Why You Are A John Wayne Fan?

There are 49 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 13,858 times. The latest Post () was by Tuscarora.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• JAY LET ME ASK YOU SOME INFOR ON THE DUKE I JUST GETTING INTO BEING A FAN..I HAVE NO INFOR ON HIS LIVE..LIKE HIS WIFE -KIDS WHAT IS HE LIKE OUT SIDE THE TV?ANY INFO ON HIM HAVE YOU EVERY MEET HIM?

• Hi Cookie & Milk -

No. I never met Duke, unfortunately. If I had the wherewithal back in 1960 when he was here in San Antonio for the big premiere of "The Alamo," perhaps I could have. But that comes under the heading of opportunities lost.
    I know he did have three wives - you'll find more about these as you scan the posts.

Good hunting and, again, welcome!

Regards -

Jay :)

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• thanks jay--
    to let the board know i fine this site a while back called http://www.fineagrave.com
    lot of person on there doing family tree stuff there is some star on there John is there.. singer star and non acter is any one would like to see his list it is cool
    just put in his name and state cemetery in ca it should came up

• I BECAME A JOHN WAYNE FAN WHEN I WAS A KID (ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS OLD). MY DAD WOULD CUDDLE UP WITH ME ON THE COUCH AND WE WOULD WATCH DUKE MOVIES ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS. THEY ARE GREAT MEMORIES. AND TODAY, MY DAD AND I TALK ON THE PHONE ABOUT THE OLD MOVIES WE OWN ON DVD, AND THE ONES WE NEED TO GET FOR OUR COLLECTIONS. IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU HERE ABOUT A FATHER AND DAUGHTER SHARING INTERESTS FROM "DAD'S DAY"!!! :cowboy:

MICHAELLE

Originally posted by Michaelle+Jan 26 2005, 02:56 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michaelle @ Jan 26 2005, 02:56 PM)</div>

I BECAME A JOHN WAYNE FAN WHEN I WAS A KID (ABOUT 5 OR 6 YEARS OLD). MY DAD WOULD CUDDLE UP WITH ME ON THE COUCH AND WE WOULD WATCH DUKE MOVIES ON SATURDAY AFTERNOONS. THEY ARE GREAT MEMORIES. AND TODAY, MY DAD AND I TALK ON THE PHONE ABOUT THE OLD MOVIES WE OWN ON DVD, AND THE ONES WE NEED TO GET FOR OUR COLLECTIONS. IT'S NOT EVERYDAY YOU HERE ABOUT A FATHER AND DAUGHTER SHARING INTERESTS FROM "DAD'S DAY"!!! :cowboy:

[snapback]14002[/snapback]

[/b]

I inherited my devotion to the Duke from my Mom (don't know where she got it) and my daughter (who's 33) inherited it from me. I think that's great that Big John's fandom spans generations like that.

I remember going to a Wayne movie several years ago (think I was living in Denver then). There was a fairly long line of people waiting to buy tickets and I began studying them. There were all types of people in that line, from grayhairs through hippies to shrieking youngsters. All waiting in line to see the Duke. Made me realize just how popular the man was.

I've said it before in this forum (and upset some people) but I'll say it again. I don't think it was Wayne's acting ability that inspired such devotion as it was his patriotism, his presence and what he stood for. His screen persona, if you will. As it says on his Congressional gold medal, he was "John Wayne, American" and many if not most Americans relate to that. He represented strength, principle, honor and most other traits we admire in men. In short, the Man was unique.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Stumpy,I believe you just said it best....his presence and what he stood for....and of course his acting had something to do with it.! :cowboy:

• Well I agree with most of what been said before. That just shows how diverse this man was! He stood as a symbol of what an American should be. I have always enjoyed watching the Duke and am enjoying seeing my kids start to as well.
    This was a great topic.

thesherrif

• I grew up watching John Wayne with my father. He's my father's hero and one of the main reasons he became a police officer. I, being a 'daddy's girl' would sit and watch with him, mostly the westerns. I came to love the Duke for all the reasons my father does. He represents everything a good person should live by, such as strength of character and honor, which no one talks about anymore.

