Last Non Western You Watched

There are 8,505 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 2,429,765 times. The latest Post () was by OriginalMexicanBob.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Thanks Ringo Kid, that's a gorgeous poster and the stills are fantastic! How was the actual film, especially after watching the seminal Beau Geste!

"Pour yourself some backbone and shut up!"

• Good news is it has been released and is still available--in the Gary Cooper Signature Collection., Lancers comes with Beau geste, The General Died at Dawn, Peter Ibbetson (which I hated) and another whose title I didnt care for and cant thing of what it was? possibly Fountainhead??? There are at least two versions of this set out that im aware of.

Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll try and track it down. I'm slightly reticent as I would have thought that real classics like these will be out on blu ray sooner rather than later.
    I'll dig out my ropey copy of Bengal lancer in the meantime. :)

• Have company staying with us and was looking for something a little different and sort of a "sleeper" to impress the guests. Pure luck guided me in selecting "The Guard" from 2011 starring Brendon Gleeson and Don Cheedle. A wonderful, funny, sharp and hugely satisfying cop story set in Ireland. Granted, we had to watch it with English subtitles, but it was a huge hit, smart beyond the normal cop flick.
    Please do yourself a favor and check it out.

We deal in lead, friend

• Freinds with Benefits with Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis. Not for the young under 18. Had some funny parts and lines. Was alright but nothing I want to see again. Rated R.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Firefies in the Garden with Ryan Reynolds and Willem Dafoe. It was a pretty good movie. Not for the young. Some profanity in the movie and adult theme in the movie. Julia Roberts was also good in the movie.

Cheers :cool: Hondo

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Lol! What was the inspiration for that then!

Long gray line would fit nicely with your other viewing. ;)

ive seen gunga din about 20 plus times and it's a film that i never get tired of.i loved the lone pine location.

• Thanks so much for the heads up! I'll try and track it down. I'm slightly reticent as I would have thought that real classics like these will be out on blu ray sooner rather than later.
    I'll dig out my ropey copy of Bengal lancer in the meantime. :)

Quite welcome and, the Gary Cooper Signature Collection has been out at least 5 years--maybe longer and is still available. I bought mine at Best Buy--which really aint a best buy. Its cheaper at Amazon.

I too would have thought that all classics would be available now--but many many still missing. I have a long long list of desirables--and slowly but surely--some are coming to be released or as on demand titles. Oh and-_Warner Bros is having a Wright Brothers Birthday sale till the 20th? of August--and many titles are 25?-to-33% off and free shipping. Im about to place an order soon as the internet starts working a bit faster.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• Bengal lancer looks as epic as Gunga din in those stills! Thanks ringo kid

Its pretty good. I favor Gunga Din a bit more but not by much ;-)) Ive only seen Bengal 2-3 times but seen Din about 20 times.

Ill post images for another classic soon as the internet starts running better for me--for another Coop classic I saw today.

• The General Died at Dawn w? Gary Cooper as O'Hara, Akim Tamiroff as General Yang, Madeleine Carroll as the Squeeze, William Frawley as the Drunk and Philip Ahn as Yangs subaltern:

Coop, Ahn, Tamiroff and Carroll:

O'Hara playing with his pet Monkey:

Classic Coop:

Tamiroff and Ahn:

Classic Tamiroff:

Classic movie for sure:

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• Posters from that era where amazing. Never seen this one so will have to track it down. Thanks for the education!

• Hi Dooley, welcome and--it's a pretty good movie. One thing that really caught my attention throughout the movie--was the prolific usage of WWI German Artillery Lugers. Yangs bunch used em. :-))

• 36 Hours w/ James Garner, Rod Taylor, John Banner, Werner Peters & Eva Marie Saint:

W/ a pre-Sgt. Schultze's John Banner, Garner and Eva Marie Saint:

Taylor as the """American Captain""" German Doctor & Garner:

Saint and Garner:

Garner and Batman's Butler from the TV series:

Garner and the German Major:

Edited 2 times, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• In Harm's Way TP

I posted this back before the double posting of all the wonderful pictures. Wondered if it just get buried or if no one knows? So, I posting it again, as I am very curious......maybe a critic or something started it. Can't imagine that his fans would. So, here it is again:
    Oh, while on the subject of the name Duke, can anyone tell me how this "THE DUKE" got started? When he was a boy, as most of you know, he had an Airedale dog named Duke. The fire station men that they used to visit on their "rounds" begin calling young Michael, "Little Duke". Gradually everyone called him that. After his dog died and "Little Duke" began to get his growth, the "Little" was dropped, and he was called simply Duke. That was his name forever after. In fact, when filming, he got a bit upset if cast or crew called him John instead of Duke because John was never even close to his name.....(got very upset with Kirk Douglas in War Wagon because of it). Now, if he was your friend and you greeted him on set, would you say, "Morning, The Duke"? I certainly wouldn't, LOL.
    So, if any of you know why folks began calling him that, please let me know. It isn't THAT important...just one of those little things that bother you, if you understand what I mean. Every time I see someone say, THE DUKE, I just want to know why? I want to tell them...his name was DUKE. Perhaps the queen not only Knights people, but also "DUKES" them and she did so to Duke and I never heard about it, :wink_smile: Thanks in advance if anyone knows how this got started. Keith

God, she reminds me of me! DUKE

• 55 Days at Peking: w/ Charlton Heston, David Niven, Walter Gotell, Eva Gardner, Kurt Kaznar, John Ireland & Harry Andrews.

What a heck of a great movie:

Edited once, last by The Ringo Kid ().

• 55 Days at Peking: w/ Charlton Heston, David Niven, Walter Gotell, Eva Gardner, Kurt Kaznar, John Ireland & Harry Andrews.

What a heck of a great movie:

Comanche Station: Randolph and Budd, filmed in CinemaScope.
    Can't for the life of me think why I decided to watch this one!:wink_smile: