Broken Trail

There are 15 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 5,112 times. The latest Post () was by Yojimbo28.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Hi all,
    I just finished watching the first part of Broken Trail and wondered what all of you guys and gals think? Duvall's character wasn't around as much as I'd like, but he's borrowing heavily from his performance in Lonesome Dove and Open Range. I'm not complaining mind you and the movie so far is terrific.
    Bo

• Damn. I missed it. Good thing about AMC though, they will playthe heck out of it for the next month!!!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• I'll probably be in the minority in my opinion of this movie but, I thought it was boring and did not care for it much. Had too hard of a time in trying to pay attention to it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• It was kind of slow. I thought it did tell a good story though...it did keep my interest, but I think it could have been told in two hours or less, instead of dragging it out over two nights! Not too bad of a movie, but not one of my favorites.

• Howdy All,
    I don't think it was a bad movie. But heck, anytime I can sit around and watch a western, it's a good day. I agree that it was a bit long, and seemed to have quite a bit of "filler" scenes, and I did not like the opening scenes. I really don't want to see nudity, especially when the film would have been just as good (if not better) without it. The whole "checking the girls" thing could and should have been left out. I guess I'm just a little bit old fashioned. Other than that though, it wasn't a bad film.
    Best,
    Colorado Bob

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them" It may be time worn, but it's the best life-creed I know.

• I had a hard time watching was not what I expected IMO next time they advertise the hell out of something make it worth it. The first half really was slow and the whole topic that is the best they could come up with?

NOT THE BRANDY YOU DOPE!

• I thought this was a wonderful movie-not as good as the classic "Lonesome Dove but I don't anything ever will be- still it was beautifully filmed, good story(the ending is on the bittersweet side) and of course the acting was great. I enjoyed it very much.

They'd never forget the day,the stranger rode into town

• After finishing the movie, I found it less than advertised. In fact, I erased it off the tivo. A lot of filler and not a lot of cohesive story. I'm embarassed to say that I fell asleep during the second half.
    Bo

• Well I'll agree with most that it did not live up to the billing. I just kept waiting for something to happen and am still waiting. I guess I should just be happy that they made a new western.

Also I agree with Bob that the opening scene could have been left out and maybe I would have let my son watch it with me. But then he would have just gotten bored anyway, I know I did.

Originally posted by JOHNWAYNEABE@Jun 29 2006, 07:09 PM
    I had a hard time watching was not what I expected IMO next time they advertise the hell out of something make it worth it. The first half really was slow and the whole topic that is the best they could come up with?

[snapback]32566[/snapback]

My sentiments exactly. What you said is how I felt about it.

Es Ist Verboten Mit Gefangenen In Einzelhaft Zu Sprechen..

• I finally got around to watching the movie this morning and was surprised. After reading these posts I wasn't expecting much. I found that I enjoyed it allot. I was especially surprised by the job that Thomas Hayden Church did in a western. I always thought of him as a quirky actor but loved him in this roll. He was very believable. Duval did his part great as expected. I'm glad I taped it, as I will be watching it again.

Mark

"I couldn't go to sleep at night if the director didn't call 'cut'. "

• I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably check it out on DVD when it comes out (and it will). I have a feeling it will play better in one sitting without commercial interruptions than over 2 nights with commercials.

It should be noted, however, that this did HUGE ratings for AMC - their best ever by far! If just one thing can come out of this it is that I hope we will see more Westerns produced in the years to come. Hopefully the studios can see that between the ratings for this and the surprising box office for Open Range a few years ago that there is still a strong market for well made Westerns.

Originally posted by B5Erik@Jul 2 2006, 08:59 AM
    I haven't seen it yet, but I'll probably check it out on DVD when it comes out (and it will). I have a feeling it will play better in one sitting without commercial interruptions than over 2 nights with commercials.

It should be noted, however, that this did HUGE ratings for AMC - their best ever by far! If just one thing can come out of this it is that I hope we will see more Westerns produced in the years to come. Hopefully the studios can see that between the ratings for this and the surprising box office for Open Range a few years ago that there is still a strong market for well made Westerns.

[snapback]32623[/snapback]

Thats a good point to make. There is a huge market for westerns and not only for the older generations that were luckily weaned on them. The movie wasn't bad per say more than it was disappointing and didn't live up to the hype. It had it moments and I would have to agree with a prior post that Thomas Hayden Church was great. So here's hoping that some quality westerns will be on the way.
    Bo

• I just got around to watching this film and I enjoyed the hell out of it. Duvall owns the screen anytime he's on it and he's become an actor, like Duke, who I'm now determined to own everything he's ever done. He's great. I was impressed by Thomas Haden Church a lot as well. He's really grown on me in recent years (thought he was pretty good in Sideways, although he was outshone by Giamatti) and this was the first time I saw him in a Western (other than a small role as one of the Clantons in Tombstone) and I thought he acquitted himself very well. The movie was slow, but it didn't bother me one bit. I think the cinematography and just how gorgeous the film looked helped offset that a bit. I'm proud of modern actors like Duvall and Selleck who seem determined to keep the western genre of filmmaking alive.