Politics

There are 2,687 replies in this Thread which has previously been viewed 831,604 times. The latest Post () was by Kevin.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!

• Just a random political post here. I despise both parties and here's an example of each of their odious behavior. They make me sick. What sickens me even more is how people of both parties check their brains at the door and frame their arguments within their political biases. The way I see it, one has to be able to call their own party on their corrupt ways. Now, let's take a look at two of the worst presidents of the last thirty or so years--not including Jimmy Carter or George W. Bush; yes, it's been that bad, folks.
    ------------------------

On August 17, 1998, William Jefferson Clinton swore to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth before a Federal grand jury of the United States. Contrary to that oath, William Jefferson Clinton willfully provided perjurious, false and misleading testimony to the grand jury concerning one or more of the following: (1) the nature and details of his relationship with a subordinate Government employee; (2) prior perjurious, false and misleading testimony he gave in a Federal civil rights ac tion brought against him; (3) prior false and misleading statements he allowed his attorney to make to a Federal judge in that civil rights action; and (4) his corrupt efforts to influence the testimony of witnesses and to impede the discovery of evidence in that civil rights action."

---------------------------------

Article I. In his conduct of the office of President of the United States, Richard M. Nixon, in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice, . . . Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such unlawful entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities. . . .

Article II. . . . Richard M. Nixon . . . has repeatedly engaged in conduct violating the constitutional rights of citizens, impairing the due and proper administration of justice and the conduct of lawful inquiries, or contravening the laws governing agencies of the executive branch and the purpose of these agencies. . . .

Article III. Richard M. Nixon, contrary to his oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States . . . has failed without lawful cause or excuse to produce papers and things as directed by duly authorized subpoenas issued by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives on April 11, 1974, May 15, 1974, May 30, 1974, and June 24, 1974, and willfully disobeying such subpoenas. . . . In refusing to produce these papers and things, Richard M. Nixon, substituting his judgment as to what materials were necessary for the inquiry, interposed the powers of the Presidency against the lawful subpoenas of the House of Representatives, thereby assuming to himself functions and judgments necessary to the exercise of the sole power of impeachment vested by the Constitution in the House of Representatives.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• It's a little sickening, and quite ironic, that POTUS Bambi, who just finished sucking up to various raghead leaders known for oppressing their people, is now in France to observe the anniversary of D-Day, when thousands of Americans, British, French and other nationalities gave their lives to free millions from oppression.

De gustibus non est disputandum

• Well, CT, I agree with just about everything you said above except I never thought that what Nixon did was all so wrong. Compared to LBJ, Carter, Clinton, Bambi and even Kennedy, I thought Nixon was a pretty good prez. Of all the Democrat presidents who've served during my lifetime (ranging from FDR to Hussein Obama), I thought Harry S. Truman was the only one worth a damn.

• It's a little sickening, and quite ironic, that POTUS Bambi, who just finished sucking up to various raghead leaders known for oppressing their people, is now in France to observe the anniversary of D-Day, when thousands of Americans, British, French and other nationalities gave their lives to free millions from oppression.

Stumpy, we haven't seen that last of the hypocrisy and outrage from this president. I would have thought that nationalizing the banks would have got people outaged, then it was the 2 auto makers...America is heading down a slippery slope, that is for sure!!

Life is hard, its even harder when your stupid!!
    -John Wayne

• Stumpy, we haven't seen that last of the hypocrisy and outrage from this president. I would have thought that nationalizing the banks would have got people outaged, then it was the 2 auto makers...America is heading down a slippery slope, that is for sure!!

Keep your powder dry, Todd

Not as controversial as, say, President Reagan laying a wreath at the Nazi cemetery at Bitberg, right (or, rather, a cemetery that also included SS troops' graves)? I think that Obama speaking as he did was just as "sensitive" a gesture as Reagan's. Kind of reminds me of the old Otto Von Bismarck quote: Laws and sausages are two things you don't want to see being made...

Well, CT, I agree with just about everything you said above except I never thought that what Nixon did was all so wrong. Compared to LBJ, Carter, Clinton, Bambi and even Kennedy, I thought Nixon was a pretty good prez. Of all the Democrat presidents who've served during my lifetime (ranging from FDR to Hussein Obama), I thought Harry S. Truman was the only one worth a damn.

I'd actually put Nixon and Kennedy at roughly the same level! The liberal press and FOX News would never admit it, but both presidents' accomplishments are comparable. Kennedy sounds like a conservative in his Inaugural address and Nixon was about as moderate a Republican as you'll find in the second half of the 20th century. Both men had personal flaws, Kennedy's philandering; Nixon's paranoia. Both achieved foreign policy victories: Kennedy's handling of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the nuclear test ban treaty; Nixon's triumphant trip to China. Clinton and GW Bush make JFK and RMN look like Washington and Lincoln--okay, maybe not, but you get the idea. ;)
    As for Harry Truman, he was wildly UNpopular during his entire tenure in office. History has proven to be kind, however.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• Just a random political post here. I despise both parties and here's an example of each of their odious behavior. They make me sick. What sickens me even more is how people of both parties check their brains at the door and frame their arguments within their political biases. The way I see it, one has to be able to call their own party on their corrupt ways.

I'm curious, CT. How would you categorize your personal ideology? Are you a liberal? conservative? moderate? No preferences? Are you trying to tell us you have no political biases?

Myself, I'm a take-no-prisoners conservative. At the same time, I have to agree with your low opinion of both political parties. I used to be a straight-ticket Republican, who voted that way in every single election from 1960 through 1990. Then Bush 41 took the shine off with his broken "read-my-lips" pledge. Bush 43 completed my total disillusionment with the parties, per se. Right now, there are only two U.S. politicians of whom I'm aware that I would vote for - Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina.

• I'm curious, CT. How would you categorize your personal ideology? Are you a liberal? conservative? moderate? No preferences? Are you trying to tell us you have no political biases?

Myself, I'm a take-no-prisoners conservative. At the same time, I have to agree with your low opinion of both political parties. I used to be a straight-ticket Republican, who voted that way in every single election from 1960 through 1990. Then Bush 41 took the shine off with his broken "read-my-lips" pledge. Bush 43 completed my total disillusionment with the parties, per se. Right now, there are only two U.S. politicians of whom I'm aware that I would vote for - Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma and Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina.

There's so much more to it than a mere message board post can say, but offhand I'd call myself a "Reagan Democrat"! My grandfather, whom I idolized, was a Democrat but his hero was Barry Goldwater ("Conscience of a Conservative" was always by his side)! Gramps (God rest his soul) never voted democratic except when he had to in the primaries.

When I registered at eighteen, I registered deomocrat, but only in imitation of my grandfather (hey, I was a kid!). I'm more a conservative than anything else, and loved McCain until he was "Bushwhacked" and he--as well as the Republicans--lost sight of who they were. The GOP is a shameful, piss-poor imitation of what it once was. The democrats are way too leftist for my tastes. I think that both parties need to play to the middle so there isn't so much acrimony. Remember those tales of Tip O'Neill and President Reagan chatting after work? We need that in Washington again.

Do you find it odd that I love Ronald Reagan, Bush 41 (until the tax pledge lie) yet also respect FDR, Truman, and JFK in terms of their political ability? For what it's worth, I think Teddy Roosevelt was the best president of the twentieth century.

Having said that, I judge the man in office not by his political affiliation or within the framework of political biases, as those too often make sheep of us all. I don't need FOX or the New York Times to tell me how to think.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I think that both parties need to play to the middle so there isn't so much acrimony. Remember those tales of Tip O'Neill and President Reagan chatting after work? We need that in Washington again.

Here's where we part ways - you'd probably have a heart attack if I told you the lengths to which I'd go to completely crush left-wingers. I don't consider people like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Charles Schumer, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama the "loyal opposition" but as deadly enemies of my values system.

• Here's where we part ways - you'd probably have a heart attack if I told you the lengths to which I'd go to completely crush left-wingers. I don't consider people like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, Charles Schumer, Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi and Barack Obama the "loyal opposition" but as deadly enemies of my values system.

LOL! The names you've listed don't exactly inspire me to move to Massachusetts, New York, California, etc.

The funny thing about senators, congressmen, and governors is that they are often obliterated from the collective memory, historically speaking. The average joe or jane on the street probably never even heard of Mike Mansfield, Sam Rayburn, or Robert Taft; all were movers and shakers once upon a time.

I'll bet we Americans are boring the living heck out of the European Duke fans who may have wondered into this thread... ;)

As for me, I'm going to bump that In Harm's Way thread, if I can think of a reason...

"Day off?"
    "Off day."

• I'll bet we Americans are boring the living heck out of the European Duke fans who may have wondered into this thread... ;)

Not all of 'em - DukePilgrim from Belfast (also known as Mike) was very interested in the presidential race.

Edited once, last by Stumpy ().

• The funny thing about senators, congressmen, and governors is that they are often obliterated from the collective memory, historically speaking. The average joe or jane on the street probably never even heard of Mike Mansfield, Sam Rayburn, or Robert Taft; all were movers and shakers once upon a time.

Well, when it comes to politics, I'm not your average joe on the street. I've been a political junkie since about 1958.

I think the political ignorance and apathy of average Americans are the biggest threats this country faces. Because let's face it, ignoramuses like that keep perpetuating in office people like those I mentioned.

I personally feel everyone who aspires to vote should have to pass a political awareness test beforehand. And show a picture ID to boot. Hell, most Americans can't even name the people who represent them in Congress, much less what their political positions are.

• I personally feel everyone who aspires to vote should have to pass a political awareness test beforehand. And show a picture ID to boot. Hell, most Americans can't even name the people who represent them in Congress, much less what their political positions are.

Hear, Hear!

You can roll a turd in powdered sugar but that doesn’t make it a doughnut.

• Well, when it comes to politics, I'm not your average joe on the street. I've been a political junkie since about 1958.

I think the political ignorance and apathy of average Americans are the biggest threats this country faces. Because let's face it, ignoramuses like that keep perpetuating in office people like those I mentioned.

I personally feel everyone who aspires to vote should have to pass a political awareness test beforehand. And show a picture ID to boot. Hell, most Americans can't even name the people who represent them in Congress, much less what their political positions are.

I wasn't thinking of any Duke Wayne forum members when I made that statement, that's for sure! I know you know your stuff, Stumpy. :)

Living and working in and around Miami as I have all my life, I can tell you that most immigrants who become naturalized citizens--and there are many who follow the due process, believe me--know more about the U.S. government than the average native-born yuppie.

"Day off?"
    "Off day."