault during WW2. They managed to hold long enough to give FM Montgomery time enough to rebuild his army to the point he was able to eventually defeat Rommel. Pretty good film.

• Newman opted for another "H" name after "Hud", Hombre" and "The Hustler".

He opted for several including Hank Stamper, Harry Frigg, Henry Gondorff, Harry Keach and Harry Ross. In fact, there may have been others I've forgotten. My personal favorite "H" roles were Hank Stamper in "Sometimes a Great Notion" and Henry Gondorff in "The Sting".

• New Movies seen include AVATAR. I thought it was excellent. The special effects were great! Everything looked so real. Can't wait to see the sequel. The end left it apparent that there would be one coming. I would highly recommend it.

Coach3

• I watched a classic that I purchased yesterday. It is Angels with Dirty Faces. Cagney was fantastic, and so was Pat O'Brien.

Cheers :cool:

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• still watching "are you being served" he goes back to school on monday maybe now i can watch something else for a change :))):

cheers smokey

" its not all black and white, but different shades of grey"

• I've gorged on our main man today. Started with "The Horse Soldiers", then to "The Fighting Seabees" and just finished "Sands of Iwo Jima".

Will probably do the same tomorrow. I need that "fix" occasionally. :biggrin:

• Went to the movies and saw, The Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson. This is a good movie. Very violent not for the young with the violence and language and subject. I liked it a lot. I recommend it if you like Mel, action and adventure.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

- John Wayne quote

• Went to the movies and saw, The Edge of Darkness with Mel Gibson. This is a good movie. Very violent not for the young with the violence and language and subject. I liked it a lot. I recommend it if you like Mel, action and adventure.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

I like Mel a lot and am anxious to see this movie. However, I never go to the theaters anymore and will wait until it's released on DVD.

• After watching three of Duke's films yesterday, I decided to watch this movie for the third or fourth time last night.

To me, it's a fascinating look at the truly weird drug sub-culture that exists in our society. As the movie progresses, the viewer discovers that all is not as it seems in the beginning. I won't give the plot away but believe me, this is an excellent movie about a subject most of us (especially John Wayne fans) know nothing about. Not that we want to know anything about drugs but I can almost guarantee that you will become as engrossed in this story as I did. WARNING: it's not for children as it contains much profanity and violence. Try it; I'm almost sure you'll like it.

• Watched "Operation Pacific" earlier today, another of Duke's war films. Co-starred Ward Bond, Patricia Neal and Martin Milner.

Duke becomes skipper of a U.S. Navy submarine after Bond, the original captain, becomes a casualty in the Pacific war. Patrician Neal, who is Duke's love interest in this movie, is a fine actress and a foxy lady. Good supporting cast.