I too am now a police officer and I work for the same department as my father (who has a cardboard cut-out of JW in his office). He and I both think the same way in difficult situations on the street: What Would John Wayne Do? or WWJWD ;) . My two heroes: John Wayne and my dad.

"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway."

Heroes live forever.

• Welcome to the site Duke .45.I find it a very touching story about you,john wayne and your father.I hope you enjoy your time at the site....nice having more ladies around here....and a younger one at that.

-IHW

• Welcome to the site Duke .45, you will enjoy your stay here. My father was the major influence on me being a JW fan as well. Hope to see you around. :cowboy:

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Welcome Duke.45 to the John Wayne Message Board. You will find a lot of great people here with a lot of interesting posts. Sit down and stay awhile!

Cheers - Jay :D

Cheers - Jay:beer:
    "Not hardly!!!"

• Duke.45,

I want to take this time to welcome you here at the best site for conversation on the net, and for a great American, John Wayne. Hope you find everything you want about Duke, and come often.

I also want to thank you for the great tribute for Duke and your father. That was touching. I'm sure Duke would be proud himself.

Cheers B)

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it"

- John Wayne quote

• Duke.45,

We'd like to welcome you to the John Wayne Message Board, a great place to hang out and discuss the Duke, with a great bunch of like-minded folks.

Hey, is your dad on the 'net?? Maybe he can join us too - that would be great!

We loved your reference to WWJWD!

We look forward to seeing you around here again, SOON and often.

Chester :newyear: and the Mrs. :angel1:

• I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome! My dad's not exactly what you'd call 'computer savvy', but I told him about it. I'll show it to him the next time I'm at my parents'. Thanks again!

"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway."

Heroes live forever.

• HEY, DUKE.45--IT WAS REAL NEAT READING YOUR STORY. IT'S NICE TO KNOW THAT OTHER GIRLS (WOMEN) HAVE FOLLOWED IN THEIR DADDY'S FOOTSTEPS. NICE TO HAVE YOU ABOARD!!!!! :D

MICHAELLE

• [FONT=Optima] :rolleyes: I became a fan because of the style he portrays in his movies but that drew me to learn more about the man. I've read several biographies now of the people closest to him; his daughter Aissa, his wife Pilar, and Maureen O'Hara.

I now love the man more than the legend. There are some who are happy with the bad to the bone, defeat anyone, never cries, heroic legend. I will take the man who loved to play chess, go shopping, danced with his wife, worries about other people, and had a steadfast testimony of freedom.

• I became a John Wayne fan due to my grandpa. He's the one who got me to understand who the Duke was and how he portrayed himself on screen and off screen in moral values of life when he was alive. To this day my grandpa and I still
    catch a John Wayne movie together.

• I just think it's great that one way or another, I get my daily dose of The Duke even if it is only justa commercial advertising one of his movies that will be played that day. Tonight on the Hallmark Channel are a mini Duke marathon. I will be catching some of it when I get off the computer.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I thought I'd responded to this thread some time ago. Guess not!

I like the philosophy that Duke represents in so many of his roles. The man who doesn't like bureaucracy, hypocrites, martinets and people who look down on others. I think a lot of that comes from what my own grandfather believed and I see a lot of those beliefs reflected in Duke. Perhaps that's why I like John Wayne so much. The "rugged individual" personified. I'm also fascinated with the 1930s-1950s time frame. Whether it be movies, music, style, the way people treated one another or the more rigid structure so lacking since then. Duke represents all that was good about that time frame, and it's an element of what I call the "American Character" that needs to be rediscovered by today's Americans. Oh sheesh, I don't know what I'm trying to say! :wacko:

"Day off?"
    "Off day."